Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

new Iceland store, Benidorm, opening 22nd June

new Iceland store, Benidorm, opening 22nd June

Old Sep 23rd 2010, 4:19 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new Iceland store, Benidorm, opening 22nd June

Originally Posted by HBG
As my other half is in England at the moment, I’ve stocked up with healthy food to get my fitness back. I noticed that she had been to Iceland a few times recently, but hardly ever bother to look in the freezer.

For lunch today, I started preparing a healthy tuna salad, but something drove me to open the freezer. Right on top was a giant packet of frozen Chinese spare ribs. How can you resist something like that? The frozen chips were a bit further down, right next to a vegetable curry.

I’ll have the salad tonight – maybe.
our Iceland sells bag salad for less than they charge in Mercadona
Old Sep 24th 2010, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

As some of you know I have just started a new business with friends and money is just a little tight at the moment but my friend and I go to Iceland on a Friday night - head straight for the reduced items and last week managed to bag (each), one gammon joint, one beef joint, stuffed chicken thighs and a cooked chicken, sliced ham, cheese, etc etc - all for approx €20 each and it fed both families for the week. Give me 30 mins and I will be there again!
Old Sep 24th 2010, 2:03 am
Account Closed

St. John is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't buy their 'use again and again and again' bags. My two did not survive the 420 km journey home.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 2:44 am
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SueG
... head straight for the reduced items and last week managed to bag (each), one gammon joint, one beef joint, stuffed chicken thighs and a cooked chicken, sliced ham, cheese, etc etc - all for approx €20 each and it fed both families for the week. ...
Ahhh so that's why Mums go to Iceland ?!?
Old Sep 24th 2010, 3:48 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St. John
Don't buy their 'use again and again and again' bags. My two did not survive the 420 km journey home.
Did you hang them on your handlbars ?
Old Sep 24th 2010, 4:03 am
Account Closed

St. John is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
Did you hang them on your handlbars ?
No, from the landing ski's of my own helicopter.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

As other posters have said, exactly what point are people trying to prove by saying they only shop in Spanish places? Why buy essentials at an inflated price in a Spanish supermarket when you can brave the shame of buying a few basics in Iceland? I stock up on squashes, sauces, tea, biscuits, beans, tomato puree (try finding that in a Spanish shop), smoked haddock for kedgeree... and new potatoes with that English-grown taste that I have never found in Spain! I also love their black forest gateau. I once saw a gaggle of Spanish teenagers pretending to be English buying up the whole confectionery aisle, and a posh Spanish couple drooling over shortbread biscuits. When Spanish people live abroad longterm, they seem to go crazy about serrano ham and get it sent over in vacuum packs, there is no real difference between that and Brits abroad craving a crumpet or a sausage roll.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 9:18 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona
As other posters have said, exactly what point are people trying to prove by saying they only shop in Spanish places? Why buy essentials at an inflated price in a Spanish supermarket when you can brave the shame of buying a few basics in Iceland? I stock up on squashes, sauces, tea, biscuits, beans, tomato puree (try finding that in a Spanish shop), smoked haddock for kedgeree... and new potatoes with that English-grown taste that I have never found in Spain! I also love their black forest gateau. I once saw a gaggle of Spanish teenagers pretending to be English buying up the whole confectionery aisle, and a posh Spanish couple drooling over shortbread biscuits. When Spanish people live abroad longterm, they seem to go crazy about serrano ham and get it sent over in vacuum packs, there is no real difference between that and Brits abroad craving a crumpet or a sausage roll.
See what I mean British sense of humor..........

I remember my mum occasionally getting hold of serrano and chroizo, I think at the time she would have slept with the postman to be able get them, in fact I think my dad would have slept with him too......

Once we had unto "sent over", and my friends were all sick by the smell when she made caldo. In fact the smell of the unto made me feel abit queasy, after not smelling it for so long.

But if the things from home are available, why not.
you forgot to mention the vintage cheddar, white stilton with cranberries, caramel digestives, just a few of my favourites......

Forget the cringe factor, get into Iceland, buy your favourites, and save some money.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 9:56 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I emptied the freezer of all the Iceland food from back home while she was back home, but now that she’s back she’s sneaked out and filled it up again.

It’s quite nostalgic seeing all that stuff from the UK, I was searching for the chocolate ice lollies earlier but she’s finished them all. I did find the curries, the egg-fried frozen rice and the Thai vegetable mixes, and a couple of giant beefburgers that won’t fit in the frying pan.

I’m going to have to speak to her about the chocolate ice lollies, there were eight in the pack and she only bought them yesterday.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 9:58 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

As other posters have said, exactly what point are people trying to prove by saying they only shop in Spanish places?

To keep the myth alive that everything is always better and cheaper if it's spanish!
Old Oct 17th 2010, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jackytoo
To keep the myth alive that everything is always better and cheaper if it's spanish![/QUOTE

The "myth" is alive and well providing that you keep away from the big supermarkets.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

Not even Lidl and Día are cheap any more!!