Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Read in two places today, New Laws re NIE

Read in two places today, New Laws re NIE

Old Apr 11th 2012, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Read in two places today, New Laws re NIE

I have seen this twice today, one was from a scrappy local mag and the other , I have quoted below from a lawyers blog.
My view, how on earth is it going to work, queues will abound, if true am sure will creat more problems than save. ssee below.

"The police have changed the system regarding NIE Certificates.

Up until now they did not need to be renewed, however they will now expire after 3 months and have to be renewed personally; no longer can someone else apply for your certificate with a power of attorney.

For those of you that are spending more time in Spain than your home country we highly recommend that you apply for a certificate of residence. This does not need to be renewed"
Old Apr 11th 2012, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Read in two places today, New Laws re NIE

My OH got this message from some lawyer's blog that he subscribes to - and it went on to say "we can manage this process for you for only xxx€".

Quite how they propose to do this if someone else is no longer able to collect the NIE certificate on your behalf, I have no idea.

It sounds like total rubbish to me, no way could the system cope if people were required to get a new certificate every 3 months, never mind the reaction if you had to pay for a new one 4 times a year.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 5:45 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

my local Extranjero can hardly cope now, times 4 and it will be packed out all day every day with overflow
Old Apr 11th 2012, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree, ridiculous, anyway this is what I have read just now in the magazine, someone has just said they think it is only for new ones, I dont, to me reading it means all. stupid idea

"They have implemented a number of changes in the way in which the NIE is awarded by the provincial Police Station.

Up until very recently the NIE certificate did not need to be renewed ast it did not expire, however they will now expire after 3 months, and have to be renewed personally. It will be no longer possible to get a Gestor or a Lawyer to do this for you by means of obtaining power of attorney from you.

This follows similar changes implemented some months ago, whereby the process of applying for a first NIE certificate must now also be applied for in person."
Old Apr 11th 2012, 5:57 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

That would mean anyone who owns a property and may not visit much would have to make a journey 4 times a year. Doesn't sound workable.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 7:00 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Find it a little difficult to get my head around.

Think I'll hold my fire and wait for Fred James take on it.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

just found this link which makes an attempt at explaining, I think I will just do nothing more till told otherwise.
http://costaconsultingbureau.com/leg...fter-3-months/
Old Apr 11th 2012, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

In addition having read above there is certainly no where on our NIE certificates that say "caduca en 3 meses"
Old Apr 11th 2012, 7:57 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Reading the link that Bobd22 posted it sound like a typical rubbish article based on a fragment of truth.

If you are in Spain for more than 3 months then you have to apply for the new green certificate/card to prove that you have registered as a foreigner. This gives details of your NIE and the certificate does not need to be renewed unless your personal details such as your address change.

If you do not fall into this category you can still apply for just an NIE to enable you to carry out legal transactions in Spain. That was always the case and there was and still is no requirement to renew that NIE.

However, if you wish to prove that you have an NIE then of course you must produce an NIE certificate. In the past this certificate was valid indefinitely.

From what I have read it appears that you now have to have a current certificate (less than 3 months old) if you need to produce it for fiscal reasons.

This just brings it into line with the Padron certificate. An entry on the Padron is not renewable unless you move but the Padron certificate, should you need to produce it, is normally only valid for 3 months.

Sounds like a typical storm in a teacup story probably put around by out of work lawyers!
Old Apr 11th 2012, 8:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fred that is exactly how I read that link and as the old NIE certificate has no time restriction shown on presume it stands which as you say may differ for new certificates. Certainly seems to me to be scaremongering as you say probably by the solicitors not making their money from house sales.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 8:22 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I think that once you've got your NIE, residencia and all the other nonsense, it's best to keep your head down and not make waves, e.g. asking a lawyer whether anything needs renewing; just pay your taxes when due and keep out of the way.

I might be wrong, but unless I recognise any Spaniard who speaks to me whether in the street or on the phone, I shrug my shoulders and say politely, 'Lo siento, no hablo espanol,' and walk away or put the phone down.

I did it this morning and afterwards wondered whether the call was from the loteria.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 9:21 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
From what I have read it appears that you now have to have a current certificate (less than 3 months old) if you need to produce it for fiscal reasons.

Understood the rest of what you have written, but the above seems to contradict everything else. A large majority have to do tax returns so renewing these bloody things would be at least once a year.
In cases like me who run businesses and have to file paperwork seemingly every month then it would have to be up to date 100% of the year.

The other day when stopped by the Guardia Civil I was asked for my NIE. Having an out of date bit of paper could mean a fine if the GC either was bad tempered or did not know his stuff.

The bit posted by pwwm
“no longer can someone else apply for your certificate with a power of attorney.”
Was brought up in this thread.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you for pointing me out that I had missed the original post, I bow my head in shame
Old Apr 12th 2012, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

sujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of light

We had to apply in person for our NIE application at the end of February. Our gestor collected the actual certificate for us but was astounded to see that it was only valid for 3 months. She said she had never known that to happen before but wasn't important as by then we would have residencia sorted out. We will have to wait to see what happens in May when it is due to be renewed. She is looking into the renewal process. Will update you all when we hear more from her.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 5:23 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I have had to look at the calendar twice - but we are past the 1st April

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.