Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New entry travel rules from non EU / Schengen countries

New entry travel rules from non EU / Schengen countries

Old Sep 20th 2022, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New entry travel rules from non EU / Schengen countries

Originally Posted by bobd22
​​​​​​Yep agree. My understanding is at the airport's that do allow UK citizens to use the E Gates that is for passport check they are then required or should be required to go to another desk for passport stamp if non resident. I accept practice may be different as always. I will just take it as it comes when we go back next month being resident I'm hoping for no stamp to enter at Malaga but I will wait and see.
Returned to Malaga from UK today. We were bussed to a vast passport control hall (never seen before) with snaking queues for British and other non-EU, and much shorter line for EU citizens. I produced my passport and TIE, and after looking at them for a few seconds, they were handed back and I was allowed to go through, no stamping. Luggage was already on the carousel and they no longer separate UK flights to go through the glass-fronted customs inspection area.
Old Sep 20th 2022, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joppa
Returned to Malaga from UK today. We were bussed to a vast passport control hall (never seen before) with snaking queues for British and other non-EU, and much shorter line for EU citizens. I produced my passport and TIE, and after looking at them for a few seconds, they were handed back and I was allowed to go through, no stamping. Luggage was already on the carousel and they no longer separate UK flights to go through the glass-fronted customs inspection area.
Thanks for the update hopefully same for me re stamping as for lengthy queue I accept now no reason to be treated any different to other 3rd country Nationals thanks to brexit.
Old Sep 21st 2022, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

dearleuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lou71

So to recap, your wife must travel with you, you must prove you are married and you will have to go through the manual passport gate together, even when EES kicks in next year.

Good luck and happy travels!
Got it

Thanks and good luck to you
Old Sep 21st 2022, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I have every faith in passport stamps

Old Sep 21st 2022, 8:33 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the update hopefully same for me re stamping as for lengthy queue I accept now no reason to be treated any different to other 3rd country Nationals thanks to brexit.
On my way out with Spanish family, we were directed to the comunitarios queue. As the border guard seemed to not to be in a bad mood I asked him, "how does this work, if I'm with my Spanish family do I go to comunitarios with them and if I'm travelling alone do I go to all passports?", he said that as I'm a resident I go to comunitarios and don't get a stamp.

On the way back in we were directed to a family queue which was for all nationalities (Spanish and British) and I didn't get a stamp, but non-resident Britons did.

So everything seemed as it should be, but as usual this will vary depending on airport, whoever's telling people which queue to go in, and what side of bed the border guard got out of that morning.

When British family visited three months back they were sampled in and out. They weren't stamped out of Italy a month before that but it wasn't a problem when entering Spain, it wasn't even remarked upon.

Anyway, the question of passport stamps should be academic by this time next year. Queues, maybe not.

Last edited by DLC; Sep 21st 2022 at 8:39 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2022, 11:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
On my way out with Spanish family, we were directed to the comunitarios queue. As the border guard seemed to not to be in a bad mood I asked him, "how does this work, if I'm with my Spanish family do I go to comunitarios with them and if I'm travelling alone do I go to all passports?", he said that as I'm a resident I go to comunitarios and don't get a stamp.

On the way back in we were directed to a family queue which was for all nationalities (Spanish and British) and I didn't get a stamp, but non-resident Britons did.

So everything seemed as it should be, but as usual this will vary depending on airport, whoever's telling people which queue to go in, and what side of bed the border guard got out of that morning.

When British family visited three months back they were sampled in and out. They weren't stamped out of Italy a month before that but it wasn't a problem when entering Spain, it wasn't even remarked upon.

Anyway, the question of passport stamps should be academic by this time next year. Queues, maybe not.
Thanks again for the information
Old Sep 22nd 2022, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

