Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Old Jan 14th 2011, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Just reading that lots of bars are considering charging for drinks as you get them, like UK, as people are having a few drinks, then saying "Just popping outside for a fag!" never to be seen again. The famous "sinpa"
Old Jan 14th 2011, 11:53 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Yes, they do. Possibly not when it is raining but when the sun is shining everyone sits outside here,especially down at the beach.
I think we have to differentiate between the coastal areas, and the rest of Spain (especially the towns and cities) which is where most of the population live. It's true that in the summer a certain number will sit at a terraza outside, but a large number still stand inside at the bar, nibble on their tapas and chat to their acquaintances. Plus, the terrazas are normally served by waiters, and there the bill is extra to reflect the extra work (and also pay for the high fees the bar has to pay for this privilege to the council)
Old Jan 14th 2011, 2:25 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I think we have to differentiate between the coastal areas, and the rest of Spain (especially the towns and cities) which is where most of the population live. It's true that in the summer a certain number will sit at a terraza outside, but a large number still stand inside at the bar, nibble on their tapas and chat to their acquaintances. Plus, the terrazas are normally served by waiters, and there the bill is extra to reflect the extra work (and also pay for the high fees the bar has to pay for this privilege to the council)
Good point there, in Galicia, most terraces are not even set up until the summer and then a couple of months only.
And most places do charge a supplement drings and even for a Cornetto.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
No, I said it was from the quoted link (so that people could look at all of it if they chose, like you have ) and my emphasis was to show people the benefits of not smoking. Many people DO go cold turkey.

Sorry if people did find it misleading, I thought it was helpful.
It is helpful and in my opinion going cold turkey once you've decided you really want to quit, is the very best way.
I went cold turkey 20 years ago. Tried a couple of times before my successful attempt. One of the problems I had on my unsuccessful attempts was feeling a little 'spacey'. Then I thought to myself "A few years ago I might have paid to feel this high!" So then I decided to enjoy my new found oxygen high....for free! That felt so much better. :-)
Old Jan 15th 2011, 2:27 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter is giving up smoking by using the 'electronic' cigarettes. The cartridges give off a smoke ... which isn't smelly or annoying to anyone ... and she does get a nicotine hit but there are different strengths. She has found she is using the 'cigarette' less and less and besides not having smelly clothes she feels much healthier, and, as a singer, has found she can sing much better too holding notes for longer she has recommended the cigarette to my sister in law who was on 20 a day and has cut back dramatically and feels so much healthier too, she now feels that after many abortive atempts in the past that this one is actually working for her
Old Jan 15th 2011, 4:52 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
My daughter is giving up smoking by using the 'electronic' cigarettes. The cartridges give off a smoke ... which isn't smelly or annoying to anyone ... and she does get a nicotine hit but there are different strengths. She has found she is using the 'cigarette' less and less and besides not having smelly clothes she feels much healthier, and, as a singer, has found she can sing much better too holding notes for longer she has recommended the cigarette to my sister in law who was on 20 a day and has cut back dramatically and feels so much healthier too, she now feels that after many abortive atempts in the past that this one is actually working for her
They may not be as safe as you think.
From the USA
Plus I have read that the Junta of Andalusia is looking into the effects these things have too. It seems that they are unregulated as to what is inside them.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 5:26 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
They may not be as safe as you think.
From the USA
Plus I have read that the Junta of Andalusia is looking into the effects these things have too. It seems that they are unregulated as to what is inside them.
Read all of it and it still looks like a brilliant alternative to smoking I have known people wearing patches who still smoke... surely that is more dangerous smokers have told me they need to hold that cigarette - therefore the e-cig is a good idea My sister in law, who was always breathless and suffered chest infections is now (since Christmas) breathing better and feeling much better
Old Jan 15th 2011, 5:40 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

As regards giving up smoking, whichever way that works for you is the right way.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 7:53 pm
Popping in for a chat

Originally Posted by scampicat
As regards giving up smoking, whichever way that works for you is the right way.
I've never smoked and can't understand why anyone would even want to try it UGH
Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:02 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
I've never smoked and can't understand why anyone would even want to try it UGH
It's called peer pressure.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 10:13 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add a little more fuel to the fire.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12193602
Old Jan 17th 2011, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Just to add a little more fuel to the fire.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12193602
Another useful alternative to smoking is using Swedish Snus. Where you put moist fine ground tobacco in the mouth under your lip and keep it there. Not sure if you remove it when greeting the other sex in the continental manner but at least they are not smoking.

Jim

P.S. Wonder if you can get them in IKEA in the shop in the foyer

Last edited by Bigger Jim; Jan 17th 2011 at 7:13 am.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 8:44 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone remember Skoal Bandits? That might be a way of nicotine addicts getting their hit without affecting others.

They were introduced to the UK in the mid 80's but banned very quickly.

Looks like the tobacco industry is going this way
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:00 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Taking tobacco like that? You get the most amazing mouth cancers.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 2:16 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Taking tobacco like that? You get the most amazing mouth cancers.
Yes but that's OK - they only affect the user.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.