Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

moving to costa del sol

moving to costa del sol

Old Mar 30th 2010, 8:10 pm
  #61  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,008
JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to costa del sol

Originally Posted by cricketman
Re speaking Spanish, of course being fluent wont get you a job, but it will be a big help. There are very few Spanish people who can speak English to a business standard, so if you speak Spanish and English at that level it is an advantage.

But that shouldnt be your main qualification. You should be skilled in a trade or profession and then have the language skills on top of that.

I have a group of friends who have moved around a lot to work and live in new cultures etc. They say the golden rule is that for a couple make sure one of you has a job in the city/country you're going to BEFORE YOU MOVE then the other one can get a job when they get there.

That's what we did which was handy because it took my OH 2 years to get a steady job

I am very aware that most British people who move to Spain are not very skilled either with their languages or profession, for those people I cannot advise them to come to Spain because what they have is a dream not based on much reality. So it should be a very personal decision for them on whether to come to Spain or not.
I know what you are saying, and most professionals do have the foresight to arrange their move before they leave the UK.

But, the posters who ask advice on this forum do not fall into this category, do they?

The group you are talking about, do not ask where the best place to find a job is, because they already have done their homework, and sorted out the terms and conditions of their new employment in Spain.

What is asked on here, is advice from people who have no definete plan, and want to know where the "opportunities" are for the lesser skilled jobs, but have a dream to live in the sun.

That is part of the reason why there is such conflict on this site, because some posters say, that things are bad, and it will be no joy ride.

Others say," I came over with no job, home and kiddies in tow and all went well, so follow your dream", type advice.

The first group call the second group the "rose tinted brigade" and the second group call the first "neg heads".

If the posters on here were in the group you are taliking about in this post, ie, having a skill, language ability, job lined up, and well prepared for a life in Spain, I am sure that everyone would say "GO FOR IT"

There would be no negative replies, and the forum would not be divided into two camps.

There have been comments that if you have a low wage in the UK, you may as well come to Spain.

Obviously, well it is to me anyway, if you are a low earner in the UK, it is most likely that you will be a low earner in Spain. But, and the big but is, with no extra help on top in the way of benefits and supplements that can be added to a take home wage in the UK.
Cheers
JLFS is offline  
Old Mar 30th 2010, 8:13 pm
  #62  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,008
JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to costa del sol

Originally Posted by littlelambfound
Plain common sense would tell one to make a reconnaissance first, to have enough monies for at least one year etc, but I guess we live in the age where everyone wants instant results, but without putting in the effort.
I think part of the frustration aired during these "coming to Spain-what's it like?" threads, is not just that there is a constant flow of them (as I said above, peeps are too lazy to look at previous threads, of which there are 100's with regard to the same subject matter), but that there is rarely any closure to them, after much advice has been given. I've yet to see a thread that says "Thanks for the invaluable advice we have made a go of it".
To that end, if anyone here actually based a moving decision on advice given here, could they please raise their hand.
And talking of being too lazy to look through old threads....can anyone tell me how to register my RHD car? (Just kidding!).
Good point.

Anyone????
JLFS is offline  
Old Mar 30th 2010, 8:36 pm
  #63  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,749
cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to costa del sol

Originally Posted by JLFS
I know what you are saying, and most professionals do have the foresight to arrange their move before they leave the UK.

But, the posters who ask advice on this forum do not fall into this category, do they?

The group you are talking about, do not ask where the best place to find a job is, because they already have done their homework, and sorted out the terms and conditions of their new employment in Spain.

What is asked on here, is advice from people who have no definete plan, and want to know where the "opportunities" are for the lesser skilled jobs, but have a dream to live in the sun.

That is part of the reason why there is such conflict on this site, because some posters say, that things are bad, and it will be no joy ride.

Others say," I came over with no job, home and kiddies in tow and all went well, so follow your dream", type advice.

The first group call the second group the "rose tinted brigade" and the second group call the first "neg heads".

If the posters on here were in the group you are taliking about in this post, ie, having a skill, language ability, job lined up, and well prepared for a life in Spain, I am sure that everyone would say "GO FOR IT"

There would be no negative replies, and the forum would not be divided into two camps.

There have been comments that if you have a low wage in the UK, you may as well come to Spain.

