Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

new Iceland store, Benidorm, opening 22nd June

new Iceland store, Benidorm, opening 22nd June

Old Jun 22nd 2010, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new Iceland store, Benidorm, opening 22nd June

Went and had a look around at about 5.00 p.m. No where near as busy as I thought it would be - mind you mostly English doing their whole weekly shop! Yes - I was good spent less than €20 and nothing frozen!
Old Jun 24th 2010, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

Kayak is an unknown quantity at this point

So is it worth the trip? I've been to a few British supermarkets on the costa and most of them are full of the worst of british food or 50% pork sausages you know the sort jamie olivier stopped school kids from eating!

What sort of waitrose products do they sell?

Does anyone know where to buy boddingtons on the costa blanca?!

Thanx and looking forward to going to Iceland pity tesco don't come here!
Old Jun 24th 2010, 7:49 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

There's been an Iceland in Estepona for ten years - I have never been to it. But then, Estepona is a lot more Spanish and has a lot more going for it than most places on the costas.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 8:32 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
There's been an Iceland in Estepona for ten years - I have never been to it. But then, Estepona is a lot more Spanish and has a lot more going for it than most places on the costas.
The Iceland stores that have been discussed are actually a company called Overseas SL which has the right to sell Iceland products.

They do not have a store in Estepona so it must be some other enterprise with the right to sell Iceland products.

There used to be one in Nerja some years ago but it closed down.

http://overseas.es/
Old Jun 24th 2010, 8:56 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

It was called "ICELAND". Google streetview shows it's not there any more. Obviously Estepona didn't have enough expats to support such an enterprise...
Old Jun 24th 2010, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Thanks.

Does any one have the address of the new iceland store in benidorm? Strange its not on their website yet.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 9:21 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

who owns all those thousands of newly built apartments in Estepona if not ex-pats, or are they all empty? Is it true the Ayuntamiento is broke?
Old Jun 24th 2010, 4:58 pm
FreeThinker

Originally Posted by jackytoo
who owns all those thousands of newly built apartments in Estepona if not ex-pats, or are they all empty? Is it true the Ayuntamiento is broke?
Mostly Spanish - those few which aren't empty. Estepona is very Spanish. Yes there are, of course, a good number of expats but it remains essentially a Spanish resort.

I suspect most Ayuntamientos are technically broke.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kayak
Thanks.

Does any one have the address of the new iceland store in benidorm? Strange its not on their website yet.
Can't remember address but head for La Marina it's by Carrefour
Old Jun 25th 2010, 6:16 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I suspect I'm in a minority here, but why would anyone use Iceland? Along with Asda, I avoid them in the UK like the plague. Now if Sainsburys or even Waitrose (bit too expensive though) were opening branches in Spain I could understand.
Iceland sell Waitrose goods along with the frozen stuff, have a much better stock of non Iceland goods than they do in the UK, remember Iceland is not the company, it is Overseas trading which have been allowed to use the Iceland brand name in Spain.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

urgh!

As a Brit living on the costa blanca, I got dragged along to the Iceland benidorm store for my second time. Yes I wasn't happy- I hate the idea of iceland- I mean Frozen joints of meat into the oven and your sunday roast is ready in 2 hours- yuck!

However we stopped briefly in June and picked up some BBQ stuff and a few bit's and bobs. Saturday my Spanish wife suggested she'd like to go back and buy a few things she misses from England- I mean what can you possibly miss?!!

Off we went......

We went in the store and the first thing she picks up is broccoli, I was fuming, we pick up all our veggies at the local market every week, why would I want some thing that's trucked down from the UK? On closer inspection I was expecting to see Spanish broccoli trucked to the UK packed and re trucked back down to Spain, no this was from Cornwall. I was fuming. Why would we want to buy this? I always moaned in the UK about buying Spanish produce when we could buy something locally grown.

Around the shop........

Full of crap I thought, every thing I hated about the UK, yes the freezer to Sunday lunch dinners (ewwwww) sausages that contain 40% pork and cochineal (google it).

So off we went home, with loads of crap my wife missed from the UK.

