Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

moving to costa del sol

Wikiposts

moving to costa del sol

Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:07 am
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: moving to costa del sol

I have just looked at the dictionary and it does say 'thick' though.
and 'dumb'. Ahhh ha ha.. It might well look like you have said his Spanish=thick/dumb..

Sorry, I find it amusing. I don't know how he could've thought you were racist though? That's got me puzzled.

Last edited by Lushdaddy; Apr 1st 2010 at 8:15 am.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:55 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by savateur
Cojonudo eh, well that could be taken one of two ways, can't it ?

Whats wrong with being French ? Bit of a racist are we ?

Have you got some sort of a problem with Brit's in Spain ? Noticed you generally try to put people off ?

Shame we didn't take that attitude when you came over here, isn't it ? Or perhaps you should just p**s off home, mate !

Staright on the ignore list !
Originally Posted by Lushdaddy
I have just looked at the dictionary and it does say 'thick' though.
and 'dumb'. Ahhh ha ha.. It might well look like you have said his Spanish=thick/dumb..

Sorry, I find it amusing. I don't know how he could've thought you were racist though? That's got me puzzled.

COJONUDO does not mean thick or dumb, stop trying to stir it up, bacuse it does not help anyone.

Savateur has made a mistake with a Spanish word, and thinks that I have insluted his level of Spanish, which I did not.

As I am on his igonore list, he wont have seen my following posts, but will be able to read yours and think that I have insulted him.

I am not that bothered about that, worse things happen at sea, but there is no need to take the P just for the sake of it.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 9:11 am
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JLFS
COJONUDO does not mean thick or dumb, stop trying to stir it up, bacuse it does not help anyone.

Savateur has made a mistake with a Spanish word, and thinks that I have insluted his level of Spanish, which I did not.

As I am on his igonore list, he wont have seen my following posts, but will be able to read yours and think that I have insulted him.

I am not that bothered about that, worse things happen at sea, but there is no need to take the P just for the sake of it.
Read the dictionary-- See what it says..
And for your information, I wasn't trying to stir it. I actually thought it was funny (sorry for laughing) and was trying to tell you why he/she might have got the wrong impression. I didn't know what the word meant and looked for it, this is where the confusion may occur for Savateur. You didn't know it meant thick or dumb either.
Also I don't like the fact that they were very aggressive towards you. It seemed a bit strange to me that they would go off all of a sudden like that.
I wasn't taking the 'P'..
Savatuer, if you can read this. Take JLS off your ignore list, he wasn't taking the mickey, he thought cojonudo meant 'GREAT' or 'GOOD' not 'THICK OR DUMB'..
See, I help people too.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 9:22 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lushdaddy
Read the dictionary-- See what it says..
And for your information, I wasn't trying to stir it. I actually thought it was funny (sorry for laughing) and was trying to tell you why he/she might have got the wrong impression. I didn't know what the word meant and looked for it, this is where the confusion may occur for Savateur. You didn't know it meant thick or dumb either.
Also I don't like the fact that they were very aggressive towards you. It seemed a bit strange to me that they would go off all of a sudden like that.
I wasn't taking the 'P'..
Savatuer, if you can read this. Take JLS off your ignore list, he wasn't taking the mickey, he thought cojonudo meant 'GREAT' or 'GOOD' not 'THICK OR DUMB'..
See, I help people too.
iF I am wrong about the word cojonudo I will apologise to Savateur and to you, I dont belive that it means dumb though, but now I am so curious as to your source could, is it possible to put the link?
Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:08 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

iF I am wrong about the word cojonudo I will apologise to Savateur and to you, I dont belive that it means dumb though, but now I am so curious as to your source could, is it possible to put the link?
Its a strange one,having looked it up on a few sites.
Has a few meanings, ALL usage is described described as vulgar,apparently because of the cojon part as in cojones.

