Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain from the UK advice please 😁

Moving to Spain from the UK advice please 😁

Old Apr 9th 2021, 12:21 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain from the UK advice please 😁

Originally Posted by Alfonsocolli
Hi Sandman
I'm also struggling to establish whether or not I need a customs doc
And a removal company has told me that there is no need
BTW
What's a TOR please?
Transfer of Residence.
Old Apr 9th 2021, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sandman
BTW
What's a TOR please?
Try here

Customs Requirements For Entry To Spain

Visitors taking up residence in Spain may import household goods and furnishings and personal effects free from duty and VAT if the items have been used for at least sixmonths for a citizen of a non-EU country.
There's a lot more on that page as well.
Old Apr 9th 2021, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Michael Smith, owner of Villamartin based South Coast Removals says:

β€œThe only way of avoiding tax on transferring goods from the UK is in the case of people moving permanently over to Spain.
They would have to produce a recently obtained NIE number; documented proof that they had sold their house; and a supporting letter from the Spanish consulate in the UK".

Those Brexit 'dividends' just keep on coming don't they!
Old Apr 9th 2021, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone
Just joined this site and am after any help or advice whatsoever...
We are planning to buy a 2nd hand pick up and drive it to Spain in the next 2 to 3 months. So any tax implications and or costs advice welcome 😊.
We will rent initially for a year in the area between Alicante and Torrevieja Again any advice, agents details etc much welcome 😊😊.
Once we get a feel of the area we will look at buying a house somewhere in those areas. Once more advice welcome 😊😊😊.
What and where do we need to go to register, NIE, change licence, change number plates, register with GP etc etc and anything else I'm not aware of please.
And moving forward.
A good estate agency to rent from (will need to secure the rental whilst still in the UK)
Agency that can help us eventually buy a home.
A solicitor that can speak English and also provide and legally translate the conveyancing documents into English.
And any tips on moving to Spain and buying in Spain

Thanks in advance πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ˜
IIRC you cant register RHD commercial vehicles in Spain regardless of age.
Old Apr 11th 2021, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Alfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandm4n
I've been told by several removal companies that if I move my USED personal belongings by myself I need only detailed packing list and TOR document.
Can anybody confirm that?
Originally Posted by Barriej
As you have asked several. And they have all reported the same.
I would take that as a definitive answer, after all they are the professionals. Most of us here are only armchair experts

Could you not ask one of them to provide you with a sample copy of the required paperwork (If it were me I would have approached them as a potential customer and asked for sample copies of paperwork and the legal requirements)
Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
Try here

There's a lot more on that page as well.
Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
Michael Smith, owner of Villamartin based South Coast Removals says:

β€œThe only way of avoiding tax on transferring goods from the UK is in the case of people moving permanently over to Spain.
They would have to produce a recently obtained NIE number; documented proof that they had sold their house; and a supporting letter from the Spanish consulate in the UK".

Those Brexit 'dividends' just keep on coming don't they!

Thanks everyone
OK, so RHD pickups cannot be registered in Spain.

However as to customers clearance for personal items found the below and it also gives you info on the taxation for imported cars
Hope it helps

No need for customs clearance for personal items

https://www.agenciatributaria.es/AEA...a_Aduana.shtml

You'll need information in the personal ("vehicles" and "reliefs for change of residence" would be the two most important I guess) and general sections.

Old May 25th 2021, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Sandm4n is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sandman
BTW
What's a TOR please?
Hi Alfonso,

See my new post, I hope it will help you and relieve the stress level involved in moving/driving to Alicante (-;
Old May 29th 2021, 7:38 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

@alfonsocolli - are you following the Situation in France? Travellers arriving from the UK will shortly be obliged to quarantine, for an as yet unspecified period (7-10 days?). There's no way of knowing in advance how long this quarantine rule will last, it will depend on how the Indian variant in the UK is managed.
It hasn't been officially announced yet whether this will be applicable to travellers in transit to another EU country. It's possible that, even if they are "returning home" to their principal place of residence in the EU (with proof), they'll still be considered as tourists who must comply with all current regulations in force in France.
As suggested, keep an eye on the "Transiting through France" thread in the France forum where, hopefully, info on quarantine will soon be updated.
HTH
Old May 29th 2021, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Alfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
@alfonsocolli - are you following the Situation in France? Travellers arriving from the UK will shortly be obliged to quarantine, for an as yet unspecified period (7-10 days?). There's no way of knowing in advance how long this quarantine rule will last, it will depend on how the Indian variant in the UK is managed.
It hasn't been officially announced yet whether this will be applicable to travellers in transit to another EU country. It's possible that, even if they are "returning home" to their principal place of residence in the EU (with proof), they'll still be considered as tourists who must comply with all current regulations in force in France.
As suggested, keep an eye on the "Transiting through France" thread in the France forum where, hopefully, info on quarantine will soon be updated.
HTH

Hi DMU
Will be arriving via Bilbao so hopefully things will be easier
Old May 29th 2021, 3:28 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi DMU
Will be arriving via Bilbao so hopefully things will be easier
Wasn't aware that you weren't passing through France after all!
One less set of regulations to comply with will certainly make things easier!
Old May 29th 2021, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmu
Wasn't aware that you weren't passing through France after all!
One less set of regulations to comply with will certainly make things easier!
Thank you, wish me luck 😜