Old Oct 2nd 2013, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie

Well my two cents worth is I have never been to Malaga other than the airport. So no help there. I am not boy nor girl, I am a 50 something woman who stays in Spain for the winter. Never had a winter break anywhere. I am a solitary kinda person or a small group, so that's no help either. Maybe there are just not many people on the forum who holiday in the winter here ?
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Vera952 is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as I'm aware there are mainly Spanish living in Malaga (city) and it is a bustling city like any other. Most of the expat communities are spread east and west along the coastal towns of the Malaga province. There are many 'pockets' of expat urbinisations that co-mingle with Spanish residents, but it all depends if you want to be near bus and train services or if you have the use of a car for the duration of your stay.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Pat1708 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
Well my two cents worth is I have never been to Malaga other than the airport. So no help there. I am not boy nor girl, I am a 50 something woman who stays in Spain for the winter. Never had a winter break anywhere. I am a solitary kinda person or a small group, so that's no help either. Maybe there are just not many people on the forum who holiday in the winter here ?
Thanks for your feedback, well actually I am in my 60s so I get your boy/girl comment, just a turn of phrase, I am looking to as a start point winter break and I hope to then extend that to something a bit more permanent if I like it.

I am also kindof looking for an easy start that is not community based but has a community in the area, I thought Malaga as a region as I have been there many years ago, not the city but on the fringes.

As an out loud thought, I would have thought that most expats have a start point, like for example, go for an extended period, try it, and then start to cut the uk ties, perhaps I've got that wrong

Either way I am still open to suggestions regarding areas, regions, towns that offer a decent balance between community and quiet time

Thanks again

Pat
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Vera952
As far as I'm aware there are mainly Spanish living in Malaga (city) and it is a bustling city like any other. Most of the expat communities are spread east and west along the coastal towns of the Malaga province. There are many 'pockets' of expat urbinisations that co-mingle with Spanish residents, but it all depends if you want to be near bus and train services or if you have the use of a car for the duration of your stay.
I will have a car, fringe communities for me feel best as a start point, Malaga as a city is not for me but having the city close (30 to 50 km) is fine.

I know this might sound strange but I really don't want to end up in 'little Britain' but having a supportive community is also a real bonus.

I thought about taking a two week holiday and drive the coast east and west of Malaga and see if there really are 2 bedroomed apartments for €350 a month worth committing 6 months too.

Thanks for your comments

Pat
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

Vera952 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nerja (east of Malaga) has an expat community but still retains the 'Spanish' element, as does the inland towns of Arroyo de la Miel, Coin, Alhaurin and Alhaurin el Grande (west of Malaga). Be warned though, during winter these areas tend to be a quite a few degrees lower than the coastal urbanisations!
I live in Fuengirola but we have friends that live in Alhaurin (which is only a 20 min drive from us) but during winter they are wearing proper winter coats whereas we only need lighweight jackets!

La Carihuela (just outside of Torremolinos) is another place to 'check-out' on your holiday when you're down. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Vera952; Oct 3rd 2013 at 7:26 pm. Reason: *typo error!*
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pat1708

As an out loud thought, I would have thought that most expats have a start point, like for example, go for an extended period, try it, and then start to cut the uk ties, perhaps I've got that wrong
Pat
Don't think you have it wrong, sounds very wise to me, try before you buy.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Vera952
Nerja (east of Malaga) has an expat community but still retains the 'Spanish' element, as does the inland towns of Arroyo de la Miel, Coin, Alhaurin and Alhaurin el Grande (west of Malaga). Be warned though, during winter these areas tend to be a quite a few degrees lower than the coastal urbanisations!
I live in Fuengirola but we have friends that live in Alhaurin (which is only a 20 min drive from us) but during winter they are wearing proper winter coats whereas we only need lighweight jackets!

La Carihuela (just outside of Torremolinos) is another place to 'check-out' on your holiday when you're down. Hope this helps!
That's great stuff thank you very much

Theses will now be on my hit list

Regards

Pat