Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Newbies here :-D

Newbies here :-D

Old Feb 14th 2011, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

benandkelly will become famous soon enoughbenandkelly will become famous soon enough
Default Newbies here :-D

Hello all. We are a couple (both 33) with children aged 7, 11 & 13 and we want to move to Spain.

We are interested in the Costa Blanca region, possibly around the Alicante area.
We would like to be close to a nice beach but not so close that were kept awake by all the late night partying lol.

I work in elecronic security but also have electrical qualifications. I would like to find work in either of the two industries.

None of us can speak spanish but we are keen to learn it.

I have a few questions I'd like to ask...

1, whats the best way to find a job in/around Alicante? (Bearing in mind we dont yet speak spanish)

2, Does anyone have any suggestions of places to live that would be good for for the kids? (we dont want OTT lively or OTT quiet lol)

3,What are State schools like for english kids to attend?

Thats all i can think of for now but i'm sure there will be lots of questions as we go along.

I look forward to getting to know you all

Thanks in advance

BenandKelly
Old Feb 14th 2011, 3:48 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbies here :-D

Originally Posted by benandkelly
Hello all. We are a couple (both 33) with children aged 7, 11 & 13 and we want to move to Spain.

We are interested in the Costa Blanca region, possibly around the Alicante area.
We would like to be close to a nice beach but not so close that were kept awake by all the late night partying lol.

I work in elecronic security but also have electrical qualifications. I would like to find work in either of the two industries.

None of us can speak spanish but we are keen to learn it.

I have a few questions I'd like to ask...

1, whats the best way to find a job in/around Alicante? (Bearing in mind we dont yet speak spanish)

2, Does anyone have any suggestions of places to live that would be good for for the kids? (we dont want OTT lively or OTT quiet lol)

3,What are State schools like for english kids to attend?

Thats all i can think of for now but i'm sure there will be lots of questions as we go along.

I look forward to getting to know you all

Thanks in advance

BenandKelly
You want to go to Spain or to Canada? And hów old are your children ???http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...74#post8265574
Old Feb 14th 2011, 3:53 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

There is very little work for the Spanish who speak fluently in their own language so very few jobs for english who do not have any Spanish at all.

Rosemary
Old Feb 14th 2011, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

benandkelly will become famous soon enoughbenandkelly will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jur
You want to go to Spain or to Canada? And hów old are your children ???http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...74#post8265574
Well done :-)
We did want to move to Canada. Unfortunately it didnt work out.

Oh sorry..... My youngest is 7 Tomorrow. Middle one is 11 and eldest is 13 in April.

I take it your one of those people who likes to think they're above everyone else!!!

Last edited by benandkelly; Feb 14th 2011 at 4:05 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:09 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

well spotted Jur...give them a chance though that was about 3 weeks ago, anyone can change their mind
Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Oh sorry..... My youngest is 7 Tomorrow. Middle one is 11 and eldest is 13 in April.

I take it your one of those people who likes to think they're above everyone else!!!
It does look a bit strange when you get the ages of your children wrong, still I cant see why anyone would post fake stories?

I would love to give you some positive news, but unfortunately can't. Unemployment is at 20% in Spain (more than double that in the UK), you dont have any Spanish electrician qualifications and you dont speak Spanish, so unless you know some British people who can give you a job, I cant imagine how you could make a living.

Sorry
Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:18 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I personally think that 13 is too old to move a child into a foreign speaking school! At 13 in Spain they will be in year 2 or 3 of secondary school (ESO) with ALL lessons in Spanish or Valencian - I can't see how they could possibly cope.

... just my opinion though! Our 3 children moved here when they were 7 (twins) and 9.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

I would stay in the UK if I were you.....review again in a few years time, meanwhile learn the language.......you might also get the chance to pick up a cheap house then.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by casa del sol
I would stay in the UK if I were you.....review again in a few years time, meanwhile learn the language.......you might also get the chance to pick up a cheap house then.
I doubt it, North Lincolnshire has some of the cheapest houses in Western Europe
Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt it, North Lincolnshire has some of the cheapest houses in Western Europe
....see what you mean Scunthorpe 3 bed £35k......I am sure you can find something for that in Spain, not so sure it will be near the sea though.....will you be renting?
Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:54 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

No, he's just very observant.

Given the appalling rate of unemployment here in Spain, my advice would be to get reasonably fluent in Spanish BEFORE you come out.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I personally think that 13 is too old to move a child into a foreign speaking school! At 13 in Spain they will be in year 2 or 3 of secondary school (ESO) with ALL lessons in Spanish or Valencian - I can't see how they could possibly cope.
... just my opinion though! Our 3 children moved here when they were 7 (twins) and 9.
Agree, 11 and 13 is an ackward enough age as it is, without moving them to a school where they haven't a clue of the language. Like you, I wouldn't even consider it with children that age, but many do. The parents seem to want to go, and that what matters. I have to say with no promise of a job, no language skills, it sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to be another negative post, but we have seen a few families go back to the UK due to lack of work and language skills, personally I would never have taken my kids out of school especially at 13, hubby was taken from one country to another at 8 and felt the change of language put him behind for years.
He should know. Also the children will be put back a year until opefully they will catch up with the language,

I agree with the above, learn the language get the children schooled then come over. House for 35k certainly not around here, unless a ruin.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 7:44 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, yes I´m the best one here, you better be my friend! Welcome to the forum.

Originally Posted by bil
No, he's just very observant.

Given the appalling rate of unemployment here in Spain, my advice would be to get reasonably fluent in Spanish BEFORE you come out.
Thanks bil, fully agree, without Spanish in Spain you don´t get very far.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 7:55 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jur
Yes, yes I´m the best one here, you better be my friend! Welcome to the forum.

HEAR HEAR

Thanks bil, fully agree, without Spanish in Spain you don´t get very far.
UNLESS ONE GETS TO KNOW SOME REALLY REALLY NICE PEOPLE ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.