Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

celestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nice
Default Re: Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Originally Posted by The Oddities
My OH and I will now start going to bars for a coffee whereas before the smoking ban we would not as I really cannot abide the smokey bars or the smell of cigs since nursing my mother who died of lung cancer.

Rosemary
My OH, young daughter and I will now start to enjoy the cafe culture of this country much more as we too have avoided venturing into the smoke filled café's and bars since we moved here. My OH and I could just about tolerate the smoke inhalation however our daughter point blank refused to enter any environment that in her words 'makes you stink and makes your eyes run'. Out of the mouths of babes...

We have been surprised to note that in our village (with no local police force) the bars and restaurants are abiding by the changes to the law.

For us the changes are all positive and greatly welcomed.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:15 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose it will all be a distant memory soon, but the best Chinese restaurant around here, and there’s plenty of choice, was always split in two, half for non-smokers. Very occasionally we would use the smoking end if our dining companions insisted.

I was always amazed by the look of sheer joy and serenity when a smoker lit his cigarette after a meal. I would go further and suggest that the people in the smoking section are a far happier lot than their non-smoking compatriots a few tables away.

And I avoid new non-smokers who have recently stopped. They must be the most miserable people in the world. Add a recently stopped drinker too, and you see desperate people with nothing left to live for. All they do is moan, moan and moan.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:25 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I suppose it will all be a distant memory soon, but the best Chinese restaurant around here, and there’s plenty of choice, was always split in two, half for non-smokers. Very occasionally we would use the smoking end if our dining companions insisted.

I was always amazed by the look of sheer joy and serenity when a smoker lit his cigarette after a meal. I would go further and suggest that the people in the smoking section are a far happier lot than their non-smoking compatriots a few tables away.

And I avoid new non-smokers who have recently stopped. They must be the most miserable people in the world. Add a recently stopped drinker too, and you see desperate people with nothing left to live for. All they do is moan, moan and moan.
Thats what chemical addiction does to a person.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:31 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
I read somewhere that 6 out 10 lifetime smokers don't draw more than their first years pension!
I have heard something like that as well. I believe that it is one of the few positive benefits of smoking that if you have a private pension you can draw a larger annual amount as they will have to pay it out over a shorter timescale.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:33 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I imagine a heroin addict would have much the same look as he shoots up or whatever they do
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
if you have a private pension you can draw a larger annual amount as they will have to pay it out over a shorter timescale.
That is indeed the case & when the day comes for me to draw my pension I will disclose to them that I have smoked 20 a day alllllllllllllllllllllll my life, even though I've never smoked
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:40 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
I imagine a heroin addict would have much the same look as he shoots up or whatever they do

Yes heroin is illegal, but its also destructive and mind altering - oh, maybe I mean alcohol!!!

Jo xxx
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:45 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I’m sure that’s right, Matt. Whether it’s cigarettes, alcohol, magic mushrooms, chocolate or whatever else, it makes people happy.

I think those happiness substances have been used all over the world since time began. I watched a documentary about a tribe of Indians in the rain forest, so far detached from ‘civilisation’. And they had found the magic qualities of some jungle roots to provide their happiness and were dancing around serenely happy.

If our scientists and lawmakers take away our happiness completely, they will need to invent something else or it will be ‘off with their heads’ all over again. The masses need their cake to keep them calm.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:50 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
There is talk of getting around the ban by setting up "smoking clubs", but the laws are very strict regarding these clubs. They must be non profit making, they cannot sell beer, or anything really (I could see that happening!), no children, and must be separate room with it's own entrance and no access at all to the main bar area. Sounds like a fun place to be, a good night out, like the old opium dens.
It sounds great

So what do they do, sit on a chair without a drink, having a fag?

It sounds like what the kids used to do in toilet in school. The only thing is we needed a lookout back then.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:53 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by licinius
That is indeed the case & when the day comes for me to draw my pension I will disclose to them that I have smoked 20 a day alllllllllllllllllllllll my life, even though I've never smoked
Wise move licinius.....

But why not make it 40?
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Wise move licinius.....

But why not make it 40?
I don't think theres a difference tbh, annuity rates just ask if you smoke or not.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 2:48 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
I read somewhere that 6 out 10 lifetime smokers don't draw more than their first years pension!

And there is a pension crisis, so why not let them smoke? it would be a saving
Old Jan 6th 2011, 2:49 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

I have a nice glue pot if you want to sniff it?
Old Jan 6th 2011, 5:11 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to think how expensive some places are going to be now, not been out since NYE and even then it was only for a soft drink, I can see the £5 pint on the horizon..... still, Tescos are selling 2 litre bottles of spirits for £25 so its not all bad news eh?
F**k me. I was in Dia the other day and a litre of quite nice brandy was 7 euros.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 5:15 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I suppose it will all be a distant memory soon, but the best Chinese restaurant around here, and there’s plenty of choice, was always split in two, half for non-smokers. .
I always say there should be a section inbetween those two areas marked for passive smoking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.