Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

health service in Spain

health service in Spain

Old May 27th 2021, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

UKBelgian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default health service in Spain

I am a Brit with dual citizenship (UK / Be). I am thinking of moving to Spain. I can't afford private health cover. I know that under EU legislation I am entitled to Spanish public health care. However, I require monthly medication at a cost of around 390 euros per month. I don't want to be a burden to Spanish healthcare system. so is it possible to say to a Spanish doctor, 'Look, I will buy medicine myself so long as you write out prescriptions'?
Basically, I want to live in Spain, so long as I can afford to do so, and without being a financial burden. Is there some kind of satisfactory compromise?
Old May 27th 2021, 1:27 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: health service in Spain

Why do you say " I know that under EU legislation I am entitled to Spanish public health care." - I don't think that is correct.
Old May 27th 2021, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you are a state pensioner (either UK or Belgian), where you are entitled to S1 which certifies your country will pay for Spanish health care, or you are in a legitimate employment or self-employment and you contribute to Spanish social security, you aren't entitled to free Spanish national healthcare, and you need to have private medical insurance with no co-payment and exclusions to be granted residency. You do get temporary healthcare through EHIC or the new GHIC (from UK), but it's only for temporary stay and not for residents. After a year on private insurance, you can subscribe to Spanish healthcare under Covenio Especial at 60 euro/month, but medication costs are excluded and you need to pay the full cost. You will find medication costs considerably less in Spain, often half-price or less than in UK, but this depends on specific medication you are on. Private doctor can write out any prescriptions for which you pay the unsubsidised price.
Old May 27th 2021, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

As a EU national you would need private healthcare for first year then there is an option to basically buy into your areas local system which would be cheaper than private healthcare. After 5 years you can have access to public healthcare. The above is for those who are not retired. Prior to Brexit retired UK nationals got free healthcare. If you have the same kind of system in your EU country then that may apply. Either way if you are not retired you will have to pay something for at least 5 years
Just Joined

I should have added that I will work in Spain and pay into social insurance system. Maybe I am wrong but I just assumed that every EU country offers EU citizens from other countries the same level of healthcare it provides to its own citizens
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

As a EU national you would need private healthcare for first year then there is an option to basically buy into your areas local system which would be cheaper than private healthcare. After 5 years you can have access to public healthcare. The above is for those who are not retired. Prior to Brexit retired UK nationals got free healthcare. If you have the same kind of system in your EU country then that may apply. Either way if you are not retired you will have to pay something for at least 5 years
Old May 27th 2021, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

thanks, it is more complicated than I thought.
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKBelgian
I know that under EU legislation I am entitled to Spanish public health care.

I don't know what legislation you are referring to but move to and live in Spain legally you must have full private health cover for the first year at least after which you can switch to Convenio Especial which will cost you €60/mth (or €157/mth if over 65) but does not cover the cost of medicines.

is it possible to say to a Spanish doctor, 'Look, I will buy medicine myself so long as you write out prescriptions'?

In theory there is no thing to prevent you consulting a doctor privately and obtaining a prescription however it may not be necessary as many medicines can be bought over the counter at a pharmacy.

Basically, I want to live in Spain, so long as I can afford to do so, and without being a financial burden. Is there some kind of satisfactory compromise?

There is no compromise to living in Spain legally and that means having private health insurance which you will have to evidence when applying for residency.
Just Joined

Thanks for info
Old May 27th 2021, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
Prior to Brexit retired UK nationals got free healthcare.
And subject to being entitled to an S1 still do.
Old May 27th 2021, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you work and have a spanish contract then you are correct: healthcare will be free along with prescriptions
Old May 27th 2021, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
And subject to being entitled to an S1 still do.
The only thing changed by Brexit is that only state pensioners get S1, and not those who receive some other exportable benefits.
Old May 27th 2021, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKBelgian
I should have added that I will work in Spain and pay into social insurance system. Maybe I am wrong but I just assumed that every EU country offers EU citizens from other countries the same level of healthcare it provides to its own citizens
If you are working then why do you think you are a burden? Prescriptions still cost money.
Old May 27th 2021, 4:06 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

If you apply an as EU citizen and have work lined up, you'll be fine.

http://www.interior.gob.es/web/servi...a-y-residencia

Your prescriptions won't be free though. You'll pay either 40% (< €18k income) - 50% - 60% (> €100k income) of the cost or maybe just 10% you have a chronic condition on a list, like the Spanish.
Old May 28th 2021, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
AFAIK the S1 is still available to retired (collecting state pension age) UK nationals, thanks to a last minute deal before 2021. see https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthca...ary-islands#s1

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.