Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving back to the UK from Spain

Moving back to the UK from Spain

Old Jul 19th 2010, 10:29 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the UK from Spain

Originally Posted by suziefloozie
We did not just move out to Spain on a whim it was something that was planned for a long time and in fact we paid a reputable (we thought at the time) relocation company to help us find the right area in spain to live based on my husband's business experience, schools for the kids, place for my mum to make friends & settle. We bought all our belongings in fact the whole house was moved over. We were not fortunate enough to be able to buy a property either (in some respects this is a godsend) now.
But when we first came here our business was booming like everyone elses.
So please dont tell me that we are going to sponge off the English system when we go back. I have worked all my life in the UK which is over 40yrs so why should I NOT be entitled to get some help from there?? I have never claimed a thing either during my life cos I have ALWays WORKED.

Have a heart some of you please!!
you are entitled to some help of course - it might take a little while to sort it out though when you get back

many many of us still here are struggling & will have read this with a 'there but for the grace of .....................' feeling

as previously suggested, have a look & ask some questions on the Moving Back to the UK forum

you'll be among others in the same position there & will I'm sure get some sensible help

suerte!
Old Jul 19th 2010, 10:34 am
Just Joined

suziefloozie is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Moving back to the UK from Spain

Originally Posted by scampicat
To qualify for means-tested benefits such as Local Housing Allowance, Jobseekers' Allowance and Council Tax Benefit, you will need to pass the Habitual Residency Test.

Here is a Guide to the HRT that I wrote for www.moneysavingexpert.com

Habitual Residency Test for Returning Expats

If you have lived abroad and then return to the UK, and need to claim State Benefits then you will need to pass the Habitual Residency Test.

This involves proving that you intend to remain in the UK permanently for the forseeable future. This can be done by having a rental contract or mortgage offer, bank accounts, registering with a Doctor and Dentist, name on Electoral Roll etc. If you have maintained links with the UK whilst you've been abroad, such as registering as a non-resident voter, retaining a UK address or Bank Account etc, this will all count in your favour as it shows an intent to return.

It is possible for returning British Citizens to fail the HRT; I know someone it has happened to and he is not entitled to any Benefits as he has failed to convince the authorities that he is in the UK to stay.

http://www.multikulti.org.uk/habitua...ish/index.html

You will need to register with a NHS Doctor to receive NHS Healthcare.

See the link below for further information.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governme...eUK/DG_4000140

If you do fail the HRT, I think you have to wait six months before applying again. If you have property in Spain, this may be counted as an asset for the purposes of the means test.

Good luck!
Thank you that was very helpful you are very kind.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 10:56 am
Just Joined

suziefloozie is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Moving back to the UK from Spain

Originally Posted by JnK
I wholeheartedly agree with you ... some people have a real hang up about people flooding into the UK and claiming benefits left right and centre... afraid some of the tabloids are to blame by spreading untruths about the situation. I don't think it's half as easy as it's made out for foreigners to just arrive in the UK and collect collect collect to the detriment of all the "true brits". Take no notice of them, I sincerely hope that things work out for you back there or maybe a miracle happens that will enable you to stay in Spain. Take care.
Thank you too for your kind words of wisdom and hope. We really dont want to have to go back so gonna try as hard as we can to stay somehow!
Old Jul 19th 2010, 4:01 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

We did not just move out to Spain on a whim it was something that was planned for a long time and in fact we paid a reputable (we thought at the time) relocation company to help us find the right area in spain to live based on my husband's business experience, schools for the kids, place for my mum to make friends & settle. We bought all our belongings in fact the whole house was moved over. We were not fortunate enough to be able to buy a property either (in some respects this is a godsend) now.
So please dont tell me that we are going to sponge off the English system when we go back. I have worked all my life in the UK which is over 40yrs so why should I NOT be entitled to get some help from there?? I have never claimed a thing either during my life cos I have ALWays WORKED.

Don`t take any notice of Agi-diarrhea, he hates anything Spanish or involved with Spain and moving back to his beloved homeland is worse.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredthered
Hi suzie
To be honest, I am aghast at your current situation.
It would be all too easy to be unsympathatic and use glib phrases like 'chickens finally coming home to roost ' etc. you having been fortunate(?) (well at least on the surface) to escape these rainy old shores, for climes more temperate for four whole years. Until that is, one is a little more charitable, and remember with what 'gusto' and optimism television programmes like ' Living in the Sun' and ' Passport to the Sun ' touted the 'ease' of living and working abroad, and how they talked down existing or future potential problems, in order to screen a credible television show.
You obviously are far from alone, in being encouraged by such heavily biased programmes to ' bet the farm ' on the illusion of 'paradise'.
My best piece of advice to you, with this current vile Conservative/Liberal hung Parliament in power, and cutting back 'benefits' everywhere, is:
' GET BACK YESTERDAY ! OR RUE THE DAY ! '

Cheers
Fredthered
So true, we are here because of Living in the Sun and not listening to our heads when the estate agent gave us all the guff. However our position is a lot better we have a property still in the UK and our new in receipt of our pensions.

