Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain

Moving to Spain

Old Aug 24th 2018, 3:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain

Originally Posted by tebo53
I know the Costa Blanca News is only a local rag amd obviously not international but Front Page headlines, quote "Payment Promise For Expat OAPS" that goes onto explain how the UK has promised British Expats guaranteed future increased pension payments and continued healthcare by the government after the influential advice website was updated" unquote .

It goes on to explain that brit expat pensioners will continue to receive increases in the pensions and continue receiving healthcare cover after Brexit.

Main story in the Costa Blanca News north edition.

Steve
Remember “nothing is agreed until everything is agreed” and that politicians are pathological liars! They believe in Unicorns 🧚‍♀️.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Hornets_Nest will become famous soon enough

Remember also that there has already been a problem with passports for the children of EU migrants in the UK and so clerical/bureaucratic errors cannot be discounted - anywhere: The EU are already quite critical of the UK's approach to EU citizens living in the UK and I for one am pretty disgusted that these people are being used as pawns and charged £65 pp to remain in the UK. My own view is that the UK Govt need to consider the possible implications for UK migrants living in the EU when they address the rights of EU migrants in the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45270554
Old Aug 24th 2018, 9:18 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the cost of registration of foreigners in the UK, they are using the same rules that apply across the Eu. The cost of a registration document must be the same as the cost to a native of the country applying for a similar document.

in Spain the issue of an identity card is €10 and that is what we pay to register as a foreigner. In the UK the cost of a passport is much more expensive (no cheap ID cards) so EU nationals will pay the same for their documentation.

the UK are just applying the EU directive on residency, that so far, they have ignored.

Old Aug 25th 2018, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fred James
Regarding the cost of registration of foreigners in the UK, they are using the same rules that apply across the Eu.
The UK settled status fee is a new scheme being introduced in the UK post Brexit for EU nationals - Fred could you please provide a link to where it is being applied across in the EU (eg if I move to Poland will I be paying £65 or 310 Zloty) .

FYI: The settled status application scheme is set to fully open by March 2019, and the proposed deadline for applying will be 30 June 2021. The Home Office proposed a £65 fee for settled status applications and a £32.50 charge for children under 16.

https://www.peoplemanagement.co.uk/n...-brexit-papers

Last edited by Hornets_Nest; Aug 25th 2018 at 8:21 am.
Old Aug 25th 2018, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the point is that the UK have in agreement come up with what has been called "settled status " as part of phase 1 of negotiating leaving the EU. They have agreed with the EU that cost of applying for settled status would be no more than the cost for similar procedure of its own citizens. So as Fred says in the UK we do not have ID cards but passports. The cost of passport application is £85 it is proposed that cost to apply for settled status in the UK will be £65 so less than passport application. Spain has ID cards which for its citizens to apply for cost euro 10 so they apply same cost for a residency application. All countries in EU will have differing costs some may be high some low.
As far as I am aware it is only the UK that has said it will use the "settled status" Spain as far as I know have not followed suit and will apply current residency rules certainly up to end of implementation period. We all know that some things in UK are more expensive than in Spain hence why many retire to Spain the difference in my view will widen post Brexit but we are where we are.
Old Aug 25th 2018, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bobd22
I think the point is that the UK have in agreement come up with what has been called "settled status " as part of phase 1 of negotiating leaving the EU. They have agreed with the EU that cost of applying for settled status would be no more than the cost for similar procedure of its own citizens. So as Fred says in the UK we do not have ID cards but passports. The cost of passport application is £85 it is proposed that cost to apply for settled status in the UK will be £65 so less than passport application. Spain has ID cards which for its citizens to apply for cost euro 10 so they apply same cost for a residency application. All countries in EU will have differing costs some may be high some low.
As far as I am aware it is only the UK that has said it will use the "settled status" Spain as far as I know have not followed suit and will apply current residency rules certainly up to end of implementation period. We all know that some things in UK are more expensive than in Spain hence why many retire to Spain the difference in my view will widen post Brexit but we are where we are.
The EU have not agreed the new procedure for settled status (inc the fee) in fact there have been several complaints about it most notably from @guyverhofstadt

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8354581.html
Old Aug 25th 2018, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

BTW I totally oppose any additional charges for EU citizens in the UK, Brexit is already making life difficult for some of them and as they have no control over this process or the decision making I think it's a bit rich to expect them to pay. Brexit is unlikely to help anyone at the end of the day unless you are gambling on the foreign exchange market or are idealistically driven.
Old Aug 25th 2018, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

