Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving back to the UK from Spain

Moving back to the UK from Spain

Old Aug 21st 2010, 12:48 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the UK from Spain

In hindsight I wish I had stayed and battled on, because I am no better off financially in England, and there is hardly any work in my area.
It's been very difficult over the last couple of years, seemingly in all countries. I must admit it's riled me a couple of times on here when the usual suspects ("England life of milk of honey, Spain all bad") have painted a misleading rose-tinted view of things in the UK - lots of people have struggled badly.
Having said that, I've noticed there now seems to be opportunities starting to appear in the job market (particularly in my sector - IT) and with luck this should spread through all the economy. So if you really are thinking of heading back to the UK, now may be a better time. Just check the job boards, chat to Brits in your market area, so that you have a good idea whether you are likely to find work in your particular field when you come back. I've noticed in the last few weeks (I've just moved to London) that removal companies and/or plastering outfits are quite busy here, so if you want to start your own business (and have the relevant skills/aptitude) London may be a good place to head for. Higher costs of course, but more opportunity of work.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 10:32 am
Just Joined

elainel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by suziefloozie
We did not just move out to Spain on a whim it was something that was planned for a long time and in fact we paid a reputable (we thought at the time) relocation company to help us find the right area in spain to live based on my husband's business experience, schools for the kids, place for my mum to make friends & settle. We bought all our belongings in fact the whole house was moved over. We were not fortunate enough to be able to buy a property either (in some respects this is a godsend) now.
But when we first came here our business was booming like everyone elses.
So please dont tell me that we are going to sponge off the English system when we go back. I have worked all my life in the UK which is over 40yrs so why should I NOT be entitled to get some help from there?? I have never claimed a thing either during my life cos I have ALWays WORKED.

Have a heart some of you please!!
I am so sorry to read about you having to come home. I have 4 children and am wanting to move to spain from northern Ireland. My husband works in London and flies home each weekend so he would rather have us live in a better healthier climate than Northern Ireland. We are going to rent our home here and rent in Spain. Reading some replies you received I am so worried about moving the children they are yery young two not yet in school.So confused what to do. I wish you well and I hope your move goes smoothly for you x
Old Aug 26th 2010, 10:36 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elainel
I am so sorry to read about you having to come home. I have 4 children and am wanting to move to spain from northern Ireland. My husband works in London and flies home each weekend so he would rather have us live in a better healthier climate than Northern Ireland. We are going to rent our home here and rent in Spain. Reading some replies you received I am so worried about moving the children they are yery young two not yet in school.So confused what to do. I wish you well and I hope your move goes smoothly for you x
well in your situation, provided that you can get reliable tenants for your house in Ireland, & you don't need to work - I'd say GO FOR IT!!
Old Aug 26th 2010, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

In your situation I`d say go for it , your kids will learn Spanish in nursery/school very very quickly ,very young is the best time .
Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:12 am
Just Joined

elainel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rotor
In your situation I`d say go for it , your kids will learn Spanish in nursery/school very very quickly ,very young is the best time .
Thank you I was on the fence my hubby really wants to go. If anyone has info on schools and nice areas around alicante please bombard me I need as much help as I can get !!!!!!
Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:22 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you I was on the fence my hubby really wants to go. If anyone has info on schools and nice areas around alicante please bombard me I need as much help as I can get !!!!!!
it's a huge area - can you narrow it down a bit!!??
Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:44 am
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

We are in a similar situation. I have recently been made redundant and cant see any chance of getting another job here. We have 2 young children who were both born here. our biggest problem is that we have a house and a mortgage. We have decided that we will not be able to sell the house in the cuurrent climate so were thinking of renting it out to cover the mortgage. Also, we are not sure where to go in the uk. I am from the west of Scotland and my wife is from Leeds. I think Leeds would be better in regards to work but we would have more family in Scotland as my inlaws live here in Spain. We just dont know where to start.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Why Alicante?
Old Aug 26th 2010, 12:02 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CBANDY
We are in a similar situation. I have recently been made redundant and cant see any chance of getting another job here. We have 2 young children who were both born here. our biggest problem is that we have a house and a mortgage. We have decided that we will not be able to sell the house in the cuurrent climate so were thinking of renting it out to cover the mortgage. Also, we are not sure where to go in the uk. I am from the west of Scotland and my wife is from Leeds. I think Leeds would be better in regards to work but we would have more family in Scotland as my inlaws live here in Spain. We just dont know where to start.
Sorry to hear your situation.

I don't like to add to your worries, but please be careful.
I know several who have rented their home and been badly burned. One did not get any rent, the agent "forgot" to collect the deposit and she was left with outstanding utility bills. Another had a tennant with a dog which did a lot of damage. Another whose tennat did a runner to Tennerife. Another who could not get their tennant out.