1,Awesome ,brilliant.
2,Having big balls or bollocks,...meaning very brave
3,Can also be used to replace the F-word,only as an adjective before a noun,as in F-ing.
4,Saw only one brief reference to dumb.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:17 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Its a strange one,having looked it up on a few sites.
Has a few meanings, ALL usage is described described as vulgar,apparently because of the cojon part as in cojones.

1,Awesome ,brilliant.
2,Having big balls or bollocks,...meaning very brave
3,Can also be used to replace the F-word,only as an adjective before a noun,as in F-ing.
4,Saw only one brief reference to dumb.
cojonudo ** adj
1 (Esp) (=estupendo) brilliant * , awesome (EEUU) *
un tío cojonudo a great bloke ** o guy *
¡qué cojonudo! great stuff! *
2 (=grande) huge, colossal
(=muy importante) very important
(=destacado) outstanding
3 (=gracioso) really funny
4 (LAm) (=holgazán) lazy, slow
(=tonto) stupid

Why does every spanish word have to have 4 or more meanings?
Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:21 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by savateur
Cojonudo eh, well that could be taken one of two ways, can't it ?

Whats wrong with being French ? Bit of a racist are we ?

Have you got some sort of a problem with Brit's in Spain ? Noticed you generally try to put people off ?

Shame we didn't take that attitude when you came over here, isn't it ? Or perhaps you should just p**s off home, mate !

Staright on the ignore list !
WTF? That time of the month?

As far as I was aware cojonudo purely meant brilliant / really good, asked OH who concurred.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:26 am
Banned

Originally Posted by manamama
cojonudo ** adj
1 (Esp) (=estupendo) brilliant * , awesome (EEUU) *
un tío cojonudo a great bloke ** o guy *
¡qué cojonudo! great stuff! *
2 (=grande) huge, colossal
(=muy importante) very important
(=destacado) outstanding
3 (=gracioso) really funny
4 (LAm) (=holgazán) lazy, slow
(=tonto) stupid

Why does every spanish word have to have 4 or more meanings?
That maybe be the meaning in South America,but we are talking about Spanish in this country which can be a lot different from LAM, sort of like when Americans use the word" pissed", it has a totaly different meaning to the English usage.
Americans mean annoyed and British mean drunk.

It aslo has nothing to do with ball, big or otherwise in Spain maybe in LAM it does.

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=397148
Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:29 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

That maybe be the meaning in South America,but we are talking about Spanish in this country which can be a lot different from LAM, sort of like when Americans use the word" pissed", it has a totaly different meaning to the English usage.
Americans mean annoyed and British mean drunk.

It aslo has nothing to do with ball, big or otherwise in Spain maybe in LAM it does.

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=397148
True...we can ignore meaning No4 - we're in Spain...
Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:50 am
HOODIE

No because it's in my dictionary. I'm not very good on the computer so I can't do all that fancy link stuff. I could get the webcam working and hold the dictionary up to the camera at the page.
Or have these other people convinced you?
Old Apr 1st 2010, 5:18 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

You are not wrong, as far as I know cojonudo can only be used one way and only has one meaning, which is GREAT, BRILL etc.

As I said if Savateurs comment was based on the word COJONUDO, and that is why he got his knickers in a twist, because he thought I was insulting his level of Spanish he will look a bit of a tit.

if he knows that it can mean more than one thing, (which I am unaware of) then I will have to rethink, my usage of the word, after all I dont want to get my head battered in for insulting people, when I dont mean to.

I shall await with baited breath for his reply, because obviously he knows something I dont.
yes great, yes brill - but vulgar all the same - hence my comment & the

as I'm sure you realised

& I know that you know I don't do vulgarity in either English or Spanish

it could be taken another way to someone who isn't familiar with the word - so I see why you used it

a Spaniard might be confused by the phrase the dog's bo**ocks in the same way - which pretty much means the same

Last edited by lynnxa; Apr 1st 2010 at 5:41 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 5:27 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

You are not wrong, as far as I know cojonudo can only be used one way and only has one meaning, which is GREAT, BRILL etc.

