Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Granada - moving there

Granada - moving there

Old Jul 3rd 2010, 5:11 pm
  #1  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 439
Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice
Default Granada - moving there

Any ideas on what Granada is like to live in?
Am considering moving there for 6months to see how it goes and want to be somewhere near the mountains and also near the coast to do some occasional diving.
The rental prices seem right at over 3 times less than the UK. It would take me a while to learn Spanish, which is the main thing I'm worried about.

Any other places that could be good to consider? I'm mid thirties so would prefer a bit of cultural areas and some lively city life rather than a quiet area.

Last edited by Scribble; Jul 3rd 2010 at 6:29 pm.
Scribble is offline  
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 10:14 pm
  #2  
Ex Expat
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: West Midlands, ex Granada province
Posts: 2,140
scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Granada - moving there

Do you mean Granada city or Granada province? Both are lovely. I live in the Alpujarras in Granada province, on the southern side of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Our village (Yegen) is about 45 minutes from the nearest coast (Adra). All the Alpujarran villages are very traditional. There are also three nice villages (los Guajares) in the mountains between Granada and Motril, these are handy for Salobrena, a very nice seaside town.

However if you want city lif then Granada city is probably best for you.
scampicat is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2010, 2:12 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Granada
Posts: 24
heath1974 is just really niceheath1974 is just really niceheath1974 is just really niceheath1974 is just really niceheath1974 is just really niceheath1974 is just really niceheath1974 is just really niceheath1974 is just really nice
Default Re: Granada - moving there

Originally Posted by scampicat
Do you mean Granada city or Granada province? Both are lovely. I live in the Alpujarras in Granada province, on the southern side of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Our village (Yegen) is about 45 minutes from the nearest coast (Adra). All the Alpujarran villages are very traditional. There are also three nice villages (los Guajares) in the mountains between Granada and Motril, these are handy for Salobrena, a very nice seaside town.

However if you want city lif then Granada city is probably best for you.
Might be as well looking around the city itself. Renting around the city centre will be more expensive, so try looking around the outskirts - Armilla, Ogijares, La Zubia, Monachil.

All are a short drive or bus trip from the centre of Granada and lively enough in their own rights.

With the autovia open now, you can get from Granada city, down to the coast in about 30 minutes or so. Likewise, you can be up into the mountains pretty quickly too.

Rental prices should be pretty reasonable, as like a lot of areas, there's plenty of new developments that aren't fully occupied. It's also possible to get full or part furnished properties for rental, fairly reasonably priced.

You don't say if you're single, or bringing a family, so it depends your particular requirements as to what would suit best I suppose.
heath1974 is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2010, 3:54 pm
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 439
Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice
Default Re: Granada - moving there

Originally Posted by heath1974
Might be as well looking around the city itself. Renting around the city centre will be more expensive, so try looking around the outskirts - Armilla, Ogijares, La Zubia, Monachil.

All are a short drive or bus trip from the centre of Granada and lively enough in their own rights.

With the autovia open now, you can get from Granada city, down to the coast in about 30 minutes or so. Likewise, you can be up into the mountains pretty quickly too.

Rental prices should be pretty reasonable, as like a lot of areas, there's plenty of new developments that aren't fully occupied. It's also possible to get full or part furnished properties for rental, fairly reasonably priced.

You don't say if you're single, or bringing a family, so it depends your particular requirements as to what would suit best I suppose.
Thanks

It would be for my GF and I but we are looking for something roundabout a 6 month let even though we might stay longer...2/3 bed apartment or something like that. Any thoughts on prices or some agents to look with? Spanish is very rough at the moment though learning slowly

Also, any idea if they do season lift passes or any deals for the Pradollano?

Last edited by Scribble; Jul 4th 2010 at 4:30 pm.
Scribble is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2010, 4:33 pm
  #5  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Fredbargate's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Land of no recession
Posts: 10,693
Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Granada - moving there

Originally Posted by qwertyjjj
Thanks

It would be for my GF and I but we are looking for something roundabout a 6 month let even though we might stay longe

http://www.libercasa.co.uk/granada/rentals
Fredbargate is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2010, 5:03 pm
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 439
Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice
Default Re: Granada - moving there

Thanks.
ARe there any areas to definitely avoid in and around Granada or is it pretty safe?
Scribble is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2010, 5:27 pm
  #7  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,156
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Granada - moving there

Originally Posted by qwertyjjj
Thanks.
ARe there any areas to definitely avoid in and around Granada or is it pretty safe?
Caminito del Rey

jdr is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2010, 5:40 pm
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 439
Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice
Default Re: Granada - moving there

Originally Posted by jdr
I'll make sure not to rent there then
Scribble is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2010, 5:40 pm
  #9  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Fredbargate's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Land of no recession
Posts: 10,693
Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Granada - moving there

jdr you are a spoilsport no sense of adventure
Fredbargate is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2010, 7:28 pm
  #10  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,156
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Granada - moving there

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
jdr you are a spoilsport no sense of adventure
I`ve been there, but not on that bit.
jdr is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2010, 9:13 pm
  #11  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Fredbargate's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Land of no recession
Posts: 10,693
Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Granada - moving there

Originally Posted by jdr
I`ve been there, but not on that bit.
Ditto


Fredbargate is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2010, 9:28 pm
  #12  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,156
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Granada - moving there

They made parts of this film there, if you go in the Hotel near the station they will show you the suite where Sinatra stayed.


jdr is offline  
Old Jul 5th 2010, 1:49 pm
  #13  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 439
Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice
Default Re: Granada - moving there

Originally Posted by jdr
They made parts of this film there, if you go in the Hotel near the station they will show you the suite where Sinatra stayed.


http://youtube.com/watch?v=R-zqZdHlIck
A slightly wooden actor isn't he?
Scribble is offline  
Old Jul 5th 2010, 4:35 pm
  #14  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 439
Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice
Default Re: Granada - moving there

Is it easy enough to get 6 month rentals in the area or do the landlords prefer longer?
I think the main issue is going to be signing contracts in SPanish
Found this on one site: Granada is a good place to live, if you can find somewhere. The estate agents won´t rent you anything for less than a year so you have to try your luck with the various fly posted advertisements which is pretty tricky if you don´t time it right or speak much Spanish.
Scribble is offline  
Old Jul 5th 2010, 5:03 pm
  #15  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,156
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Granada - moving there

Originally Posted by qwertyjjj
Is it easy enough to get 6 month rentals in the area or do the landlords prefer longer?
I think the main issue is going to be signing contracts in SPanish
Found this on one site: Granada is a good place to live, if you can find somewhere. The estate agents won´t rent you anything for less than a year so you have to try your luck with the various fly posted advertisements which is pretty tricky if you don´t time it right or speak much Spanish.
There are loads of rentals about and prices have dropped a lot and will go lower.
You have the upper hand and they will bite it off to get a contract, just tell them you have seen better for less and knock them down to what you want to pay for it.
jdr is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.