British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   new Iceland store, Benidorm, opening 22nd June (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/new-iceland-store-benidorm-opening-22nd-june-673097/)

phyllis Jun 19th 2010 2:40 pm

new Iceland store, Benidorm, opening 22nd June

fantastic, can't wait, the new Iceland store is opening on Tuesday, 22nd June, saw in the Costa Blanca News yesterday that they are going to have their own in house bakery.;)

jdr Jun 19th 2010 2:45 pm

Re: new Iceland store, Benidorm, opening 22nd June

Originally Posted by phyllis (Post 8643027)
fantastic, can't wait, the new Iceland store is opening on Tuesday, 22nd June, saw in the Costa Blanca News yesterday that they are going to have their own in house bakery.;)

Expect high prices for a while, Mijas was the same till they realized they had to compete with Spanish places and had to reduce the prices.

steviedeluxe Jun 19th 2010 2:49 pm

I suspect I'm in a minority here, but why would anyone use Iceland? Along with Asda, I avoid them in the UK like the plague. Now if Sainsburys or even Waitrose (bit too expensive though) were opening branches in Spain I could understand.

steviedeluxe Jun 19th 2010 2:54 pm

Is there a Lidl in/near Benidorm?

jojojojojo Jun 19th 2010 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe (Post 8643045)
I suspect I'm in a minority here, but why would anyone use Iceland? Along with Asda, I avoid them in the UK like the plague. Now if Sainsburys or even Waitrose (bit too expensive though) were opening branches in Spain I could understand.

The Iceland in Mijas also has Waitrose stock! But either way, they sell Lenor!

jo xxx

lynnxa Jun 19th 2010 4:02 pm

the Iceland in Javea has an instore cafe about to open/just opened

it's the busiest supermarket in town now - popular with all nationalities

many items, including fresh stuff (veg, salad) is often cheaper than Mercadona

TestaRossa Jun 19th 2010 4:07 pm

Highlight of my trip in March was going to Iceland and od'ing on all the stuff I can't get in Italy!!! Steak and kidney puddings, crunchies, crumpets - heaven!! :thumbsup:

M&S in la canada was a big disappointment though, the scones were nice though....

It's taken me moving to Italy to appreciate the British pleasures of Southern Spain!! :D

Casa Santo Estevo Jun 19th 2010 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe (Post 8643045)

I was agree with you until you started talking about going to the likes of Sainsburys and Waitrose. No Brit-shops up here thankfully.

cricketman Jun 19th 2010 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo (Post 8643157)
I was agree with you until you started talking about going to the likes of Sainsburys and Waitrose. No Brit-shops up here thankfully.

Nor do you need them in Galicia, it's food heaven! May I make a bold statement - the best place to eat in the world!

Though it does rain a lot!;)

HBG Jun 19th 2010 4:37 pm

The Iceland in Torrevieja is the busiest shop in town, and I wish it hadn’t opened. It’s like a magnet for expats. My wife denies shopping there, but I’m not daft, even though she hides the stuff at the bottom of the freezer.

We had curry and chips today, I was going to say Yuk, but it wasn’t too bad and only cost £2. She had put the packaging with the pound signs all over them at the bottom of the rubbish bin.

My health levels are falling rapidly, instead of regularly eating fresh fish and fruit and vegetables, it’s now arriving in Iceland packets, cooked in the microwave in minutes. And the pork pies and Mars bars, I’m frightened to get on the bathroom scales.

cricketman Jun 19th 2010 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by HBG (Post 8643172)
The Iceland in Torrevieja is the busiest shop in town, and I wish it hadn’t opened. It’s like a magnet for expats. My wife denies shopping there, but I’m not daft, even though she hides the stuff at the bottom of the freezer.

We had curry and chips today, I was going to say Yuk, but it wasn’t too bad and only cost £2. She had put the packaging with the pound signs all over them at the bottom of the rubbish bin.

My health levels are falling rapidly, instead of regularly eating fresh fish and fruit and vegetables, it’s now arriving in Iceland packets, cooked in the microwave in minutes. And the pork pies and Mars bars, I’m frightened to get on the bathroom scales.

And careful, those Iceland meals have more than the daily recommend amount of salt in each one!

They have to add something to give them flavour :blink:

Casa Santo Estevo Jun 19th 2010 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 8643168)
Nor do you need them in Galicia, it's food heaven! May I make a bold statement - the best place to eat in the world!

Though it does rain a lot!;)

You want to start an argument? ...........Then get a Basque and a Galician in one room and get them to talk about food......

PS we have a Lidl in Monforte …you cannot miss it for all of the GB plated cars outside.:rofl:

cricketman Jun 19th 2010 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo (Post 8643200)
You want to start an argument? ...........Then get a Basque and a Galician in one room and get them to talk about food......

PS we have a Lidl in Monforte …you cannot miss it for all of the GB plated cars outside.:rofl:

That's true! Food accross the whole North Coast is amazing from Galicia to Catalunya

jojojojojo Jun 19th 2010 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo (Post 8643200)

Lidls isnt english tho is it, its German. I always find it a little untidy and mucky. I didnt shop there when I was in the UK, nor do I here

Jo xxx

Casa Santo Estevo Jun 19th 2010 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by jojojojojo (Post 8643213)
Lidls isnt english tho is it, its German. I always find it a little untidy and mucky. I didnt shop there when I was in the UK, nor do I here

Jo xxx

I know I was only pointing our how some brits love the shop and cannot avoid it, even if Cricketman and I think it is a great foodies place to be.