Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Alicante

Moving to Alicante

Old Apr 9th 2014, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Alicante

Originally Posted by Glasgow Billy
Thanks for booking.com. I didn't think of that and noticed a few bargains to be had compared to travel agents rates. Some hotels are 70% cheaper that the agents in the UK can offer. I will just use that site and get flights sorted online too via skyscanner.

I am thinking along the lines of staying central to Alicante city, so will take a look around and venture outside using public transport, as that is what will be doing when living there full time.

I would only need transport to the airport once a fortnight, which is what taxis are for. Cars are too expensive to run for 6 months a year.

Excitement is kicking in.
Have a look at airbnb. It's a different way of staying in places. You can get a whole apartment or just a room. With the latter, you get to meet people already living there and can learn a lot about the area from them. And, private rooms in Alicante are less than 20 GBP a night.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 6:12 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoy
Old Apr 9th 2014, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Cars are too expensive to run for 6 months a year.
Hire cars are cheap, especially out of season, if you are thinking of taxi's from Torrevieja to Alicante Airport and a bit of general running around, you might even be in pocket. Personally I would hate to rely on public transport, you don't have to have a car every time, occasionally would be nice though. If you were a regular, you could easily strike a deal with one of the car hire companies. Just looking at taxi prices on that journey, it's around €50 each way, probably get a car for a similar figure.

Last edited by agoreira; Apr 9th 2014 at 7:39 am.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 12:34 pm
Banned

NEWCOMO is an unknown quantity at this point

After an unexpected and dramatic change in my life I am now looking to make the move to Alicante later in the year. I have not decided exactly where yet and will make a couple trips over for research purposes over the next few months to have a decent look.

I would like to be central to Alicante or within walking distance. My other thinking is somewhere nearer towards to Benidorm (taxi home distance) Any recommendations on the latter? I am looking for a 2 bedroom house or apartment.

I work in the UK so will continue to pay Tax in the UK for the time being. I will also be a non-resident as i will be out of the country for more than 6 months of the year.

Do i still need to register with the authorities for opening a bank account and other things?

Does it cost a lot to send money back to the UK? Say £500

What speed is the broadband and what are the costs for a good connection?

UK TV? is this via SAT or online using a UK IP address?

I believe medical cover could cost around 200 euro each quarter, is this correct?

I am looking to start learning spanish a.s.a.p (Rosetta Stone?) and then take lessons maybe twice a week when im not at work.
What are the cost of lessons in Alicante?
What are the thoughts of Rosetta Stone? Any success stories?
I am really keen to learn the language (as most say at the start) but as i once lived in Holland i noticed the difference being able to speak enough dutch to get by after is was too late. I am not going to make that mistake again.

Any wise words of wisdom welcome.

I am 40 with no kids and not looking for a constant party life.
An easy, relaxing life although not boring if that makes sense.
There are a lot of newspapers in costa blanca..

Sol Times
Costa Blanca News
The Coast Rider

etc.. all with internet pages covering most of your questions.

Medical

You need to make sure whether you are going to live permanently (resident) or non-resident (and return to UK).. If you are non-resident status you do not need any medical cover just an EHIC card and a permanent address in UK.

TV

If you buy/rent an apartment most have TV.. via SAT normally.

Banking

You can open a non-resident/resident account here just need a NIF/NIE number.

Sending Money back to the UK... (most send it to Spain !) so I would only transfer what you need to spain when you need it. If you work in Spain, then it makes sense to keep it is spain and only transfer when it is a reasonable amount.

Car Hire.

You can get good deals for 90-100 euros per week.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

MrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by agoreira
Hire cars are cheap, especially out of season,
Subscribe to Auto Europe newsletters. I get offers every couple of days and the price for car hire in Spain has gone from £5/day to £2/day to £7/day in the past 14 days, and there's generally a good selection of providers in their listings.

We're thinking of just hiring a car while we're over. At these prices it is much more cost effecient for us than buying.