Obviously, well it is to me anyway, if you are a low earner in the UK, it is most likely that you will be a low earner in Spain. But, and the big but is, with no extra help on top in the way of benefits and supplements that can be added to a take home wage in the UK.
Cheers
Now I know why you are so obsessed with the no benefits argument

I think we basically agree but come from very different angles.

I think your message to people on this forum tends to be - If in Spain you have few or no qualifications and no contacts (very important, dont underestimate enchufe!) then you'd more often or not be better off in the UK. In Spain you have a chance you could be homeless and hungry within no time with no help which is quite a stress to live under.

For what it is worth, I agree

At the same time my message is - If you love Spain, have good qualifications and language skills and some savings to back it up then go for it because you and your family can have a great life as long as you sort out your work situation. But like you say, maybe those people wouldnt seek advice from this forum anyway?
cricketman is offline  
Old Mar 30th 2010, 8:48 pm
  #64  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,008
JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to costa del sol

Originally Posted by cricketman
Now I know why you are so obsessed with the no benefits argument

I think we basically agree but come from very different angles.

I think your message to people on this forum tends to be - If in Spain you have few or no qualifications and no contacts (very important, dont underestimate enchufe!) then you'd more often or not be better off in the UK. In Spain you have a chance you could be homeless and hungry within no time with no help which is quite a stress to live under.

For what it is worth, I agree

At the same time my message is - If you love Spain, have good qualifications and language skills and some savings to back it up then go for it because you and your family can have a great life as long as you sort out your work situation. But like you say, maybe those people wouldnt seek advice from this forum anyway?
Well the proof of the pudding is in the eating, no?

When things were good in Spain There were more Brits coming to Spain for the good life, now that things are bad many of the "goldrushers" are heading, or have gone back to the UK.

One of the main reason for this is "financial", ie they have no steady work, which means no steady income, kids or not.

The sun still, shines, the pool and the beach are still there, the wine is still cheap, the only thing is "no hay dinero".

So putting 2 and 2 together I have come to the conclusion that if this group of people who have fallen on hard times, could claim the level of benefits that they could in the UK, they would not leave.

I dont think they would.

They see themselves between a rock and an hard place and make the only logical choice, which is to go back and calim those benfits, which you say I am obsessed with.


As for your second point, I agree, but as we both know, that is not the group of people that ask for this type of advice.
JLFS is offline  
Old Mar 30th 2010, 10:12 pm
  #65  
Senior Moment
 
Mitzyboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: On the edge
Posts: 20,460
Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to costa del sol

Originally Posted by JLFS
Good point.

Anyone????
Yes. Its one of the reasons I came on board to help as much as I coulod when I got here.

But not ONLY on advice and help from here.

Mind you that was back in 2004/06, and people on here overall were a tad more helpful then!
Mitzyboy is offline  
Old Mar 30th 2010, 10:45 pm
  #66  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 23
nicola15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving to costa del sol

Hi all
thanks for the comments i can not stress enough WE do understand the current situation over there we have not got them roes tinted glasses on! we are not moving to Spain just for the sun we exactly love the place and have always wanted to move there but are current circumstances in the U.K have made us want it more now ,
you say about the benefits in the U.K when is the last time you were on benefits in the U.K? because its not as easy as oh i have low income we need money!
If you own your own home , self employed ,or own your own business o yeah are honest on your claim forms then you might aswell forget it ,
I know this for fact because this is are exact situation now, the only people who are on a good fix with benefits are those who don't work and in council houses and claim all sorts!
We have the chance to sell up and go , i know you might say don't burn all your bridges but where we come from nobody gets the chance to do anything like this we live in one of the most deprived areas of the U.K .
If it does not work out we can always go home and get all those benefits you rightly so mention
cheers guys
nicola15 is offline  
Old Mar 30th 2010, 11:05 pm
  #67  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,749
cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to costa del sol

Originally Posted by nicola15
We have the chance to sell up and go , i know you might say don't burn all your bridges but where we come from nobody gets the chance to do anything like this we live in one of the most deprived areas of the U.K .
Thanks for the honest post nicola15.

If you feel you've got nothing to lose then it makes the decision all the easier. Good luck whatever your decision.
cricketman is offline  
Old Mar 30th 2010, 11:20 pm
  #68  
BE Forum Addict
 
rachelk's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Córdoba
Posts: 1,558
rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to costa del sol

Originally Posted by littlelambfound
To that end, if anyone here actually based a moving decision on advice given here, could they please raise their hand..
No, but i sometimes wonder if I'd ever have made it over here had I discovered this forum beforehand......
rachelk is offline  
Old Mar 31st 2010, 1:02 am
  #69  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 129
savateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nice
Default Re: moving to costa del sol

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what is the average salary in Spain ?

