Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain- What do I need to do?

Moving to Spain- What do I need to do?

Old Aug 24th 2018, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

lauranaiz is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to Spain- What do I need to do?

Hi,

I'm a 22 yr old graduate moving to the Basque Country next week to work as an English teacher. Could you guys help me with what I need to prepare/ bureaucracy when I get there/ any other helpful tips? I speak Spanish (C1).

Thank you
Old Aug 24th 2018, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain- What do I need to do?

Sounds like you have a job waiting for you and you already have a high enough level of Spanish to be able to everything yourself so you don't really need to panic. Most members here don't have Spanish and therefore find access to important things difficult and confusing. So good for you. Your employer will give you a contract which will enter you into the Spanish SS system. Within 3 months you will need to register for residencia but given you have a contract that will be straightforward. You will get a health card and should register with a doctor. Bank accounts will also be easy to open once you have a NIE. Your employer will no doubt be able to help you. Go to the official Spanish sites for relevant information. Guarantee you will enjoy Spain. Good luck
Old Aug 25th 2018, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

A mine of useful information here

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain#tax
Old Aug 26th 2018, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauranaiz
Hi,

I'm a 22 yr old graduate moving to the Basque Country next week to work as an English teacher. Could you guys help me with what I need to prepare/ bureaucracy when I get there/ any other helpful tips? I speak Spanish (C1).

Thank you
I daresay others are better informed than me regarding paperwork as my wife is Basque, so it became easier when we retired here 9 years ago.
Donosti is a great city, especially for food lovers.
If time allows you, you could enrol for Basque classes, especially at the various AEK centres. Just knowing a little will endear you even more to the "locals".
Will be worth getting a bus/rail card. Public transport is very good & much cheaper than in Britain.

Old Aug 26th 2018, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

thanks! I got my NIE while on Erasmus in 2017 and according to my research its still valid. I just need to get that social security number, but I haven't got my contract yet. I fly out on sat. Nervous is understatement.
Old Aug 26th 2018, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi

I daresay others are better informed than me regarding paperwork as my wife is Basque, so it became easier when we retired here 9 years ago.
Donosti is a great city, especially for food lovers.
If time allows you, you could enrol for Basque classes, especially at the various AEK centres. Just knowing a little will endear you even more to the "locals".
Will be worth getting a bus/rail card. Public transport is very good & much cheaper than in Britain.

I'm actually going to be living in Donosti, and working just outside. I've been before. I learned very little basque when I was over last time, but I'm sure I will pick more up along the way. Thank you for your reply!