There has been an agreement on the principle of settled status that is fact should a final deal be done. How it is implemented is I agree a different matter. As for fees then yes it would be great if everything was for free but unfortunately extra administration has to be paid for I don't think you will find the UK taxpayer will want to pay that? Although yes it would be nice if they did. All I was commenting on was that the EU has agreed that cost of applying for settled status will be no more than what similar application for a citizen of that country costs, these costs will vary between countries. You seem to wish to argue that point? Brexit is a nusiance and yes financial burden to many I know having had to bring forward and ammended my plans because of it which means I have had to pay for private health care before I had planned, if I want to beat Brexit and execute my plans and aspirations then I have had to bear that cost which far exceeds £65. As I said earlier in my post, we are where we are, we must make our plans and preparations to beat Brexit. I can't add any more .

​​​​​​​https://ec.europa.eu/unitedkingdom/s...ghts/Brexit_en
Old Aug 25th 2018, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

https://www.freemovement.org.uk/brex...tizens-rights/
Old Aug 26th 2018, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Bob - I understand what you are saying (but still say that EU citizens in the UK should not in any way have to pay for Brexit).

You use terms like 'beating Brexit' but things may not be that different for people who wish to move to the EU and countries like Spain afterwards. In fact due to the plummeting £ people moving at the moment may in fact be doing so at the wrong time if they are moving large amounts of capital from sterling into the Euro Zone. I suppose it is all a bit of a gamble and whilst I am not in any way worried about the future I have put together the documents I require to obtain Irish citizenship. British people do male me smile at times when they use the term 'Economic Migrant' in a derogatory way when referring to people moving into Europe when the people they so fondly refer to as Ex Pats are in fact often Economic Migrants themselves looking for a better standard and quality of life at a lower cost.

Good luck with your new life on Spain.
Old Aug 26th 2018, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Brexit is of the UKs making and yes the EU citizens that have under EU rules made it their home should not pay for a decision they had no control over. The point I was making was not about that but as Fred said that UK is using the rules set by the EU for charges to obtain settled status, that charge is I believe the same as is applied when applying to obtain UK residency by EU citizens?
As for me using the term "beat Brexit" I refer to the possible time limits that will apply should a final deal be done. Currency will fluctuate as we all know I bought in Spain just before the crash so have been through the highs and lows of currency exchange and it's affects all be it not so far as a full time resident. Some who are selling up and making the move back to the UK as a result of Brexit will of course be getting more £ for their euros.
Brexit is to me a backward step that is being handled very badly by our government. However as in any club you always have the right to leave for whatever reason. Problem is our political leaders chose to hold a poorly worded referendum giving people a simple in out vote, that marginal majority result for out has then been manipulated by the government. Of course the UK is a very diverse country and people over the last 10 years have been affected very differently by the financial crash and huge amounts of immigration all be it not only from the EU but refugees etc from Middle East Africa etc. The result is many people have seen the areas they were born brought up and work change totally others have not seen much of any change to the are they live or their lives.They simply put the blame wrongly down to being in the EU. So it is no real surprise that the country at the time of the referendum and still to this day was so split on remaining in the EU. Probably made worse by the handling of that result. It is certainly not the result I thought we would get at time of the referendum althougn I always thought it would be pretty close but to remain. Since then certain politicians have manipulated that result to get what they personally want. Most of us that use this forum of course would prefer that we had voted to remain because we have a vested interest in remaining but each person's vote has equal relevance all be it that the 15 year rule should not have been applied for the referendum in relation to right to vote for expats. I don't see myself that expats fall into the financial migrant category as large majority are totally financially self sufficient or work to keep themselves just as large majority of those from within the EU that come to UK do. In the 11 years we have owned our Spanish property when visiting before the lead up to referendum if in conversation with expats I mentioned something political around the table I would more often than not be rebuked with " we live in Spain not UK what they do doesn't interest us etc" . I always thought this odd given most in fact all I know retain British Citizenship with their income (pension,) coming from the UK. However now one gets the sense that the same people expect their views and concerns to be top priority of the UK government and people of the UK! Anyway I accept we are where where we are I would be a happy man if Brexit git filed in file 13 but I don't think that will happen so simply try and plan accordingly.
​​​​​​​Thank you for your good wishes on our eventual move.

Last edited by bobd22; Aug 26th 2018 at 10:12 am.