Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

moving to spain

moving to spain

Old Mar 30th 2016, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

ray boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to spain

hi everyone, just a couple of lines to see if there is anyone who can help with a couple of enquires. The boss & myself are thinking of moving to Spain maybe at the end of the year after our season finishes here (Cornwall).
I run an ice cream van & although fairly good income when were working the season is very short ( July/August mainly) & as we get older were finding the winters much longer & a lot colder so we thought maybe relocating to Spain with the ice cream van. any thoughts , ideas or just general observations would be very helpful.
Many thanks Ray.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 4:55 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to spain

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 30th 2016, 5:08 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

You may find this thread helpful.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/spain...ream+van+spain

Rosemary
Old Mar 30th 2016, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ray boy
hi everyone, just a couple of lines to see if there is anyone who can help with a couple of enquires. The boss & myself are thinking of moving to Spain maybe at the end of the year after our season finishes here (Cornwall).
I run an ice cream van & although fairly good income when were working the season is very short ( July/August mainly) & as we get older were finding the winters much longer & a lot colder so we thought maybe relocating to Spain with the ice cream van. any thoughts , ideas or just general observations would be very helpful.
Many thanks Ray.
I've Never seen an ice cream van in or around Benidorm but loads of stalls on the prom and main streets. I tell you what I have seen, which I found strange, a mobile hot dog van! I've often seen it in the main town and on some markets.

Maybe there might be hope yet

Steve
Old Mar 30th 2016, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute

Ray, I'm just after looking at a tv programme where another Ray wanted to buy a property as investment in Costa Almeria. I got so fed up with the gullibility of Ray and his wife that I switched off the gut-wrenching tv programme. Please forgive me but you appear to be just as gullible.

Forget it, you can stop off in any restaurant in any resort and eat ice-cream until it comes out your ears. Spain needs an ice-cream van like it needs the return of Franco.

Steve in another post says there might be hope for you but I think you have no chance. Sorry Ray.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 8:07 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ray boy
Many thanks Ray.
The licenses that would be needed ae usually block bought by big concerns, and they then lease the pitches, which already have stalls on, to local people, and my guess would be that most are relatives of the concession owners, there isn't such a thing as an ice cream van going round the local areas. Sorry but I really suspect this is a non starter.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure you could even manage to re register a right hand drive ice cream van in Spain ? So the plan would fall at the first hurdle.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 11:16 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Not sure you could even manage to re register a right hand drive ice cream van in Spain ? So the plan would fall at the first hurdle.
Yes, that's very true
Old Mar 31st 2016, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

lormar is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, Ray, that does seem to be a valid point...besides which, if you could register it here, you'd have to pay quite a lot to do so. Our 17 yr old vectra would've cost almost 1400 euros to get it road legal here and would've been worth less than half that as the resale value would be seriously affected.

However, don't give up the dream to move...just put your heads together, slightly alter your work goal and see where it takes you!!
;-)
Old Mar 31st 2016, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

lesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lormar
Yes, Ray, that does seem to be a valid point...besides which, if you could register it here, you'd have to pay quite a lot to do so. Our 17 yr old vectra would've cost almost 1400 euros to get it road legal here and would've been worth less than half that as the resale value would be seriously affected.

However, don't give up the dream to move...just put your heads together, slightly alter your work goal and see where it takes you!!
;-)
The cost of Re-Registering your car in Spain is linked to the engine size.
I taxed, ITVd, imported and got Spanish plates for my English Corsa for 800€.
Well worth the effort and cost when you look at the price of second hand cars on Mallorca.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 9:05 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by lesleyandme
The cost of Re-Registering your car in Spain is linked to the engine size.
I taxed, ITVd, imported and got Spanish plates for my English Corsa for 800€.
Well worth the effort and cost when you look at the price of second hand cars on Mallorca.
It's not a car, it's an ice cream van, and RHD vans are not registerable in Spain as the door, and in this case the counter would be on the wrong side, so the vehicle would have to be on the wrong side of the road for people to be served.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

lesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
It's not a car, it's an ice cream van, and RHD vans are not registerable in Spain as the door, and in this case the counter would be on the wrong side, so the vehicle would have to be on the wrong side of the road for people to be served.
I was replying to the post I quoted, not about ice cream vans.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Yes that's my point unless the OP has a LHD ice cream van it would be a non starter. However they may have other alternatives allowing them to make the move?
Old Apr 1st 2016, 9:29 am
Concierge

Read this thread from BE a few years ago to get the facts.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/spain...ssible-594546/
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

ray boy is an unknown quantity at this point

In reply to your post leper can I just say I find your comments both offensive & insulting. I joined this forum for constructive comments not for your sarcasm.
You compare me & my wife, to someone that we & I suspect you know nothing about & you make these comments knowing absolutely nothing about us. How dare you.
You say in your reply if I want I can "eat ice cream till it's coming out of your ears" a somewhat short sighted & I might add naïve reply, after all if everyone going into business applied that logic there would never be more than 1 grocer, hardware shop, shoe shop, newsagent, bar, restaurant, clothes shop etc; etc, in any town anywhere.
All of the other replies I have had to my thread have very helpful & constructive. They may not have been what I wanted to hear in most cases but nonetheless very helpful & have given me new avenues to look into, unlike yours full of insult & ridicule nothing of use.
You seem to want to come across as somewhat of a sage on all things Spanish... your not, you seem to think of yourself as somewhat of a comedian... your not. A very fine & wise gentleman once said to me " If you haven't got anything of use to say then say nothing ". This is a bit of advice I think you should take on-board.

Last edited by ray boy; Apr 2nd 2016 at 6:40 pm. Reason: additional comments left out before.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.