Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Old Jan 6th 2011, 5:24 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Originally Posted by bil
I always say there should be a section inbetween those two areas marked for passive smoking.
You really are mental, bil. But very very funny.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 5:25 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
F**k me. I was in Dia the other day and a litre of quite nice brandy was 7 euros.

just what I thought!!

a litre of perfectly drinkable stuff (whisky or brandy) is 5.49€ in Mercadona

a bottle of Vermouth is 1.95€

a bottle of a cream liqueur - almost as good as Baileys (can't tell the difference after the first one) is about 4€

peach schnapps is less than 2€

the OH paid 21€ for a bottle of 12 year old Johnny Walker Black Label at christmas
Old Jan 6th 2011, 6:11 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
You really are mental, bil. But very very funny.
Thanks for the compliment, but when I used to fly when it was legal to smoke on flights, I would always ask for a non smoking seat. I learned very quickly that the two rows in front of the smoking zone was damn near as bad as sitting with the smokers
Old Jan 6th 2011, 6:13 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
just what I thought!!

a bottle of a cream liqueur - almost as good as Baileys (can't tell the difference after the first one) is about 4€

the OH paid 21€ for a bottle of 12 year old Johnny Walker Black Label at christmas

In the UK you get absolutely rogered if you want a drink, to an extent I find breath taking. I remember a while back when my son in law used to go on a booze excursion from the UK to France to buy cheap booze. Not only was it actually worthwhile to fill the car up with mineral water there, but the difference betwen booze prices was astounding.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 6:15 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Thanks for the compliment, but when I used to fly when it was legal to smoke on flights, I would always ask for a non smoking seat. I learned very quickly that the two rows in front of the smoking zone was damn near as bad as sitting with the smokers
What do you consider the compliment bil?

-the bit about you being mental or the bit about you being very funny?
Old Jan 6th 2011, 6:37 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
just what I thought!!

In Carrefour yesterday I saw a special offer of two litres of some weird Vodka for six Euros. I recognised the name because my wife bought some for me some time ago; it tasted like diesel and I didn’t speak to her for a few days – I shouted at her from the toilet.

The other offer was for JB whisky with a bottle of coke attached. I didn’t walk past that one.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 7:04 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by JLFS
What do you consider the compliment bil?

-the bit about you being mental or the bit about you being very funny?
Both.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 7:06 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by HBG
In Carrefour yesterday I saw a special offer of two litres of some weird Vodka for six Euros. I recognised the name because my wife bought some for me some time ago; it tasted like diesel and I didn’t speak to her for a few days – I shouted at her from the toilet.

The other offer was for JB whisky with a bottle of coke attached. I didn’t walk past that one.
Well we aren't talking about some wierd vodka brewed from old socks, altho at 3 euros a litre, some might consider that a bargain.

I bet the bottle of J&B didn't dent the wallet half as badly as it would do in the UK.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 7:29 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

wow a UK versus Spain cost comparison...how nice very origional

Everyone knows booze and cigs are cheaper in Spain. Why drink the rubbish when there are so many good spanish wines around the 6 euro to 10 range. I gave up drinking gut rotting cheap crap when I grew up. They give you a hangover. Larios gin isn't good at 11to 13 euro but it certainly beats the 7 euro stuff. You get what you pay for most of the time.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 7:40 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by jackytoo
wow a UK versus Spain cost comparison...how nice very origional

Everyone knows booze and cigs are cheaper in Spain. Why drink the rubbish when there are so many good spanish wines around the 6 euro to 10 range. I gave up drinking gut rotting cheap crap when I grew up. They give you a hangover. Larios gin isn't good at 11to 13 euro but it certainly beats the 7 euro stuff. You get what you pay for most of the time.
Why do you remind me of the comedy cooking programme where the spoof chef says 'Don't listen to people who complain you can't get a reasonably priced bottle of wine. You can get a perfectly drinkable bottle for 30 quid.

Ahaha.

The brandy I was referring to was Osborne, and very nice it is too. Of course I don't drink that much, so I can't document the effects of a skinful compared to the more pricey brands.

There are some very drinkable reds at 1.5 to 2 euros a bottle. There are some perfectly foul ones too, but I tend to stick to the ones I like.

You get what you pay for, but all too often people pay over the odds, and that's nothing to boast about.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 7:59 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I guess in the remote villages they have their own laws

The newspapers here are all reporting a great success in the smoking ban for bars and restaurants, although the law around hospitals isnt being complied with yet. They say that will take a little while
It's taking a very long while here in the UK. During a recent visit to my local hospital I saw plenty of notices stating that there was no smoking in the hospital grounds and yet when entering the hospital itself I had to walk past smokers stood around the entrance with their cigarettes
Old Jan 6th 2011, 8:40 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Let's stick to discussing the anti-smoking laws please - the price of cheap Vodka does not seem too relevant!
Old Jan 7th 2011, 6:34 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I’m a passive smoker and a passive inhaler of exhaust fumes. I’m a passive eater of all sorts of contaminated food, from mad cows or chickens bursting with dioxide. I’m a passive noise sufferer too.

There have been laws in place to stop all the abuses for years and years. But like the stone tablet carried down the mountain and the latest No Smoking laws, they are all unenforceable.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 8:25 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
It's taking a very long while here in the UK. During a recent visit to my local hospital I saw plenty of notices stating that there was no smoking in the hospital grounds and yet when entering the hospital itself I had to walk past smokers stood around the entrance with their cigarettes
I think that it is totally unfair to in-patients who smoke that they dont have an area within the hospital grounds and are forced to stand at the entrance. Smoking isnt illegal and there should be some facility (ok, so it has to be outside) whereby in-patients could go rather than face the indignity of standing at the door in their PJs and slippers!

Jo xxx
Old Jan 7th 2011, 8:34 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Walking in and out of the hospital entrance is like walking through a giant ashtray because the smokers do not use the recepticles provided.

Rosemary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.