If you do not intend to return to spain, I would sell for whatever you can.

What is your job? Certainly there will be far more opportunities in Leeds. IMHO the quality of life is far better in NE Scotland. It will be cheaper and easier to fly from Leeds Bradford to visit your in laws.

Unfortunately here are no easy answers.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Justlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud of

We are in a similar situation. I have recently been made redundant and cant see any chance of getting another job here..
Have read many of your posts on here.

Sorry to see what has happened.

Seems like renting your home out is the best idea in the circumstances. As to where to move to in Scotland or England thats a difficult one for anyone to answer.

There are jobs here but it depends on how fussy you are.

All the best
Old Aug 26th 2010, 12:10 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

There are many nice areas around Alicante. The area is well serviced with good primary, secondary and universities.

Alicante is a huge diverse region. You need to make up your mind on your priorities and narrow your search.
What age are your kid(s)?
Do you mean spanish or international schools?
Old Aug 26th 2010, 12:19 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Justlookin
Have read many of your posts on here.

Sorry to see what has happened.

Seems like renting your home out is the best idea in the circumstances. As to where to move to in Scotland or England thats a difficult one for anyone to answer.

There are jobs here but it depends on how fussy you are.

All the best
Thank you both for your replies. I do understand the problems with renting out your property. it happenned to a friend of ours as well. As for jobs, I am really not that fussy to start with as I do believe that if you work well you will be noticed and can get on. There is no panic for the minute as I have my full 2 years unemployment benefit here in Spain which will pay the bills if nothing else. 2 years sounds a long time but it does fly in. I am looking for work here but it is a bit frustrating. I was caddymaster on a golf course for 4 years on quite decent money and full contract. All the jobs I see at the minute are offering a lot more hours for a lot less money. In an ideal world we would find a nice older couple to rent our house here as I think it would be the safer option. I have seen so many families come and go in my 12 years in Spain.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 12:51 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both for your replies. I do understand the problems with renting out your property. it happenned to a friend of ours as well. As for jobs, I am really not that fussy to start with as I do believe that if you work well you will be noticed and can get on. There is no panic for the minute as I have my full 2 years unemployment benefit here in Spain which will pay the bills if nothing else. 2 years sounds a long time but it does fly in. I am looking for work here but it is a bit frustrating. I was caddymaster on a golf course for 4 years on quite decent money and full contract. All the jobs I see at the minute are offering a lot more hours for a lot less money. In an ideal world we would find a nice older couple to rent our house here as I think it would be the safer option. I have seen so many families come and go in my 12 years in Spain.
I would try and rent the house to UK pensioners and avoid Spanish renters at all costs, there are too many horror stories going around and the person who comes to view and sign the contract is unlikely to be the one who moves in. I'm sorry to say that the better class of Spanish renter is unlikely to want to live in your area (which is my area too).

Scotland is an up and coming area, employment wise, but not if you're too remote, I don't know much about Leeds. And you will know about the excellent Scottish education system.

Good luck!
Old Aug 26th 2010, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

BarryJohn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi CBANDY - so sorry to read about your situation. We are retired and used to live near Almoradi but, for many reasons, decided to return to the UK. I see you may consider renting your home and, ultimately, only you and your family can decide what will be the best solution to your problem but, firstly please read this shortened version of our renting experience, which should be viewed as a cautionary tale.

Through a local agent, who supposedly checked references and bank accounts, we rented long-term to "a nice elderly English couple." However, after three months they did a "moonlight", leaving our home in a dreadful state which cost us a lot of money to rectify. Although we held their deposit, it wasn't enough to cover the costs.

Through the same agent, we subsequently rented for a year to "a nice young English couple with two well-behaved dogs." After the initial year, they decided not to renew their rental contract with us and, upon our agent calling round to carry out the final inspection, discovered that they had been living in squalor. Furniture was wrecked, items had been stolen and it was patently obvious that nothing had ever been cleaned. Again, we held their deposit but it would have taken more than twice this amount to rectify everything.

The agent had assured us that she would be calling round each quarter to carry out an inspection. However, clearly this was not the case. We decided not to rent again and have since sold the property.

Obviously, this was our personal experience and, on the flip-side of the coin, many people don't have any problems with their rental properties.

Unfortunately, we are not able to help with the question of Scotland or Leeds but would like to wish you good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 2:39 pm
Started off with nothing

. I was caddymaster on a golf course for 4 years on quite decent money and full contract. .
Where better than Scotland to find a job as a caddy? Donald Trump is recruiting right now for his new course

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.