The reason I ask is that I've got £20,000 in cash, and more than that in shares,and a job to go to. My Spanish needs work.

Would that be enough to last me for a year, if the job doesn't work out long term ?
savateur is offline  
Old Mar 31st 2010, 1:07 am
  #70  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,749
cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to costa del sol

Originally Posted by savateur
Sorry if this has been asked before, but what is the average salary in Spain ?

The reason I ask is that I've got £20,000 in cash, and more than that in shares,and a job to go to. My Spanish needs work.

Would that be enough to last me for a year, if the job doesn't work out long term ?
Depends where you are going to and what your lifestlye is like. Average salary in Spain is about 18k euros. But more like 24k euros in Barcelona/Madrid and maybe 12k euros in Andalucia. Generally like-for-like salaries are about one third lower than the UK.

If you were going somewhere cheap and rented somewhere small then £20k savings could last 18 months or so.
cricketman is offline  
Old Mar 31st 2010, 1:08 am
  #71  
¿Dónde estoy?
 
lynnxa's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: my paradise - Jávea
Posts: 13,330
lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to costa del sol

Originally Posted by savateur
Sorry if this has been asked before, but what is the average salary in Spain ?

The reason I ask is that I've got £20,000 in cash, and more than that in shares,and a job to go to. My Spanish needs work.

Would that be enough to last me for a year, if the job doesn't work out long term ?
if you have a job to go to, surely you know how much you'll be paid?


but yes - with a reasonable income +20k you should be OK

actually with a reasonable income you'd be OK without the 20k
lynnxa is offline  
Old Mar 31st 2010, 1:12 am
  #72  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 129
savateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nice
Default Re: moving to costa del sol

It will be in the Benidorm, La Nucia area, as I'm going to work with LCortez, who used to post on here, as a Locksmith.

The job seems fairly stable, as unfortunatly during recessions he does evictions, lock changes, etc, and of course people still lock themselves out in hard times.

Have to say, I'm pretty positive about the move, main worry is wether I'll be good at the job, and getting fluent at Spanish.
savateur is offline  
Old Mar 31st 2010, 1:57 am
  #73  
Yaaarp
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Trying to get the hell outta Spain!
Posts: 1,354
Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to costa del sol

Originally Posted by savateur
It will be in the Benidorm, La Nucia area, as I'm going to work with LCortez, who used to post on here, as a Locksmith.

The job seems fairly stable, as unfortunatly during recessions he does evictions, lock changes, etc, and of course people still lock themselves out in hard times.

Have to say, I'm pretty positive about the move, main worry is wether I'll be good at the job, and getting fluent at Spanish.
Funny you should say that.....I used to live in La Nucia. Plenty of chalets with private pools in the area and I'm sure they'll be a lot cheaper than I used to pay.
Madridboy is offline  
Old Mar 31st 2010, 3:09 am
  #74  
¿Dónde estoy?
 
lynnxa's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: my paradise - Jávea
Posts: 13,330
lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to costa del sol

Originally Posted by savateur
It will be in the Benidorm, La Nucia area, as I'm going to work with LCortez, who used to post on here, as a Locksmith.

The job seems fairly stable, as unfortunatly during recessions he does evictions, lock changes, etc, and of course people still lock themselves out in hard times.

Have to say, I'm pretty positive about the move, main worry is wether I'll be good at the job, and getting fluent at Spanish.
good luck


just make sure you get a proper contract
lynnxa is offline  
Old Mar 31st 2010, 6:55 am
  #75  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,008
JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to costa del sol

Originally Posted by savateur
It will be in the Benidorm, La Nucia area, as I'm going to work with LCortez, who used to post on here, as a Locksmith.

The job seems fairly stable, as unfortunatly during recessions he does evictions, lock changes, etc, and of course people still lock themselves out in hard times.

Have to say, I'm pretty positive about the move, main worry is wether I'll be good at the job, and getting fluent at Spanish.
I think learning Spanish might be a minor consideration in your line of work (evictions). Would it not be better to learn marcial arts first?
JLFS is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.