Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New British army vehicles being made in Asturias

New British army vehicles being made in Asturias

Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New British army vehicles being made in Asturias

Originally Posted by Rotor
No it would not happen in the UK and they are not her troops either ,they belong to HRH.
Maybe the UK needs to do some catching up in terms of sexual equality?

Miriam Gonzalez accused The Times of being sexist last week

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/agend...lpepiage_3/Tes

My OH who has lived and worked in the UK and Spain sees the UK as far the more sexist (note, not sexiest!) of the two countries, especially in the way that British women behave.

But that's probably off topic
Old Jul 20th 2010, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Could this ever happen in the UK though?
A heavily pregnant young woman surveying her troops as minister of defense!
And Catalan to boot
No such thing as "minister of defense" in UK.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
No such thing as "minister of defense" in UK.
Very good, Mr. Anal. I'm sure you have muchos anos

Of course I meant Ministry of Defence, not that it changes the meaning of anything I wrote
Old Jul 20th 2010, 5:40 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Spain has a reputation for excellent engineers. Part of the reason why the US has just put in a huge order for solar and wind energy farms from a Spanish company.
No-one (well not me anyone) is arguing that there isn't engineering expertise in Spain. The point is the UK was capable for many years of designing and producing this type of vehicle, and I think it's a shame that we make fewer things as the years go by. Manufacture of tv sets or motor cars is one thing, but I feel that items vital to our defence should be made at home wherever possible
Old Jul 20th 2010, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
No-one (well not me anyone) is arguing that there isn't engineering expertise in Spain. The point is the UK was capable for many years of designing and producing this type of vehicle, and I think it's a shame that we make fewer things as the years go by. Manufacture of tv sets or motor cars is one thing, but I feel that items vital to our defence should be made at home wherever possible
Fair enough, though you wouldnt come to Spain if war broke out Stevie?

I can't imagine another war in Europe in our lifetimes, although I guess you never know
Old Jul 20th 2010, 5:53 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I can't imagine another war in Europe in our lifetimes, although I guess you never know
I remember French exocet missiles being used against us in the 80s. We should weigh up all possibilities when choosing arms and where they are made; it's not just a case of not imagining a war against a neighbour.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I don't discuss to you, but to talk about something it is necessary to know it, not what many people do, that don't know the spanish Defense Industry, and begins to says foolishness being based on certain prejudices

That UK has an important industry it doesn't mean that Spain doesn't have it. I already say that there is not better guarantee that the clients
Old Jul 20th 2010, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Could this ever happen in the UK though?

A heavily pregnant young woman surveying her troops as minister of defense!

And Catalan to boot
It is the misfortune of having a president (or Prime Minister) that is more stupid and more incompetent guy, and with less sense of the ridicule, of all the planet. And this is prolonged to his subordinate, of course. At the end, instead of having a Defense Minister in conditions, we have a housewife

Last edited by Relampago; Jul 20th 2010 at 11:52 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by johnnyone
What happens if we go to war with the Countries supplying our equipment?
Defence spending is not just a case of buying the cheapest.
You are quite right and in the past we had sufficient arms factories to keep the services fully supplied.

Now we get small arms rounds from India, webbing and uniforms from Pakistan and there was the well known case of the UK having to turn to Belgium a NATO member for artillery shells when we ran short in the Falklands and they refused to supply them.

I am sure that many of you will have seen the Santana in Spain and thought that it looked familiar that's because they were based on the Land Rover and made on licence initially.

The one area we really excel at is Design and innovation.

Last week the papers had the Bullet-proof custard for use in personal armour. The solar powered plane that was still flying after 7 days, and another item that escapes me.

On the other hand we also own, lock stock and barrel. Heckler and Koch probably the worlds most well known small arms manufacturer and involvement with numerous manufacturers.

The guy running the Aldershot Display claimed that the UK was still the Worlds third largest Arms, sales and manufacturing country.

Jim

Last edited by Bigger Jim; Jul 21st 2010 at 1:51 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

If it involved NATO Stevie might not have an option if he were young enough and the same possibly applies to many dependents.

Well the "War to end all Wars" didn't work did it? It's still the task of many people to prepare for War and pray for Peace.

Jim