Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving furniture Uk to Costa Blanca suggestions?

Moving furniture Uk to Costa Blanca suggestions?

Old May 12th 2012, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

debbiespain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving furniture Uk to Costa Blanca suggestions?

Hi there,

I went back to the UK in 2007 and used webbs, excellent can't fault them.

I cam back to Spain after staying just one year but unfortunately couldn't afford to bring my stuff back again until now. This time I'm using White and co. (they gave me the best quote) I can't comment on service yet as they are picking the stuff up from my brother's house next wednesday, but I'll let you know my thought when they deliver on the 28th.

http://www.webbs-removals.co.uk/
http://www.whiteandcompany.co.uk/international-moving/

I would get as many quotes as poss & check what they include in their quotes as most companies will have to offload from a large container to a smaller van for the last leg of the delivery (due to possible access problems) so you want to make sure the price they give you is door to door.

I'll let you know how it goes with White when they get here.

Hope this helps
Debbie
Old May 12th 2012, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

chocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nice

Thanks, Debbie.
Old May 14th 2012, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Contrary to what others have said I would bring all that you can with you.Stuff here is either of a naff quality or just sooo expensive.

And you may also find that things you think you dont need now will be needed in the future.

Good luck.
Old May 14th 2012, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

chocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nice

Thanks for the advice paintermujer. I will look at all the options.
Old May 14th 2012, 10:07 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer
....Stuff here is either of a naff quality or just sooo expensive......
That is not true. If OP has furniture then bring it, but she would be ill-advised to buy in the UK for shipping to spain.
Just like in the UK, you have to know where to shop.

As I showed in my post, Ikea like for like may be purchased cheaper in spain. Top quality furniture is available in CB. There is a shop in Torrevieja selling nothing but Stressless Ekornes.
http://wobelik.site90.net/stressless...furniture.html
Old May 14th 2012, 10:44 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

My advice would be to bring any existing furniture that will suit your new place. If you have to buy furniture here shop around there are some excellent shop around and they are not always expensive or of poor quality. Most of our furniture has been bought here in the last 6 years and we have been careful in our choices and are very pleased with the quality and the prices.

Rosemary
Old May 14th 2012, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
That is not true. If OP has furniture then bring it, but she would be ill-advised to buy in the UK for shipping to spain.
Just like in the UK, you have to know where to shop.

As I showed in my post, Ikea like for like may be purchased cheaper in spain. Top quality furniture is available in CB. There is a shop in Torrevieja selling nothing but Stressless Ekornes.
http://wobelik.site90.net/stressless...furniture.html
Oh how I wish we had brought our sofas, dining room table,tumble drier etc etc etc. Even baking dishes of certain sizes I have to buy online.We still buy our toasters, microwaves through some UK online company as the ones we are used to are just not available here.

We have an Ikea type sofa, only a year old and showing signs of internal wear when we dont even use it much...still waiting for a decent dining table and chairs.....

To the OP..its up to you what you do.Im just saying that I wish we had brought EVERYTHING with us.
Old May 14th 2012, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for everyone's input it really is helpful. Wonder if I could add another question to the mix?

Electrical items such as TV, dishwasher etc are they okay to bring over if we decided to? Just wondered about the different electrical current. I know the plugs will be wrong, but I thought adapters would be okay??
Old May 14th 2012, 11:02 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocaholic22
Thanks for everyone's input it really is helpful. Wonder if I could add another question to the mix?

Electrical items such as TV, dishwasher etc are they okay to bring over if we decided to? Just wondered about the different electrical current. I know the plugs will be wrong, but I thought adapters would be okay??
All of your electrical appliances will work fine in spain. Obviously, you will have to change the plug or use adapters.

Unfortunately the supply in some areas is not as reliable as you will be used to in the UK. Spikes on the incoming supply can destroy electrical appliances, particularly for your PC. You may wish to invest in surge protectors and /or UPS. If you are buying / renting a property beware builders supply.
Old May 14th 2012, 11:05 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocaholic22

I would say that it depends on how old they are and whether it is worth your while paying to have them shipped over. Weigh it up carefully because there is nothing more annoying that paying out the money for shipping and then the washing machine conking out on you. All washing machines here are cold fill so the area that your machine will be placed in will only have cold water so this is something else to bear in mind. Do not know about dishwashers but presume that they may also be cold fill only. I am hopeless regarding TV´s some people say that they are OK and others say that they are not so I have no idea. We did not bring anything like that with us due to them either being built into our kitchen in the UK or their age. We did bring audio, video etc and had no problems only replacing them when we wanted to.

For smaller electrical items we bought a few adaptors and gradually changed over to Spanish plugs. One thing to bear in mind is that many items now seem to have transformers so you will need adaptors for these.

Rosemary
Old May 14th 2012, 11:14 am
Started off with nothing

For the first few years you may find it very difficult to adjust.
FYI: There is a store in Ciudad Quesada which sells electrical appliances imported from the UK.
Some of our friends who have been resident in spain for 10+ years, still frequent those outlets selling UK goods e.g. the yorkshire linnen shop and those outlets selling Next and M&S seconds.

Last edited by missile; May 14th 2012 at 11:16 am.
Old May 14th 2012, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by missile
For the first few years you may find it very difficult to adjust.
FYI: There is a store in Ciudad Quesada which sells electrical appliances imported from the UK.
Some of our friends who have been resident in spain for 10+ years, still frequent those outlets selling UK goods e.g. the yorkshire linnen shop and those outlets selling Next and M&S seconds.
Sounds good.

Silly but there are never any four slice toasters to be found and I like my microwaves big with built in oven and grill.Have I ever seen one?
Old May 14th 2012, 11:42 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds good.

Silly but there are never any four slice toasters to be found and I like my microwaves big with built in oven and grill.Have I ever seen one?
I have a 4 slice toaster - it's adjustable for bread width & has a doobry that you can open up on top to warm barras on - got it in Tien 21

microwave - mine does all that but it's tiny - total waste of money that was
Old May 14th 2012, 12:31 pm
Started off with nothing

Sounds good.

Silly but there are never any four slice toasters to be found and I like my microwaves big with built in oven and grill. Have I ever seen one?
Please be advised: Very few electrical appliances are manufactured in the UK. All of the major manufacturer's are available in spain.
Beko and its rival Turkish electronics and white goods brand Vestel accounted for more than half of all TV sets manufactured in Europe
I have been to Valencia many times, but never to shop. If you want a particular manufacturer and model, I feel sure someone else on here will be able to advise where to buy.

Last edited by missile; May 14th 2012 at 12:37 pm.
Old May 14th 2012, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I have a 4 slice toaster - it's adjustable for bread width & has a doobry that you can open up on top to warm barras on - got it in Tien 21microwave - mine does all that but it's tiny - total waste of money that was
My washing machine, fridge/freezer, air conditioning, small chest freezer, iron, hairdryer, juicer, batadora, kitchen clock, and a few other bits all came from our local Tien 21. We swear by them, the people who run ours are a family, the women work in the shop the men deliver and install and are also electricians so we have used them for that too.

Rosmary