Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Re-registering a van in Spain. Possible?

Re-registering a van in Spain. Possible?

Old Feb 28th 2009, 9:21 am
Just Joined

mitchkr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re-registering a van in Spain. Possible?

Hi people

Just wondered if anyone could help me with this question. I need a big vehicle for my business in Spain, and ideally something like a VW Transporter would do as I need 2 rows of seats and lots of luggage space. As prices for such vehicles are ridiculously expensive in Spain I am looking to buy in UK. However, I have been told that maybe it is impossible to re-register commercial vehicles over here (someone said that with a van your rear vision is impaired).

Can anyone clear this up for me please? the vehicle I would buy would have at least windows part way back, so would this veheicle be considered a van / commercial vehicle or not?

Any help gratefully received
Kevin
Old Feb 28th 2009, 9:30 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re-registering a van in Spain. Possible?

No
You cant register RHD commercial vehicles here
Old Feb 28th 2009, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

yep mitzy is right
Old Feb 28th 2009, 8:35 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Just to give a positive response, buy a LHD commercial vehicle and its OK. Only RHD are not acceptable in spain. Windows make no difference as you can load above them. But don't even think about a motorhome.

Davexf
Old Mar 1st 2009, 6:32 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mitchkr
Hi people

Just wondered if anyone could help me with this question. I need a big vehicle for my business in Spain, and ideally something like a VW Transporter would do as I need 2 rows of seats and lots of luggage space. As prices for such vehicles are ridiculously expensive in Spain I am looking to buy in UK. However, I have been told that maybe it is impossible to re-register commercial vehicles over here (someone said that with a van your rear vision is impaired).

Can anyone clear this up for me please? the vehicle I would buy would have at least windows part way back, so would this veheicle be considered a van / commercial vehicle or not?

Kevin
It's all to do with the way doors open, and where they are situated. LHD are OK, RHD not, so a UK bought LHD car would be re registerable
Old Mar 1st 2009, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

dougyzf is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Ive just driven my uk registered transit back to the uk to sell? i tried every way possible to re register it in Spain? but at the end of the day it is not possible.
You could buy a left hand drive van at a resonable price in holland and drive it down then re register it?

Try www.autotrac.nl theres some smart vans on there.

Doug.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 1:32 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dougyzf
You could buy a left hand drive van at a resonable price in holland and drive it down then re register it?

Try www.autotrac.nl theres some smart vans on there.

Doug.
Youll probably have to pay import registration "tax" on it though as you havent owned for 6 months
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 7:47 am
Just Joined

bbeau is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought you only had 30 days to rereg a vehicle to avoid import duty from the time you move to spain?
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 8:06 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bbeau
I thought you only had 30 days to rereg a vehicle to avoid import duty from the time you move to spain?
Yes but there are still certain requirements that you have to meet and owning the vehicle for at least 6 months prior to export/importing it is one of them.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 8:07 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by bbeau
Yes but it also applies if you havent personally owned the vehicle for 6 months
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 8:48 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Yes but it also applies if you havent personally owned the vehicle for 6 months
The reason that this applies is because when you bring your car to Spain at the same time that you become resident, you are allowed to bring all your "goods and chattels" with you free of any taxes.

Cars used to be excluded from this but some time ago they allowed them to be included. That's why you need to have owned it for 6 months otherwise you could be accused of buying it specifically to export it.

It also explains why you have to do it at the same time that you officially leave the UK and become resident here rather than wait and re-register it within 6 months.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:24 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Fred James
The reason that this applies is because when you bring your car to Spain at the same time that you become resident, you are allowed to bring all your "goods and chattels" with you free of any taxes.

Cars used to be excluded from this but some time ago they allowed them to be included. That's why you need to have owned it for 6 months otherwise you could be accused of buying it specifically to export it.

It also explains why you have to do it at the same time that you officially leave the UK and become resident here rather than wait and re-register it within 6 months.
Yes and of course it discourages people from popping out of the country to Holland or Germany to buy a cheaper car and bringing it straight back, although who knows .... it may still be cheaper
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 5:56 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Yes and of course it discourages people from popping out of the country to Holland or Germany to buy a cheaper car and bringing it straight back, although who knows .... it may still be cheaper
It is cheaper there are several dealers this way that sell imported cars, especially from Germany and High marks too like Mercs and large Audis etc- Our next car will more than likely purchased in The Netherlands.
On our recent trip back to the Netherlands you should have seen the amount of Polish registered trucks with severely dented French registered cars on the back. Males us think that Poland is not a place to purchase a second hand car!
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

BILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mitchkr
Hi people

Kevin
Kevin
just the other day I drove a R H D van which was on britsh plates but is now on spanish,so it is possible ,,,i went to belgium and bought a l h d transit tornao with 6 seats and large luggage space ,it was on export plates it cost me 500€ to change the plates, i bought this through LHD AUTOS there on the web and are also on ebay, tell them what your looking for and they will find it, hope this helps regards bill
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:38 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by BILL AND CLAIRE
Kevin
just the other day I drove a R H D van which was on britsh plates but is now on spanish,so it is possible ,,,
Maybe you did Bill, but I bet its been on spanish plates for a long time.

You bring a British RHD commercial vehicle to Spain today and you wont be able to matriculate it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.