Reload this Page >

Moving to Gibraltar.........

Moving to Gibraltar.........

Old Jan 4th 2012, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

georgiesgirl79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Moving to Gibraltar.........

Any expats that can help??
Basically our situation is this... Hubby has family out there, his Grandad is Gibitarian, they lived out there for a few years when he was little as his Dad was in the Navy and stationed there. Four years ago his Mum moved out there and now works for the MOD, last July his elder brother and son moved out there to live with his girlfriend, they are now expecting a little one
We have often said we'd emigrate, and Gibraltar is always coming up as he has such fond memories of his time there, he can get work as a security guard with a firm his brother runs and also as a construction worker, his brother has also said that I would find work easily as I used to run a pub (which I don't really want to do again) but also they are desperate for Admins out there, which I was doing for 12yrs, I am a Teaching Assistant also.
Anyway........ my hubby is going out next week to start looking for a house, he has a job lined up with his brother to get some income coming in while looking for more permanent work and to start saving.
We have 4 children, aged 10,8, 4 and 2. Although the 8yo unfortunately won't be coming with us as much as we want her too
I need help looking for schools and a house- what did you do and how easy was it???????
Many thanks
Shelley x
Old Jan 4th 2012, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Moving to Gibraltar.........

Anyone? Any info would be appreciated x
Old Jan 4th 2012, 11:23 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by georgiesgirl79
It's 1.25 in the morning in Spain at the moment ...... you have to be patient
Old Jan 5th 2012, 9:07 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Hi georgiesgirl79

The good thing is that your OH has some work. The important decisions you have to make are where to live and where the children go to school. Most expat workers in Gib live in Spain and commute in and out every day - I believe that housing in Gib is expensive and you would need quite a big place for your family. The school choices are; school in Gib, Spanish school in Spain or International school in Spain. I know little of this as I have no kids, but I expect someone will be along soon who knows more.

Regards.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

don't upset the monkeys
Old Jan 5th 2012, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EllisG
don't upset the monkeys
That will be really easy as there are none ..... they are Barbary Apes
I would suggest not upsetting them though.

I could not live there, too small, too many people, too little space and too much unrest at the border at times.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
That will be really easy as there are none ..... they are Barbary Apes
I would suggest not upsetting them though.

I could not live there, too small, too many people, too little space and too much unrest at the border at times.
Actually the Barbary Macaque is 100% monkey despite being commonly referred to as the Barbary Ape
Old Jan 5th 2012, 10:18 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Any expats that can help??
Basically our situation is this... Hubby has family out there, his Grandad is Gibitarian, they lived out there for a few years when he was little as his Dad was in the Navy and stationed there. Four years ago his Mum moved out there and now works for the MOD, last July his elder brother and son moved out there to live with his girlfriend, they are now expecting a little one
We have often said we'd emigrate, and Gibraltar is always coming up as he has such fond memories of his time there, he can get work as a security guard with a firm his brother runs and also as a construction worker, his brother has also said that I would find work easily as I used to run a pub (which I don't really want to do again) but also they are desperate for Admins out there, which I was doing for 12yrs, I am a Teaching Assistant also.
Anyway........ my hubby is going out next week to start looking for a house, he has a job lined up with his brother to get some income coming in while looking for more permanent work and to start saving.
We have 4 children, aged 10,8, 4 and 2. Although the 8yo unfortunately won't be coming with us as much as we want her too
I need help looking for schools and a house- what did you do and how easy was it???????
Many thanks
Shelley x
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EllisG
Actually the Barbary Macaque is 100% monkey despite being commonly referred to as the Barbary Ape
As you say the correct name is Barbary Macque for the species on Gib but they are actually Old World Monkeys and are apes as they have no tails.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:11 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
As you say the correct name is Barbary Macque for the species on Gib but they are actually Old World Monkeys and are apes as they have no tails.
Sorry to be pedantic but the Natural History Museum says differently.

The Barbary macaque has an extremely short vestigial tail. This tail reduction is a uniquely derived feature of the Barbary macaque and resulted in the popular misnomer of Barbary Ape.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jimenato
Sorry to be pedantic but the Natural History Museum says differently.
Be as pedantic as you like, I am no expert. I only know what I read on the BBC Nature site some time ago. Also when ever on the Gib I was told not to call them monkeys as they are not technically monkeys, Barbary Apes or Rock Apes.

Whatever we call them I still do not like them another reason I would not like to live near them.

Last edited by bxpuser24710519; Jan 5th 2012 at 11:26 am.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 2:00 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

To get this back on track ........

There are quite a few people who live in Spain and cross the border daily to work in Gib. That said there are internet jobs so you can work from home and still "work" in Gib.

I would suggest that your relatives could find out more for you as they can talk to their neighbours etc.

Davexf (just a little way up the coast)
Old Jan 5th 2012, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

A simple search for Gibraltar on this forum will throw up a lot of information.
However the best and most accurate would surely come from your family members.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Talking Re: Moving to Gibraltar.........

LMAO!! Thanks for the replies and the laugh at the 'apes/monkey' debate!!
We were looking last night and it seems a lot cheaper to rent in La Linea than in Gib, which we were expecting and for the same as we pay over here we can get a 3 bed place over the border though nowhere near that in Gib, and we can make do with a 3 bed for now as our 8yo will prob be just over for holidays anyway and I'm sure when she comes over our eldest will go over his cousins to stay lol
Does anyone know if the children can go to school in Gib we live over the boarder?
I spent some hours researching this site last night , found a LOT of threads that really helped. Even found the Friday ads online
Getting hold of family is sometimes a pain as its mainly online and trying to catch them between work and sleep is somewhat of a challenge. Plus I like to hear what others think, not what they think we want to hear IYKWIM??
Thanks for the replies

Shelley x
Old Jan 5th 2012, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know if the children can go to school in Gib we live over the boarder?
Yes they can but you will have to pay, sorry but I don't know the cost.

If you live in Gib then the schooling is free.

It has been said elsewhere on this forum that you need to consider the cost of schooling along with the rental and travel costs.

Gib = expensive rent + free schooling + free buses

Spain = cheaper rents + travel cost depends on where in Spain + free Spanish school or expensive English school.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.