Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Old Jan 4th 2011, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Originally Posted by scampicat
Isn't it just?

(I'm glad to say they were not British or Spanish!).

They are a pleasant enough young couple but are having another baby soon.
If their youngest is but 5 weeks old how can they be having another soon?
Old Jan 4th 2011, 5:09 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Leave it to ventilate to the outside for a couple of hours before entering after the smokers have all gone home. Or don't open it until six pm, close it at midnight and clean it at 9am.
So no staff entering in working hours? I could see that causing problems.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 5:12 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

One of the things I hate nearly as much as smokey bars is restaurants where someone's (usually a Brit's) dog is wandering around.

How unhygenic can you get, AND the owners always take offence if you dare express disapproval of little Fido's antics.

I wonder what they would say if I came in and started feeding a snake from the table......
I'd say feeding a snake on the table would be more unhygenic than having a dog walk by.

If you don't touch the dog, what's the problem?

My two would slobber all over your leg, and then while you were distracted steal your lunch.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 8:38 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I've just driven passed our local bar and they've removed the windows along the front and put bar stools outside along that wall, creating a second sort of bar area. So the smokers are sitting outside of the bar, watching the tv inside, chatting to the non smokers who are sitting on the inside and blowing their smoke in through the opened windows. Not sure how long it will last like that, it must be jolly cold!!!

....... Oh and apparently there is a special police squad in our area who are dedicated to "stop smoking in public places". Apparently they went out at 1am on 2nd January to alot the "British bars" in the area and "nicked" everyone who was smoking!!!! Theres a bit of an outcry amongst the brit community here lol

Jo xxx
Old Jan 4th 2011, 9:10 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo

....... Oh and apparently there is a special police squad in our area who are dedicated to "stop smoking in public places". Apparently they went out at 1am on 2nd January to alot the "British bars" in the area and "nicked" everyone who was smoking!!!! Theres a bit of an outcry amongst the brit community here lol

Jo xxx
Par for the course I suppose.

I've seen numerous Brit bars get warnings or closed down by the police for breaching noise regulations, whilst neighbouring Spanish discos were allowed to continue blasting merrily away right through the night every night.

I also saw very similar thing regarding use of pavement space, when they drove down the street chucking all the tables and chairs outside Brit bars into a truck, before driving off into the sunset.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:20 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

This worries me - I am the only Brit bar owner for miles around.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 2:22 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
If their youngest is but 5 weeks old how can they be having another soon?
Oh yes! My friend told me they were having another. Someone has misundersoood somewhere!
Old Jan 5th 2011, 2:25 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
I'd say feeding a snake on the table would be more unhygenic than having a dog walk by.

My two would slobber all over your leg, and then while you were distracted steal your lunch.

They'd better not. I wouldn't find it the slightest bit 'cute' or amusing.

THe problem is, imho, animals (and that DOES include dogs, regardless of what dog owners think), should not be in restaurants. Smell? Fleas? Nuisance?

And if someone is sitting there giving a dog titbits from their pate, why should I not feed snake? I don't mean ON the table, just FROM the table.

I DO like animals, I just think they should be treated like animals.

Last edited by scampicat; Jan 5th 2011 at 2:30 am.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 7:30 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
This worries me - I am the only Brit bar owner for miles around.
Yes but from what I can gather is that your bar is just a brit bar on its own in a spanish town??. I'm talking about the frontline costa tourist strip british bars, pubs and nightclub type places.

jo xxx
Old Jan 5th 2011, 8:05 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

I am not the only one who is concerned about the way the consumers website can collect denuncias.
I love the quote he has used. Read this.
This is not about saying this law is Nazi like it is about the way the website is collecting denuncias.
Now we are also seeing bar owners being attacked for trying to be policeman. http://www.rtve.es/noticias/componen...9_980327.shtml

Maybe we in Spain will get to a situation like this.

They also want eating and drinking banned in the pub’s outdoor smoking area from 9pm, and for no more than four people to be allowed to use that area at any one time after 9pm.
This article is about noise being emitted by a pub in the U.K. whilst live or recorded music could be a problem I can hardly believe they want to limit the customers in the outside smoking area because of the noise they create.

Last edited by Casa Santo Estevo; Jan 5th 2011 at 8:16 am. Reason: link "went wrong"
Old Jan 5th 2011, 8:14 am
JnK
BE Enthusiast

JnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bil

Old Jan 5th 2011, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

I object to smoking so think the ban is long overdue but I do take my dog into bars. However, if somebody complained about this then I'd remove her out of courtesy. My only gripe is that smokers have not shown us non smokers this same courtesy over the years.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:03 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we've been open for a couple of nights now since the ban and I know it's a bit unrepresentative because it's still holiday but we were quite busy, the smokers smoked outside without complaint, and a couple of people noted that the air was better although I, an ex-smoker, didn't notice this.

One smoker said "This is good isn't it? Normally I would have had five by now and I've only had one!"

I am a bit more confident now...
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:08 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we've been open for a couple of nights now since the ban and I know it's a bit unrepresentative because it's still holiday but we were quite busy, the smokers smoked outside without complaint, and a couple of people noted that the air was better although I, an ex-smoker, didn't notice this.

One smoker said "This is good isn't it? Normally I would have had five by now and I've only had one!"

Its almost exactly the sentiments felt by smokers, non smokers and publicans here in the UK.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 11:27 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.