As I said if Savateurs comment was based on the word COJONUDO, and that is why he got his knickers in a twist, because he thought I was insulting his level of Spanish he will look a bit of a tit.

if he knows that it can mean more than one thing, (which I am unaware of) then I will have to rethink, my usage of the word, after all I dont want to get my head battered in for insulting people, when I dont mean to.

I shall await with baited breath for his reply, because obviously he knows something I dont.
funny you should say knickers in a twist

yesterday I was teaching English - the phrase came up & the Spanish guy thought it sounded horribly offensive!

I explained it was usually used in a teasing, amusing way - & not considered offensive at all

his level of English is really good - but he hadn't come across this saying before

it just shows how misunderstandings can happen when thinking literally
Old Apr 1st 2010, 6:32 pm
Banned

This thread has been blown up into gigantic proportions, with ignore lists and all kinds being thrown around and it is so laughable.

All because I was asked to give my opinion on a piece written in Spanish, it was rather a jokey thread, me talking about my black belt in ORIGAMI, that type of thing.

I said the posters Spanish was COJONUDO, and I got a really childish rant back.

Since then there has been a lot of disecting the meaning of the word, if this word does have several meanings (some in LAM that I and other Spanish peeps might not be aware of, then so what.

I meant it in the most common way, which I thought that if someone could write in Spanish, they could, at least, undertand an everyday word in the context that it was meant.

Of course the person who asked the question, automatically, thought it was an insult, and told me to piss off back to the UK ( which is laughable)

HOW WRONG I WAS

Lots of words have multipal meanings. so the right meaning has to be chosen for it all to make sence.

Cola as you know is one of them

If I asked a barman to put some COLA in my drink, and he put some GLUE in it, I would think that he is a moron, because although it does mean, glue, the context has to be taken into consideration.

If I go to the opticion and ask for glasses, I dont want the ones to drink.
my Champagne from.

When a guy asks his mate if he has any "Pasta", is he asking if he has a handful of macaroni in his pocket or money?

The answer to that should be pretty obvious.

I am of the opinion that a Spanish language thread on here would be a big mistake, as crap genereated by one would far outweigh the advantages.

BTW my translation of the word cojonudo would be the word WICKED (its new meaning, not the old one)

Last edited by JLFS; Apr 1st 2010 at 6:37 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 6:51 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

This thread has been blown up into gigantic proportions, with ignore lists and all kinds being thrown around and it is so laughable.

All because I was asked to give my opinion on a piece written in Spanish, it was rather a jokey thread, me talking about my black belt in ORIGAMI, that type of thing.

I said the posters Spanish was COJONUDO, and I got a really childish rant back.

Since then there has been a lot of disecting the meaning of the word, if this word does have several meanings (some in LAM that I and other Spanish peeps might not be aware of, then so what.

I meant it in the most common way, which I thought that if someone could write in Spanish, they could, at least, undertand an everyday word in the context that it was meant.

Of course the person who asked the question, automatically, thought it was an insult, and told me to piss off back to the UK ( which is laughable)

HOW WRONG I WAS

Lots of words have multipal meanings. so the right meaning has to be chosen for it all to make sence.

Cola as you know is one of them

If I asked a barman to put some COLA in my drink, and he put some GLUE in it, I would think that he is a moron, because although it does mean, glue, the context has to be taken into consideration.

If I go to the opticion and ask for glasses, I dont want the ones to drink.
my Champagne from.

When a guy asks his mate if he has any "Pasta", is he asking if he has a handful of macaroni in his pocket or money?

The answer to that should be pretty obvious.

I am of the opinion that a Spanish language thread on here would be a big mistake, as crap genereated by one would far outweigh the advantages.

BTW my translation of the word cojonudo would be the word WICKED (its new meaning, not the old one)
which is a shame - and just cos everyone gets their knickers in a twist
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:00 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
which is a shame - and just cos everyone gets their knickers in a twist
Quite agree,I tend to think he misunderstood it as meaning "a right load of bullocks",or words to that affect....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.