Our daughter and family have had to go back and they have been able to claim child support and our son in law has found a decent job too albeit not in the area they wanted. So good luck.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 6:35 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I think most posters here will wish you the best of luck. Unfortunately some of the income-based benefits are not based on total input over many years, but on a narrow band restricted to a previous tax year. I fell foul of this more than once in the UK, as I'd gone working in Madrid (when I couldn't get work in the UK). HOwever the good news is that other benefits like housing benefit (which my partner received) should be available once you prove the habitual residency test. Don't rule out taking a part-time job either - you can then claim tax credit which is better (imo) than having to sign on every 2 weeks (a very depressing experience).

Another poster suggested your hubbie going back and "working his socks off". Well this makes sense if he can get a good job, but even in expensive places like London a lot of jobs are very poorly paid, so do your sums. It won't make much sense to be separated for a period and yet fall even further into debt.

On the plus side you have gained a lot of experience and should be able to "put a gloss" on your time in Spain. Even in the UK the percentage of new businesses that fail in the first year is very high. You kept going for several years and should be able to "spin" your cv or job applications, stating you came back for your children's education sake (or another reason). I'm sure a lot of businesses would love to take you on as managers.

All the best of luck,

PS Not a criticism, but I'm surprised your first ever post was after you took your decision to move back. In fact I'd advise others whose businesses are struggling to ask for advice on forums like this, and especially on a business forum like http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/forums/ No need to give specific details of your business though if you're scared of frightening off existing customers! It costs nothing, and someone somewhere may have the answer to falling sales. Not guaranteed, but nothing is, and as I say it wouldn't cost anything. There are people on this forum who have made a success of things, and stranger things have happened than getting positive advice!
Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:06 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

It's a shame the pub trade has suffered so much, otherwise it may have been an idea to manage a pub - get accommodation at the same time. Others here may have opinions as to whether it's suitable to bring up children in that environment though.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

Fredthered is a jewel in the roughFredthered is a jewel in the roughFredthered is a jewel in the roughFredthered is a jewel in the rough

With something like 36/39 pubs per week closing in the UK each week (if the many statistics are to be believed), I'm surprised it even entered your head as a viable possibility
Now, A pub 'boarding-up' business, on the other hand, (only tools needed....hammer, nails, and some plywood).............................
but some encouraging advice in your OP stevie.
Maybe the only (or at least the wisest) strategy for suzie (when she believes the die is cast) is for HER to move back to the UK (initally alone) to get some kind of full/part time job, with her Mum taking over her role in Spain (temp) ?
I feel that logistically, it may have to be a 'staggered' and gradual return to the UK, to minimise financial family hardship.

Cheers
Fredthered

Last edited by Fredthered; Jul 20th 2010 at 6:29 am.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredthered
With something like 36/39 pubs per week closing in the UK each week (if the many statistics are to be believed), I'm surprised it even entered your head as a viable possibility
Now, A pub 'boarding-up' business, on the other hand, (only tools needed....hammer, nails, and some plywood).............................
but some encouraging advice in your OP stevie.
Maybe the only (or at least the wisest) strategy for suzie (when she believes the die is cast) is for HER to move back to the UK (initally alone) to get some kind of full/part time job, with her Mum taking over her role in Spain (temp) ?
I feel that logistically, it may have to be a 'staggered' and gradual return to the UK, to minimise financial family hardship.

Cheers
Fredthered
Her Mum is 80!
Old Jul 20th 2010, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Fredthered is a jewel in the roughFredthered is a jewel in the roughFredthered is a jewel in the roughFredthered is a jewel in the rough

quote : ' 80yrs old in good health '
and I DID say as a TEMPORARY measure only !
and I am assuming the WORST possible case of no other relations or friends who could possibly act as surrogate 'aunties' to the two girls, in the few hours while their dad manages to open and close the shop or in school holidays and everything.
Needs must..........etc.
Hey ! I'm trying to find solutions here, not more problems !

Cheers
Fredthered

Last edited by Fredthered; Jul 20th 2010 at 8:41 am.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

missbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud of

Bless ya! I really feel for you and the whole family.

At least you have been out for 4 years a lot dont even make a year I know we did not.

When we came back to the uk we stayed with my Husbands family at first, and when we asked about help we were not entitled to any. However that was back in 2007.

We had to rent luckily family helped us with deposits etc. Since then my husband has built up a good business and I am qualified in hairdressing. We own our own home now.

We have decided now with more research and more money and my husband being able to work and commute we will try again.