If the passport is stamped and physically checked by a border official and found to be over the number of days it won't be ignored. The scan of the passport will not show entry exit dates as no one other than UK passport office can add or remove data to the chip. The scan is merely details held on the passport. Spain or other countries would need their own data base to register in and out dates. Bit of pot luck at the moment but eventually ETIAS will make it one standard. As people say main thing is if not resident keep records to help prove entry exit a passport stamp helps re evidence.
I don’t think anyone has ever suggested that data is added or removed to the biometric chip on a passport. The scan of a passport in Spain will show your entry and exits relating to Spain and potentially other data.I think you underestimate the backend databases and intelligence that countries hold and the collaboration that exists between some countries regardless of Brexit. As soon as you check-in for a flight the destination country knows you are heading that way. Whether they choose to access that information is another matter. From all the posts on this thread its clear that practices of ‘stamping’ differ across the EU, therefore making it of limited value. As sure as eggs are eggs if the authorities wanted to prove an overstay and fine you they wouldn’t simply be relying on stamps in a passport (or lack of) to prove it. Globally ‘stamps’ are now old school (even though still done) if for no other reason than its incredibly easy to forge a stamp.
Old Sep 22nd 2022, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by UKMS
I don’t think anyone has ever suggested that data is added or removed to the biometric chip on a passport. The scan of a passport in Spain will show your entry and exits relating to Spain and potentially other data.I think you underestimate the backend databases and intelligence that countries hold and the collaboration that exists between some countries regardless of Brexit. As soon as you check-in for a flight the destination country knows you are heading that way. Whether they choose to access that information is another matter. From all the posts on this thread its clear that practices of ‘stamping’ differ across the EU, therefore making it of limited value. As sure as eggs are eggs if the authorities wanted to prove an overstay and fine you they wouldn’t simply be relying on stamps in a passport (or lack of) to prove it. Globally ‘stamps’ are now old school (even though still done) if for no other reason than its incredibly easy to forge a stamp.
I don't disagree with any of what you say. Point is though the information will not come from the passport chip it will come from the fact that Spain has logged the scan on a database both in and out if they use that. It's easy to look up what information is recorded on the biometric passport chip it's on the UK government site. I do not underestimate cross referral of information at all or that no doubt a passport stamp can be forged. That I would think would be extreme just to lengthen ones stay in Schengen zone but yes possible.
Old Sep 24th 2022, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Better hope your passports chip doesn't fail, they can!
Old Sep 24th 2022, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
Better hope your passports chip doesn't fail, they can!
of course they can, the same as someone can lose their passport, or damage it…… Im not sure what that has to do with anything ….. your travel history isn’t recorded on your passport chip.

Much the same as what happens if someone has 2 UK passports ? …. One with stamps in the other with no stamps….. you are still tracked…. Like it or not stamps serve little to no purpose beyond a superficial reference.
Old Sep 24th 2022, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

of course they can, the same as someone can lose their passport, or damage it…… Im not sure what that has to do with anything ….. your travel history isn’t recorded on your passport chip.

Much the same as what happens if someone has 2 UK passports ? …. One with stamps in the other with no stamps….. you are still tracked…. Like it or not stamps serve little to no purpose beyond a superficial reference.
I think it's more than superficial reference when ETIAS comes in stamps will be redundant at the moment they are the prescribed means of reference for border officials. The point you make re chips not a means of recording travel is the point I was making its a read information only chip.
Old Sep 24th 2022, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think it's more than superficial reference when ETIAS comes in stamps will be redundant at the moment they are the prescribed means of reference for border officials. The point you make re chips not a means of recording travel is the point I was making its a read information only chip.
completely agree about the chip … I’ve never said otherwise.

Even now (pre ETIAS) I can enter on one UK passport and leave on another and I’m pretty sure if I’d overstayed they would still pick me up from the back end system regardless of stamps.
Old Sep 24th 2022, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

This gives more in depth detail about how ETIAS and EES will work:

https://etias.com/articles/how-does-...;s%20itinerary.

Remember, ETIAS and EES are only applicable to third country nationals, not EU nationals or EU residents.

Old Sep 24th 2022, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lou71
This gives more in depth detail about how ETIAS and EES will work:

https://etias.com/articles/how-does-...;s%20itinerary.

Remember, ETIAS and EES are only applicable to third country nationals, not EU nationals or EU residents.
You’ll still be tracked though regardless of whether or not you queue with the riff raff 😁
Old Sep 24th 2022, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

completely agree about the chip … I’ve never said otherwise.

Even now (pre ETIAS) I can enter on one UK passport and leave on another and I’m pretty sure if I’d overstayed they would still pick me up from the back end system regardless of stamps.
I would think you are right that you would be picked up because I guess there are numerous databases logging our movements as we travel. My point though is irrespective of stamps being low tech and old fashioned. If someone's passport has been stamped into the Schengen zone and on leaving it is showing an overstay it is extremely likely if not certain that the border official will instigate an investigation. It may he that investigation is simply questions by the official and suitable answers satisfy them or it may be more in depth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.