Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

moving to costa del sol

Wikiposts

moving to costa del sol

Old Mar 30th 2010, 12:01 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: moving to costa del sol

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I remember the Elviria bar thread. I posted that my Uncle lived nearby and said it had never done any trade. Should have been a sticky

I think Spain is only for people who have a comfortable income from the UK (or whatever second country). Even the Brits who have a proper job here are struggling because of low wages.
That's us !!

Hubby has a proper job but the pay is low... and payrises. what's that?

It's enought to get by but for savings...no chance.

This is why I think that people coming to Spain with kids are crazy..we can do because we have savings to cushion us..but long term in Spain, it's a definite no.

Come to Spain if you have 1) fluent spanish and 2) no kids

That's my advice but I reckon no-one will take it..
Old Mar 30th 2010, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Nicola - take heed of the warnings but don't let it put you off if it's what you want to do.

If you can afford to take the risk, personally, professionally and financially, then do it. The things we regret most are often the things we wish we'd tried.

And contrary to what some say, not all working brits here are struggling.

Good luck
Old Mar 30th 2010, 12:36 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Both my wife and I come from families that packed in their old life in their home country, and took thier children to pastures new, so I, more than most on here know what the upheaval is like.

I had to learn a new language, go to a strange school, different timetable, and be for the first time in my life a "foreigner".

It was not difficult for us because the "bad" things were outweiged by the good things.
Stability, free school books, free health care, dentists, regular wages and by Spain standards, very high wages.

Also we went ot a country that had very low unemployment, so jobs were easy to get. The locals did not resent us, because we did not have to"sell ourselves" to make ends meet.

I did not post on the thread about "what the Spanish think of the British" because, I thought what I might say could be a little conflictive.

But I think, a comment would be more relevant on this thread, so here goes.

When there is enough work for everyone, most spanish never give the incomers a second thought, but when times get hard, there is a growing resentment of the incomers undercutting the locals and chasing fewer and fewer jobs.

The same is happening in the UK now, unemployment is high and the consensus is that, for every concil house, or job a foreigner has, there is one less for the locals.
The same happens here in Spain, for every airport run done by an expat, it is one less taxi fare for a legal taxi.

Most imigrants have to leave thier own country for a better life in the UK it is the opposite, it is much easier to got to a richer country than your own, than to go to a poorer one.

Last edited by JLFS; Mar 30th 2010 at 1:06 am.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 12:50 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rachelk
Nicola - take heed of the warnings but don't let it put you off if it's what you want to do.

If you can afford to take the risk, personally, professionally and financially, then do it. The things we regret most are often the things we wish we'd tried.

And contrary to what some say, not all working brits here are struggling.

Good luck
Of course, not all working Brits are struggling. Maybe they work online or have an established business.

The Brits I personally know are struggling..if it's not to do with finances, it's the kids getting the best education or it's getting on with the locals etc.

A newcomer to Spain is not going to be welcomed especially on the Costas by other Brits and especially not the Spanish.

Times are too tough at the moment..
Old Mar 30th 2010, 1:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manamama
That's us !!

Hubby has a proper job but the pay is low... and payrises. what's that?

It's enought to get by but for savings...no chance.

This is why I think that people coming to Spain with kids are crazy..we can do because we have savings to cushion us..but long term in Spain, it's a definite no.

Come to Spain if you have 1) fluent spanish and 2) no kids

That's my advice but I reckon no-one will take it..
I kind of agree but then completely disagree at the same time.

I'd say someone would find it easiest in Spain if they are fluent in Spanish and have good skilled experience in something that is needed in the area you move to.

Most of all you have to love Spain, do not move here just because you love the sun. There is a big difference!

Where we live here we see that it would be much easier and cheaper and give a better quality of life then where we were living in the UK (South West London). Yes we'd get paid more in London, but we'd have to pay tons for rent/mortgage, pay for full time nurseries, then probably a private school and only see the children at weekends.

And the Spain I live in is still a fantastic place to bring children up.

Life is a balancing act no matter where you are. You can only try to stack the odds in your favour by making the right decisions for the right reasons.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by cricketman

I'd say someone would find it easiest in Spain if they are fluent in Spanish and have good skilled experience in something that is needed in the area you move to.

Most of all you have to love Spain, do not move here just because you love the sun. There is a big difference!

Where we live here we see that it would be much easier and cheaper and give a better quality of life then where we were living in the UK (South West London). Yes we'd get paid more in London, but we'd have to pay tons for rent/mortgage, pay for full time nurseries, then probably a private school and only see the children at weekends.

