Reload this Page >

Moving to Lanzarote as a single mum

Moving to Lanzarote as a single mum

Old Jun 4th 2014, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

french1989 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Lanzarote as a single mum

Hello,

I am looking to move to Playa Blanca, Lanzarote with my 7 year old daughter the end of October.
I am going to be renting for a year to see how things go first, and am rather keen to have my little girl in a spanish state school rather than private british school.
I wondered if any other single mothers had moved out here or if anybody has used any childcare? obviously i will be working and with schools running 9-1 will need to kind suitable child care.

Thanks

Clare
Old Jun 4th 2014, 4:09 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Lanzarote as a single mum

Originally Posted by french1989
Hello,

I am looking to move to Playa Blanca, Lanzarote with my 7 year old daughter the end of October.
I am going to be renting for a year to see how things go first, and am rather keen to have my little girl in a spanish state school rather than private british school.
I wondered if any other single mothers had moved out here or if anybody has used any childcare? obviously i will be working and with schools running 9-1 will need to kind suitable child care.

Thanks

Clare

Before any others join in, have you already got a job, with a contract, lined up, as they are not easy to find.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 4:17 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Thanks

Clare
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. I am the Concierge for the Spanish section and thought that you might find it helpful to know that the moderators for the Spanish forums are Fred James and Bevs, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jun 4th 2014, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs

Before any others join in, have you already got a job, with a contract, lined up, as they are not easy to find.
I haven't no but I will be financially secure enough for 7-8months, I've searched the web and there seems to be a few however will know more once I'm out there
Old Jun 4th 2014, 5:42 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear, don't want to sound too negative but you'll be lucky to find work there in winter.......or spring....or.....you get the jist! It's primarily a tourist resort with not enough tourists and a huge unemployment.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 5:48 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum.

You must register with the police after 90 days otherwise your tourist status will run out. To do this you will have to prove that you have sufficient income and have private health insurance.

Also unless you are registered you will not be able to enrol your daughter in a school.

Whatever may be said about free movement in the EU, it is not as simple as it appears at first (unless of course you are moving to the UK!)
Old Jun 4th 2014, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fred James
Welcome to the forum.

You must register with the police after 90 days otherwise your tourist status will run out. To do this you will have to prove that you have sufficient income and have private health insurance.

Also unless you are registered you will not be able to enrol your daughter in a school.

Whatever may be said about free movement in the EU, it is not as simple as it appears at first (unless of course you are moving to the UK!)
Not sounding as nice as I first thought! Well I'm on holiday there with family for 2 weeks first if I find something then I will stay... Thank you everybody for all the comments and info :-)
Old Jun 4th 2014, 6:09 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

If you're looking for accommodation I find www.idealista.com to be good but you could also look locally. Don't always pay what they are asking for rent, last 3 apartments we've knocked them down quite a bit, got €150/month off this one.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 6:35 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Not sounding as nice as I first thought! Well I'm on holiday there with family for 2 weeks first if I find something then I will stay... Thank you everybody for all the comments and info :-)
Enjoy your holiday Clare & then Go Home !

You need to work, you have a 7 year old, you will need to pay for child care should you find work ...................... wake up girl.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by playamonte
Enjoy your holiday Clare & then Go Home !

You need to work, you have a 7 year old, you will need to pay for child care should you find work ...................... wake up girl.
I come out regularly so I'm fully aware about childcare and the costs! Just because somebody has a 7year old doesn't exempt the from being able
To travel and do the things others would! Infact it's and experience for herself! But again appreciate the comment
Old Jun 4th 2014, 7:17 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a single mum - widow in fact

I came with my husband & two little kids nearly 11 years ago

I now have a pretty good business & I'm looking at expanding

would I do it now, just me & the kids?

no........

sorry
Old Jun 5th 2014, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I come out regularly so I'm fully aware about childcare and the costs! Just because somebody has a 7year old doesn't exempt the from being able
To travel and do the things others would! Infact it's and experience for herself! But again appreciate the comment
Was probably a bit harsh, but corect:-). The problem is that too many people want to live their life, forgetting that it's not always the best for their kids. Sure the child will be happy if you tell her we're going to the beach, but what does it offer her for the future. If you don't have a job lined up, don't even think of going. If you're going end of October, what about school?
Old Jun 5th 2014, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

lutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond repute

Be interesting to know what sort of job you have in mind.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 4:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure you already know this, but don't forget you'll need written permission from your child's father to remove her from UK jurisdiction (or a court order to that effect).

Best of luck.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Was probably a bit harsh, but corect:-). The problem is that too many people want to live their life, forgetting that it's not always the best for their kids. Sure the child will be happy if you tell her we're going to the beach, but what does it offer her for the future. If you don't have a job lined up, don't even think of going. If you're going end of October, what about school?
I have a bar job lined up 10-2 which is why I a enquiring about childcare, however bar work isn't all I would want to do, I am also a hairdresser! Spanish school has the same to offer as a British school, she will be staying in the uk till Christmas then joining a Spanish school in 2015

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.