Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

"Neater Heaters"

"Neater Heaters"

Old Nov 7th 2014, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Neater Heaters"

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
Hmmmm. Well I've spent all afternoon googling and researching this and as an ignoarant layman i'm shocked. Apparently all this "sophisticated radiators" with ceramics and clay and whatnot are no different than the basic oil filled jobbies!!!! Apparently the only difference that accounts for using less electricity is very sophistcated or sensitive thermostats which turn the things on and off more often!!! And as they're off more often they use less electricity!!! Even I can figure that out.

So for me, i'll just continue with the oilies, and forget the charms of the snake oil salesmen.

Thank you learned forumsters for enlightening my mind, and not lightening my wallet.
The problem I see is the (If) If your heater uses 1kWh of electricity, 1kW of heat will be transferred into the room for one hour. Unfortunately the web is full of information that makes people believe that all heaters are the same and there is also a lot of crap out there. I've been researching for over a year in Germany and tried different systems. Again a decent infrared heater would only heat up to 18 degrees, but the real feel would be 22 degrees using 600 watt as an example. It also releases the heat so again saves money. Because most countries have too many fossil-fuel power plants, heating with electricity is classed as dirty. A heat pump (which we have) also runs on electricity and more people are going with this option now. PV systems are getting better and will be cheaper in a few years, so why buy oil or gas if you can heat for free. It might take a few years for people and governments to understand, but Infrared heaters are a great option (no noise, cleaner air). A few years ago people complained about electric cars, but eventually it will be the norm.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 8:44 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting discussion in which both points of view are basically correct.
I think the confusion arises in comparing apples and pears, ie. efficiency and effectiveness, two entirely different aspects.
As mentioned electrical room heaters are generally 100% efficient, but their degree of effectiveness is something else entirely, depending on several different factors.
Under suitable circumstances infra red for instance can certainly be much more effective than more conventional electric heating of identical power output.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 9:35 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Interesting discussion in which both points of view are basically correct.
I think the confusion arises in comparing apples and pears, ie. efficiency and effectiveness, two entirely different aspects.
As mentioned electrical room heaters are generally 100% efficient, but their degree of effectiveness is something else entirely, depending on several different factors.
Under suitable circumstances infra red for instance can certainly be much more effective than more conventional electric heating of identical power output.
Hi DD

Yes - a pretty good discussion.

Let's have a few more huh?
Old Nov 7th 2014, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Damn and whoops!

Last edited by jonboy; Nov 7th 2014 at 10:04 pm. Reason: Went off too early, an old failing of mine!
Old Nov 7th 2014, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I have noticed is that an electric oil filled radiator of what ever kilowatt power will deliver a vertical channel of heat that goes straight up to the ceiling, providing me with minimal benefit!
However a fan heater placed at floor level will at least deliver some heat to my fragile body. So there is something to be said for the method of delivery even if the output is the same.
Old Nov 8th 2014, 7:16 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonboy
One thing I have noticed is that an electric oil filled radiator of what ever kilowatt power will deliver a vertical channel of heat that goes straight up to the ceiling, providing me with minimal benefit!
However a fan heater placed at floor level will at least deliver some heat to my fragile body. So there is something to be said for the method of delivery even if the output is the same.
Absolutely correct.

Different types of heater have particular characteristics which will make them suitable for different applications.

This is different from claiming they produce more heat from the same amount of power.

If you look at Freddie's graphene radiators (beware 'graphene' it seems to be becoming the new 'quantum' - makes something sound nice and sciency) the site makes the claim...

Spanish manufacturer Newatt have launched a brand new electric radiator which consumes just a fraction of the electricity compared to that of all other heating devices
... which sounds very much like it is producing a lot more heat for much less power usage. I think it's convincing enough to fool many people into thinking that there is a gross benefit to these when I would think that in reality any benefit will be marginal.
Old Nov 8th 2014, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonboy
Very true and not everyone likes the same type of heat.
I still don't agree with the following:
"This is different from claiming they produce more heat from the same amount of power". If an Infrared heater also heats the walls and the heat is slowly released, you are getting more heat for longer. The material of the heater can also change heat redistribution.
Old Nov 8th 2014, 10:07 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
The problem I see is the (If) If your heater uses 1kWh of electricity, 1kW of heat will be transferred into the room for one hour. Unfortunately the web is full of information that makes people believe that all heaters are the same and there is also a lot of crap out there. I've been researching for over a year in Germany and tried different systems. Again a decent infrared heater would only heat up to 18 degrees, but the real feel would be 22 degrees using 600 watt as an example. It also releases the heat so again saves money. Because most countries have too many fossil-fuel power plants, heating with electricity is classed as dirty. A heat pump (which we have) also runs on electricity and more people are going with this option now. PV systems are getting better and will be cheaper in a few years, so why buy oil or gas if you can heat for free. It might take a few years for people and governments to understand, but Infrared heaters are a great option (no noise, cleaner air). A few years ago people complained about electric cars, but eventually it will be the norm.
Problem is that the COST of electricity in Spain is amongst the world's highest. "Dirtier" is harder to define.

But as a purely practical matter, using gas, we're clearly warmer at about 1/3rd the cost of electric heat.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

Gas = moisture. Not good news in our house!
Old Nov 9th 2014, 9:49 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE frigilianafreddy;11465710]Gas = moisture. Not good news in our house![/QUOTE]

AFAIK not only is it dangerous to install a gas boiler indoors (without a proper exhaust), it's also illegal?
Old Nov 9th 2014, 10:22 am
FreeThinker

Originally Posted by amideislas
AFAIK not only is it dangerous to install a gas boiler indoors (without a proper exhaust), it's also illegal?
Don't worry - I'll sort the quotes out.

Yes - a gas boiler should be properly installed with a flue.

frigilianafreddy is probably referring to bottled gas room heaters which do give off water vapour.

We found when we had a modern flat in the UK with big glass sliding doors onto the balcony that the glass steamed up within a few minutes of lighting the heater.

In contrast in Spain where we lived only in very old reformed townhouses, there was no problem at all. The *ahem* 'ventilation' was perfectly adequate to deal with it.

They are way cheaper to run than electric heaters.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the responses, BUT it's intriguing and surprising that no reply actually addressed my original question regarding Neater Heaters! Yes, there has been plenty of discussion re' the science of heat, power, radiated heat etc, but it seems no one has actually any practical experience of having these heaters installed and how they perform which is what I wanted to know!
Not surprised re' the Newatt models as they are very expensive, but again it would be nice to know if anyone has actually bought and installed any of this range.
If you view my OP I only really wanted experiences of installing Neater Heaters and how they perform but none was forthcoming. Wonder if they've sold any?
Thanks anyway.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

Just google "review of neater heaters" and you will find quite a few reviews. Not very good unless you have a small space.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that, much obliged.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Just read reviews! Mmmmmm not good. Perhaps that's why no one responded with their experiences of them. Avoided buying them probably!
Seems a wise decision.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.