Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain

Moving to Spain

Old Aug 24th 2018, 12:43 am
Just Joined

AngAndRichie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Spain

Hi everyone,
We are looking to move to Spain January 2019 but are a bit worried about Brexit. Is it scare mongering about not getting state pensions and not being able to access you money in the U.K. or like everything else there will be a way around it.
Angela x

Last edited by AngAndRichie; Aug 24th 2018 at 12:46 am.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain

Originally Posted by AngAndRichie
Hi everyone,
We are looking to move to Spain January 2019 but are a bit worried about Brexit. Is it scare mongering about not getting state pensions and not being able to access you money in the U.K. or like everything else there will be a way around it.
Angela x
Hi Angela,
Nobody knows for certain about the outcome of Brexit and you won't get anyone to give you a true forcast. However..I was reading an article yesterday about the UK pensions being paid to expats in Spain will be secure in the future including any annual increases. It didn't mention anything about pensions being applied for after Brexit.

Steve
Old Aug 24th 2018, 8:02 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

There are many who moved to Spain before we joined and many non EU people living quite happily in Spain.
Don't believe the BS you read in the tabloids. You can draw your pension and access money from anywhere outside the world, why not from Spain after Brexit?
Old Aug 24th 2018, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Hornets_Nest will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by missile
Don't believe the BS you read in the tabloids.
But believe someone from an Ex Pat forum ???

The UK Govt yesterday issued guidelines for individuals and business in the event (unlikely though it may be) of a no deal Brexit. I suggest people who are interested in how Brexit may impact on them personally follow these Govt communications via a reliable news source (unless they wish to read the actual documents).

This is all down to EU passporting- I think this article is reasonably well balanced and provides some good info. Like others I believe the EU and the UK will sort things out before next March.

https://www.professionalpensions.com...rexit-scenario
Old Aug 24th 2018, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hornets_Nest

The UK Govt yesterday issued guidelines for individuals and business in the event (unlikely though it may be) of a no deal Brexit. I suggest people who are interested in how Brexit may impact on them personally follow these Govt communications via a reliable news source (unless they wish to read the actual documents).

This is all down to EU passporting- I think this article is reasonably well balanced and provides some good info. Like others I believe the EU and the UK will sort things out before next March.

Yes, we will come to some agreement and regardless of Brexit, I suppose Europe & the World has a lot more problems. On other news yesterday https://www.rt.com/news/436579-ceuta...-storm-border/
I know it's nothing new in area, but no signs that it will get better either.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

The way I see it is with or without a deal it is in the hands of the UK how it's expat citizens are dealt with re this matter. All they have to do is to ensure British citizens who are expats are entitled and allowed to retain standard UK Current Accounts with UK banks. Then if worst comes to worst and EU make it difficult to have uk pensions paid direct to your Spanish account, you simply have it paid into your UK account and transfer it as normal .
Only the other day I enquired with my bank Barclays re keeping my current and savings accounts when I become resident in Spain made slightly awkward as wife joint account holder will remain UK resident for at least 18 months ( thanks to our great government stealing 6 years of her pension). The girl at the bank said you shouldn't keep UK accounts as they are for British citizens? Were I will still be that it is only residency not citizenship I am changing! Blank look from the advisor. I was then asked into the office so she could check on the computer. She then asked will you be renting your UK properrty ? Errrrr not while my wife needs to live there ! But yes we will when she joins me in Spain. Well just keep that as your address she said ? Mmmmm so I have my personal banking paperwork sent to a remnant I don't know ? I don't think that's advisable do you? She then said it's a grey area you shouldn't really keep your accounts but most do. I said from what I have read it EU legislation (while part of EU of course) that EU countries states must provide their citizens basic bank accounts? Blank look from the advisor. She then got someone else and upshot was yes I can keep the accounts and while wife still UK resident don't need to do anything once she joins me we change address to Spanish one.
​​​​​​​If anything it is UK banks that make life awkward. As has been said expats get pensions paid outside the EU now so uk not being in EU should be any different.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Not sure that this has ANYTHING to do with what was being discussed.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

As with all things Brexit follow the news (UK and Spanish) and don't rely too much on what unqualified people tell you - do your own homework. If people are concerned about the payment of occupational/private pensions then contact your provider(s), the DWP will provide information on state pension payments.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

As with all things Brexit follow the news (UK and Spanish) and don't rely too much on what unqualified people tell you - do your own homework. If people are concerned about the payment of occupational/private pensions then contact your provider(s), the DWP will provide information on state pension payments.
​​​​​​​Good advice . I also believe from what I have read that this in fact refers to annuity pensions not all pensions?
Old Aug 24th 2018, 9:08 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Moving to Spain

........... and this government always gives out reliable information?
Like I said: those moving to Australia (or even Mongolia :-) ) have no problem drawing their pension or accessing money why would OP have an issue in Spain post Brexit? OP should consider carefully before trusting the "experts".

Last edited by missile; Aug 24th 2018 at 9:20 am.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=bobd22;12553703]Good advice . I also believe from what I have read that this in fact refers to annuity pensions not all pensions?[/

​​​​​​​Just a thought on our situation we both have a GP and an SP but the government have outsourced the payments so the Government Pensions arrive in the Spanish account from the Bank of New York and the State Pension no longer comes from the Paymaster General but is again anonymous with no reference to pension. Will these be caught up in the whole private pensions farago? It just gets murkier and murkier! The anonymity already causes us problems with maintaining our free banking as pensioners!
Old Aug 24th 2018, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure that this has ANYTHING to do with what was being discussed.
These are the real problems and not fake ones. What has Brexit got to do with Spain one could say:-)
Old Aug 24th 2018, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moses2013
These are the real problems and not fake ones. What has Brexit got to do with Spain one could say:-)
So the tanking £ hasn't impacted UK migrants to the EU ?? The link you posted was from RT a 'news' outlet funded by the Russian Govt, the video was taken in North Africa (not even in Europe). Thankfully Spain has shown a very tolerant attitude to genuine refugees and long may that continue.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=EsuriJohn;12553728]
Originally Posted by bobd22
Good advice . I also believe from what I have read that this in fact refers to annuity pensions not all pensions?[/

Just a thought on our situation we both have a GP and an SP but the government have outsourced the payments so the Government Pensions arrive in the Spanish account from the Bank of New York and the State Pension no longer comes from the Paymaster General but is again anonymous with no reference to pension. Will these be caught up in the whole private pensions farago? It just gets murkier and murkier! The anonymity already causes us problems with maintaining our free banking as pensioners!
I don't know the answer to that I'm afraid. I too rely on government pensions and will get state pension next year. I think I will keep getting them paid to my UK account and transferring myself until I can see the wood from the trees. Someone will no doubt know better but I think the annuity problem is because it comes under a form of insurance/assurance set up? As I say I personally don't know.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

I know the Costa Blanca News is only a local rag amd obviously not international but Front Page headlines, quote "Payment Promise For Expat OAPS" that goes onto explain how the UK has promised British Expats guaranteed future increased pension payments and continued healthcare by the government after the influential advice website was updated" unquote .

It goes on to explain that brit expat pensioners will continue to receive increases in the pensions and continue receiving healthcare cover after Brexit.

Main story in the Costa Blanca News north edition.

Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.