The worst thing about the trip? When we ate the broccoli, it was the best i've ever tasted. Nice and firm before we steamed it it felt very fresh (the market broccoli is often spongy and old).

...........I can't believe i'm in Spain eating British produce......
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 5:48 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kayak
urgh!

As a Brit living on the costa blanca, I got dragged along to the Iceland benidorm store for my second time. Yes I wasn't happy- I hate the idea of iceland- I mean Frozen joints of meat into the oven and your sunday roast is ready in 2 hours- yuck!

However we stopped briefly in June and picked up some BBQ stuff and a few bit's and bobs. Saturday my Spanish wife suggested she'd like to go back and buy a few things she misses from England- I mean what can you possibly miss?!!

Off we went......

We went in the store and the first thing she picks up is broccoli, I was fuming, we pick up all our veggies at the local market every week, why would I want some thing that's trucked down from the UK? On closer inspection I was expecting to see Spanish broccoli trucked to the UK packed and re trucked back down to Spain, no this was from Cornwall. I was fuming. Why would we want to buy this? I always moaned in the UK about buying Spanish produce when we could buy something locally grown.

Around the shop........

Full of crap I thought, every thing I hated about the UK, yes the freezer to Sunday lunch dinners (ewwwww) sausages that contain 40% pork and cochineal (google it).

So off we went home, with loads of crap my wife missed from the UK.

The worst thing about the trip? When we ate the broccoli, it was the best i've ever tasted. Nice and firm before we steamed it it felt very fresh (the market broccoli is often spongy and old).

...........I can't believe i'm in Spain eating British produce......
Just goes to show that inverted snobbery about all things British isnt necessarily right anymore!!! In our local Iceland, there are a fair few Spanish who seem to like the prepacked food and ready meals, and I think, like it or like it not, the way of "fast food" livng in Spain is coming. Busy working Spanish mums are seeing the benefits of not having to slave over a hot stove after a long day at work or spend money going out to eat. Spanish supermarkets do a few ready meals, but they havent got it right.

Its a shame, but Spain is in europe and the Spanish want European "luxuries"!!

I personally dont buy the prepacked or ready meals, but I do get a few bits that the kids and I like that you cant get in Spain yet!! - Mainly Lenor fabric conditioner and real "Diet Coke" which doesnt taste the same as "Coke Light".... oh and pop tarts!

Jo xxx
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
Just goes to show that inverted snobbery about all things British isnt necessarily right anymore!!! In our local Iceland, there are a fair few Spanish who seem to like the prepacked food and ready meals, and I think, like it or like it not, the way of "fast food" livng in Spain is coming. Busy working Spanish mums are seeing the benefits of not having to slave over a hot stove after a long day at work or spend money going out to eat. Spanish supermarkets do a few ready meals, but they havent got it right.

Its a shame, but Spain is in europe and the Spanish want European "luxuries"!!

I personally dont buy the prepacked or ready meals, but I do get a few bits that the kids and I like that you cant get in Spain yet!! - Mainly Lenor fabric conditioner and real "Diet Coke" which doesnt taste the same as "Coke Light".... oh and pop tarts!

Jo xxx
I feel the same way.

Some of it is awful esp the cheap ready meals.

But we get excited to go there because we can pick up bits that we cannot get here.
Ummmm the sweets isle.Sweet heaven with so much choice.

Clotted cream. Extra thick sliced bread.Ready to toast pancakes.Etc Etc Etc

We travel approx 1.5 hrs for this pleasure but only once every 3 months ish.

Oh and the blue tac.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

But it appears that many independant english food stockists are suffering because all the mums are going to Iceland.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 3:06 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

As my other half is in England at the moment, I’ve stocked up with healthy food to get my fitness back. I noticed that she had been to Iceland a few times recently, but hardly ever bother to look in the freezer.

For lunch today, I started preparing a healthy tuna salad, but something drove me to open the freezer. Right on top was a giant packet of frozen Chinese spare ribs. How can you resist something like that? The frozen chips were a bit further down, right next to a vegetable curry.

I’ll have the salad tonight – maybe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.