Life is a balancing act no matter where you are. You can only try to stack the odds in your favour by making the right decisions for the right reasons.
How can you agree and disagree at the same time?
Old Mar 30th 2010, 1:56 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

At last, this one makes more sense to me. Not all Expats are struggling, only the ones that come over here with zero language skills or not skilled enough in a trade that is needed.
I don't have children but I think Spain is a lovely safer place to raise them in.
And very true, life is a balancing act. I could earn a more money in the UK but I'd also have to pay a lot more for the equivalentlifestyle, what I have here suits me just fne.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manamama

Friends of ours have had a property in Spain for about 20 years, and from the day their son was born, they took him there with them on holiday. Their plan was once he finished primary school in UK, they would move to Spain and send him to International School. Their move has been very successful, they now have three properties there and neither of them work. Obviously the key to their success was having sufficient money to do it, and the fact they all speak Spanish. Certainly living in Spain can still be very enjoyable, but it's so much easier if you have the dosh, no worries about work, exchange rates etc. We talk about a "financial cushion", the Spanish equivalent is a "financial mattress" (colchón económico), perhaps that's becuase you need so much more in Spain when things go bad!
Old Mar 30th 2010, 2:06 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Of course the highlighted comment is true, but the word "Spain" and "Spanish" could be replaced by any country or language that you were moving to, Italy or Germany for example.

It seem that the folks you describe more likely would not be asking about " doing what they have to" to get by.

They would have a position lined up before boarding the flight, so would not be coming over on spek, so to speak.

Their moving to Spain would be well thought out and and done and dusted in advance, so such questions would not arise.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 2:26 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I think that a high percentage of british who move over do not speak the language. I know a Gof pro' who has lived here 20 years and he can only speak odd words Even all those Estate Agents (many now gone) couldn't speak spanish.

Speaking Spanish does not give you any advantage in the job market on the CDS.........70% of the population speak it and 29% of them are unemployed
Old Mar 30th 2010, 2:35 am

The Spanish are struggling too...not just Brits. They speak Spanish and alot have a good education/career...

..when you do have kids..will you be able to live on one salary? Or do you both work and then the kids suffer because mom and dad both work...sounds like most families in the UK who complain of the rat race and think coming to Spain will balance their life out.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

ShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really nice

Even the Brits who have a proper job here are struggling because of low wages.
Here we go again! I was at a business fair on Saturday and Sunday, at least 90% of the exhibitors said that things were going well for them and most definitely not struggling (even real estate companies, although mainly due to long term rentals). Personally both myself and other half have just had our best month of income since moving here three years ago - income is now above what we earned in London but thankfully with about a quarter of the outgoings

Perhaps it depends what circles you move in, talk to retired people out of the loop that may hear things from other forums, pub talk or Daily Mail type papers and things look grim. Talk to people who are actually running a business or are in the real working world and things generally seem much better than they have done for lots

I certainly wouldn't move here without a proper skill that you are confident and have lots of experience in and although handy to be able to speak Spanish it's not 100% necessary to run a successful business on the CDS
Old Mar 30th 2010, 4:32 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Here we go again!....shouldn't I be saying that. How come you don't reply to other posters who say the same as I do? Isn't there something in the T&C's about inciting/argumentative posts? If not there should be.

I have seen enough chancers and bullshitters come and go to base my opinions on that, I am also fluent (ask me how). The only ones who seem to be doing any good in Marbella right now are the ones who run the boiler rooms (the ones who haven't been closed down that is).
Old Mar 30th 2010, 4:46 am
Just Joined

nicola15 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi there Andy
thanks for the positive look on things , we have been getting a lot of negatives but thats ok we was expecting that or we would not of come on a forum its peoples opintions .
If you dont mind me asking what line of work are you in ?
Many thanks
Old Mar 30th 2010, 4:51 am
Banned

Here we go again!....shouldn't I be saying that. How come you don't reply to other posters who say the same as I do? Isn't there something in the T&C's about inciting/argumentative posts? If not there should be.

I have seen enough chancers and bullshitters come and go to base my opinions on that, I am also fluent (ask me how). The only ones who seem to be doing any good in Marbella right now are the ones who run the boiler rooms (the ones who haven't been closed down that is).
How? You are not the mystery lover of the King of Spain are you?

We all know ther is one or two, but we dont know who?????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.