I wish you and your family lots of luck in whatever the outcome xx
Old Jul 20th 2010, 10:13 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly you are in the same position as many people who moved over there. We moved after I retired, and after 4 years found ourselves in a similar position, not due to work, but due to the position of the Euro/Pound rate, we had lost something like 40% over that time, despite annual increases in pensions. We came back to the UK about a year ago, and as long as you have something to show you are permanent, such as rental contract, mortgage agreement or even just utility bill in your name, then you will be able to qualify for most benefits, getting on the electoral roll is also very useful. You are entitled to free health care from day 1, some benefits do need you to have been in the UK for 6 months before applying. If the benefit is means tested, then property, and money in Spanish bank accounts will be taken in consideration. We had to show that we had closed all our Spanish bank accounts.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

SOBRINO4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Due to the terrible job situation here in Spain we have now decided after 4 years to go back to the UK despite really not wanting to have to go. We love living here and it has been a brilliant life for both of us and our 2 kids who have learnt to speak spanish fluently. What a pity but we just cant seem to survive here financially. We have a small local (shop) where my husband repairs and sells computers but over the last 2 years business has dropped by half and I cant seem to find work to help boost his income. My kids are 6 & 10 so we are governed by school hours.

Anyway unfortunately we have nowhere to go back to so we were wondering what our entitlements are, ie benefits etc if any, after being away from the UK for 4 years?

The other difficulty too is we have my mother living with us who is 80yrs old in good health but this is another problem of ours to consider where is she going to live too!

We have virtually little or no family so we will obviously need a house and to find schools etc.

Will we get any sort of financial support from the goverment I wonder? We had our own property in the UK before and sold it and now have virtually nothing which is a great shame! All our savings have gone basically so we have been able to live here.

Our dream has now turned into a nightmare. How many times have we heard this??
I moved back from the Canaries to England 2 years ago. I spent 10 years there, and like you, I loved the life and my son was born there and his first language was Spanish. Unfortunately, I too had to leave because of the financial climate (as well as leaving an abusive partner). Initially I settled easily, the novelty I think.
I didn't get any help from the government for 3 months, as they say that they do not consider you a resident until then. I was told later though, that if I had taken my spanish nominas with proof that I had paid tax in Spain that I could have gone onto Jobseekers allowance.
As mentioned I have been back for 2 years, and I am really missing my life over there. In hindsight I wish I had stayed and battled on, because I am no better off financially in England, and there is hardly any work in my area. Also if you have been out of the country for more than a few years, they seem to think of you as an alien and won't even give you an interview, let alone want to get references from abroad. (in my experience anyway, and I have good qualifications and work experience)
Obviously having been away for so long, I have really changed and feel that people are not so laid back here and are quick to criticise and tell you how you should be living your life. I don't think anyone can understand what it's like to live abroad unless you've done it. I feel like a square peg in a round hole. Still trying to make it work though, as financially it is impossible for me go abroad again.
Also children in England don't have the freedom that they have in Spain and are stuck indoors most of the time.
Obviously only you can make the decision and know what is right for you, just to say that the grass is not greener back here!
Old Aug 20th 2010, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

cajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SOBRINO4
I moved back from the Canaries to England 2 years ago. I spent 10 years there, and like you, I loved the life and my son was born there and his first language was Spanish. Unfortunately, I too had to leave because of the financial climate (as well as leaving an abusive partner). Initially I settled easily, the novelty I think.
I didn't get any help from the government for 3 months, as they say that they do not consider you a resident until then. I was told later though, that if I had taken my spanish nominas with proof that I had paid tax in Spain that I could have gone onto Jobseekers allowance.
As mentioned I have been back for 2 years, and I am really missing my life over there. In hindsight I wish I had stayed and battled on, because I am no better off financially in England, and there is hardly any work in my area. Also if you have been out of the country for more than a few years, they seem to think of you as an alien and won't even give you an interview, let alone want to get references from abroad. (in my experience anyway, and I have good qualifications and work experience)
Obviously having been away for so long, I have really changed and feel that people are not so laid back here and are quick to criticise and tell you how you should be living your life. I don't think anyone can understand what it's like to live abroad unless you've done it. I feel like a square peg in a round hole. Still trying to make it work though, as financially it is impossible for me go abroad again.
Also children in England don't have the freedom that they have in Spain and are stuck indoors most of the time.
Obviously only you can make the decision and know what is right for you, just to say that the grass is not greener back here!
sobrino i'd agree with pretty much everything you've said.
I've been back 10 months or so now and came back from a very similar situation as yourself. I've really struggled with the lifestyle here, and i feel for my children, the youngest was born in spain and they both had so much freedom, we've come back here to a small flat and they dont go out much as its not as safe as they are used to, they just arent streetwise enough. Like you say I felt at times like a bit of a square peg in a round hole, like there is something missing from our life that i can never quite put my finger on. But on the upside the UK has given me opportunities that i would never have had in Spain after i left my husband, i was able to find a home for me and my children and claim benefits, which some may find a terrible attitude to have, but the system is there for people when they are in need, which we were when we came back. My children have settled now although my eldest has struggled making new friends but hopefully once september comes she'll settle back in again.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 10:12 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

I wonder how SuzieFloozy is doing?

I am trying to move back and it has to be a hundred times more difficult to go back than to come...and that´s with me wanting to go back.

But I admire the two last posters who have made it back and made a good go of it back there although you both preferred Spain. One day you both may be back!!

I wish everyone who has to go back all the best and overcome the financial difficulties .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.