Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving back to the UK from Spain

Moving back to the UK from Spain

Old Aug 27th 2010, 3:04 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the UK from Spain

The new part of Alicante airport is opening from next September for long-haul flights. China is the obvious target, although I can't see that they can fit any more Chinese into the province, it's already full up. But if the Chinese tourists go to Benidorm they will feel at home, their shops are already there waiting for them.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

sarahwatts is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by suziefloozie
Due to the terrible job situation here in Spain we have now decided after 4 years to go back to the UK despite really not wanting to have to go. We love living here and it has been a brilliant life for both of us and our 2 kids who have learnt to speak spanish fluently. What a pity but we just cant seem to survive here financially. We have a small local (shop) where my husband repairs and sells computers but over the last 2 years business has dropped by half and I cant seem to find work to help boost his income. My kids are 6 & 10 so we are governed by school hours.

Anyway unfortunately we have nowhere to go back to so we were wondering what our entitlements are, ie benefits etc if any, after being away from the UK for 4 years?

The other difficulty too is we have my mother living with us who is 80yrs old in good health but this is another problem of ours to consider where is she going to live too!

We have virtually little or no family so we will obviously need a house and to find schools etc.

Will we get any sort of financial support from the goverment I wonder? We had our own property in the UK before and sold it and now have virtually nothing which is a great shame! All our savings have gone basically so we have been able to live here.

Our dream has now turned into a nightmare. How many times have we heard this??
Hi we are in the same situation we have lived in Spain for 6 years have 3 kids 2 born in Spain we have contemplated going back to England but have decided to try and stay here in Spain. We have down sized and now rent an apartment, we lost our house to the bank! we have changed our business to suit the times and are struggling on things always look greener when things are bad so think hard before you go back! but if you have to your kids would have had a great time here we have to do best by our kids at the end of the day, we now do removals to boost our income not good for me as my husband is away alot now and my oldest is only 6, but if we can be of help to you let me know. All the best for the future and don't ever think you have failed it's just a blip things will get better x
Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:57 pm
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HBG
The new part of Alicante airport is opening from next September for long-haul flights. China is the obvious target, although I can't see that they can fit any more Chinese into the province, it's already full up. But if the Chinese tourists go to Benidorm they will feel at home, their shops are already there waiting for them.

Hmmmm !! I get the impression you are not too keen on the Chinese coming then... everyone is welcome, especially hard working people, including xenophobes !!

And I love their Wok Buffets, fireworks, dragons and martial arts !!
Old Sep 9th 2010, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GrapeEater
Hmmmm !! I get the impression you are not too keen on the Chinese coming then... everyone is welcome, especially hard working people, including xenophobes !!

And I love their Wok Buffets, fireworks, dragons and martial arts !!
As I see it Chinese are hardworking and they dont try to impose their culture or religion on us westerners so I dont have a problem with them, another plus is they are forcing many arab euro shops to close which is fine by me as I think islam has no place in the western world.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 8:05 am
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rotor
As I see it Chinese are hardworking and they dont try to impose their culture or religion on us westerners so I dont have a problem with them, another plus is they are forcing many arab euro shops to close which is fine by me as I think islam has no place in the western world.
Agree about Chinese and anybody prepard to work hard to pay their way. - not getting into islam / religion / arab shops ... that's not for this thread !!
Old Sep 9th 2010, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suziefloozie
We did not just move out to Spain on a whim it was something that was planned for a long time and in fact we paid a reputable (we thought at the time) relocation company to help us find the right area in spain to live based on my husband's business experience, schools for the kids, place for my mum to make friends & settle. We bought all our belongings in fact the whole house was moved over. We were not fortunate enough to be able to buy a property either (in some respects this is a godsend) now.
But when we first came here our business was booming like everyone elses.
So please dont tell me that we are going to sponge off the English system when we go back. I have worked all my life in the UK which is over 40yrs so why should I NOT be entitled to get some help from there?? I have never claimed a thing either during my life cos I have ALWays WORKED.

Have a heart some of you please!!
Hi Suzie. I also wish you luck. We're in a similar situation, Except we have a half built house here. And I agree that it might be best if your husband goes back alone for a while if you have some work here. It would be harsh . But maybe not as difficult as uprooting the kids. That's what we're trying next. There is definitely a need for computers and computer 'geeks' here. But the language barrier is the biggest problem. And unfortunately, the cleverest computer guys are not often the best salesmen are they?;-) If you want a bit of a moan, out of the often judgemental public forum I'm here.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

truckergareth is a jewel in the roughtruckergareth is a jewel in the roughtruckergareth is a jewel in the roughtruckergareth is a jewel in the roughtruckergareth is a jewel in the rough

We have been here for 7 years and have been fortunate. We have never been rolling it it down here but have survived. It is extremely hard to get by here and anyone who finds they have to return "home" should never feel that they have failed, but leave with their heads held high as they had the balls to get off the sofa and do it for real. Good luck to you and your family. This adventure will just make you stronger.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 8:16 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

This adventure will just make you stronger.

Not always so, many marriages have broken up as the result of a failed spanish move and financial problems.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

truckergareth is a jewel in the roughtruckergareth is a jewel in the roughtruckergareth is a jewel in the roughtruckergareth is a jewel in the roughtruckergareth is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jackytoo
This adventure will just make you stronger.

Not always so, many marriages have broken up as the result of a failed spanish move and financial problems.
Nice one The glass is half empty hey The relationship would have been rocky to start. Being here has bought my wife and I closer together as we only have each other to rely on
Old Sep 9th 2010, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

cajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by truckergareth
Nice one The glass is half empty hey The relationship would have been rocky to start. Being here has bought my wife and I closer together as we only have each other to rely on
I disagree. The strain it can put on people can be unbearable and can make people behave in a way that is very out of character for them.