Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Lanzarote as a single mum

Moving to Lanzarote as a single mum

Old Jun 5th 2014, 9:00 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Lanzarote as a single mum

Originally Posted by french1989
I have a bar job lined up 10-2 which is why I a enquiring about childcare, however bar work isn't all I would want to do, I am also a hairdresser! Spanish school has the same to offer as a British school, she will be staying in the uk till Christmas then joining a Spanish school in 2015
Bar work 4 hours a day will not generate enough money to cover accomodation costs, never mind health cover, school costs, child care. Your money you have put away will disappear at an alarming rate. You bar job will, almost certainly not be on a contract, so will not give access to the Spanish NHS, if you do that by way of your hairdressing, be aware that you would be self employed, and have to pay the Autonomo of some €250 a month just so you and your child would be covered for healthcare. There are many, many unemployed Spanish hairdressers to compete with.
Please note that, as has already been stated, you will have to get written permission from the father of your child to take her to Spain, if he will not give permission, then you will have to get a court order.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 12:22 am
Just Joined

laurenhug4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there im also looking to move there as soon as so if you are looking to share accomodation it would be cheaper and have u researched about jobs im in the middle of sending cvs out
if you can get bk to me would be muchly appreciated
Old Sep 6th 2014, 12:34 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laurenhug4
Hi there im also looking to move there as soon as so if you are looking to share accomodation it would be cheaper and have u researched about jobs im in the middle of sending cvs out
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 6th 2014, 2:25 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

OP hasn't been back on the forum since June 5th, so may never see your post..
Old Sep 7th 2014, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

french1989 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Moving to Lanzarote as a single mum

Hi, when do you move out? I'm going in 37days move in to my 3 bed apartment in 42days it's very central in playa blanca, I have a sales job to work from home also was going to maybe do a little bar work as extra in a friends bar... There is a lot of negative feedback on here and people making you think you can't do it! If you want something hard enough go and get it it's within your reach! Could look to share yes would help! My daughter is 7 she won't be out until January though
Thanks
Clare
Old Sep 8th 2014, 2:45 am
Just Joined

Hi there ive noticed a lot of bad feedback too.im looking at moving as soon as I can fibd accimadation n work any advice in this would be appreciated I cant wait to go back and would like to be in contact with english people like yourself
Old Sep 8th 2014, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

why do you think there's a lot of negative feedback?
Other posters are not trying to crush your dreams-they are just telling you how it is.
You may have to wait a bit, put your child first. There's plenty of time for you, and Spain may be in a better position when you are finally ready.
Ignoring common sense advice is foolhardy.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 2:53 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by french1989
There is a lot of negative feedback on here and people making you think you can't do it!
You may find it negative, but in most cases it is based on the actual experiences of others who have actually tried and failed.

That said, you may well be more successful, but please don't think it is going to be easy because it won't be.

I wish you luck, if you have the right attitude you are more likely to succeed, but don't ignore the very real problems that you may find.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 3:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there ive noticed a lot of bad feedback too.im looking at moving as soon as I can fibd accimadation n work any advice in this would be appreciated I cant wait to go back and would like to be in contact with english people like yourself
But that's what this forum is about and what's the point telling someone how great it will be, if it's not actually true. Too many parents don't put their child first and just want to live their dream. Moving to mainland Spain is hard enough, but moving to an island is even harder. When the honeymoon phase is over, you have no savings, no future for your child, you'll wish you were in rainy Manchester enjoying a good cup of tea
Old Sep 8th 2014, 3:35 am
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Moving to Lanzarote as a single mum

Originally Posted by Moses2013
But that's what this forum is about and what's the point telling someone how great it will be, if it's not actually true. Too many parents don't put their child first and just want to live their dream. Moving to mainland Spain is hard enough, but moving to an island is even harder. When the honeymoon phase is over, you have no savings, no future for your child, you'll wish you were in rainy Manchester enjoying a good cup of tea
No future for my child? Would highly appreciate it if you apologised for that! My child's future is none of your concern! I appreciate the advice from people but not the parenting skills thank you, makes me think parenting isn't something you've succeeded in?! Will look forward to posting again next year with how well things are going.... Yes it will be hard but things don't get handed to you! And rainy old Manchester is no place to raise a child! I do believe it's full of crime & drugs! (Considering I live there)
Old Sep 8th 2014, 3:39 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Moving to Lanzarote as a single mum

Finding a job before you leave isn't going to go well, save and then move out and find a job... Laminate CVS and hand them round also there are a few British companies over there with office work I've found plenty, can stay in touch as much as you want! I already have a place lined up for a 6month tenancy at first it's 700euros a month but includes all bills, has a pool etc! Would be fab to meet up and can arrange things
Old Sep 8th 2014, 4:15 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You seem to be ignoring my earlier post #6

How are you going to get health care for you and your child and get her into school if you don't have sufficient income and private health care?

They will not allow you to register if you cannot meet the criteria.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 4:39 am
Just Joined

Ok I'll do that will be nice to keep in touch n maybe help eachother out you should pass on your details to me so these people cant throw negative things at our convo lol
Old Sep 8th 2014, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
You seem to be ignoring my earlier post #6

How are you going to get health care for you and your child and get her into school if you don't have sufficient income and private health care?

They will not allow you to register if you cannot meet the criteria.
You just can't help some people!
Old Sep 8th 2014, 6:05 am

Ah, but they are going to have a pool! That will solve all their problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.