Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Alicante

Moving to Alicante

Old Apr 3rd 2014, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

Glasgow Billy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Alicante

After an unexpected and dramatic change in my life I am now looking to make the move to Alicante later in the year. I have not decided exactly where yet and will make a couple trips over for research purposes over the next few months to have a decent look.

I would like to be central to Alicante or within walking distance. My other thinking is somewhere nearer towards to Benidorm (taxi home distance) Any recommendations on the latter? I am looking for a 2 bedroom house or apartment.

I work in the UK so will continue to pay Tax in the UK for the time being. I will also be a non-resident as i will be out of the country for more than 6 months of the year.

Do i still need to register with the authorities for opening a bank account and other things?

Does it cost a lot to send money back to the UK? Say £500

What speed is the broadband and what are the costs for a good connection?

UK TV? is this via SAT or online using a UK IP address?

I believe medical cover could cost around 200 euro each quarter, is this correct?

I am looking to start learning spanish a.s.a.p (Rosetta Stone?) and then take lessons maybe twice a week when im not at work.
What are the cost of lessons in Alicante?
What are the thoughts of Rosetta Stone? Any success stories?
I am really keen to learn the language (as most say at the start) but as i once lived in Holland i noticed the difference being able to speak enough dutch to get by after is was too late. I am not going to make that mistake again.

Any wise words of wisdom welcome.

I am 40 with no kids and not looking for a constant party life.
An easy, relaxing life although not boring if that makes sense.

Last edited by Glasgow Billy; Apr 3rd 2014 at 10:45 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 5:32 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Alicante

Good for you.

You cannot be anywhere in Alicante and within a short taxi ride to Benidorm. Good hotels are cheap, stay a night or two.

You do not "choose" where to be tax resident.

It is possible to send money to and from UK without charges. I wonder why you ask, when you said working in UK? Presumably you would be sending money FROM the UK?

Rosetta Stone is expensive and don't know anyone who has completed the course. Check your local UK college for Spanish classes - IMHO one of the cheapest and best ways to learn the basics. Je nederlands spreekt?

You will need proof of an address and a passport to open a bank account.

Last edited by missile; Apr 4th 2014 at 5:38 am.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 7:39 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glasgow Billy
After an unexpected and dramatic change in my life I am now looking to make the move to Alicante later in the year. I have not decided exactly where yet and will make a couple trips over for research purposes over the next few months to have a decent look.

I would like to be central to Alicante or within walking distance. My other thinking is somewhere nearer towards to Benidorm (taxi home distance) Any recommendations on the latter? I am looking for a 2 bedroom house or apartment.

I work in the UK so will continue to pay Tax in the UK for the time being. I will also be a non-resident as i will be out of the country for more than 6 months of the year.

Do i still need to register with the authorities for opening a bank account and other things?

I believe medical cover could cost around 200 euro each quarter, is this correct?

I am looking to start learning spanish a.s.a.p (Rosetta Stone?) and then take lessons maybe twice a week when im not at work.
I am really keen to learn the language (as most say at the start) but as i once lived in Holland i noticed the difference being able to speak enough dutch to get by after is was too late. I am not going to make that mistake again.

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Apr 4th 2014, 7:56 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I would think close to Benidorm would be better, somewhere like Albir or Altea, not far away, and an easy taxi ride, or even a bus ride away, with a regular, every 20 mins or so bus service.
Not sure of costs of Spanish lessons, but Lynn will be able to tell you whan she gets on. Broadband in Albir wasn't too bad, but it will be a lot slower than you are used to in the UK.
UK TV would almost certainly have to be via a large dish and SKY, but you will need the SKY card to be issued to a UK address, otherwise via the internet using a VPN.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Billy,

Regarding the Spanish. My wife wanted to learn and the method of Rosetta appealed to her. My view, having seen somebody use it, is that it's a complete waste of time. You would certainly need to supplement it with other methods too, so if doing that, why not just rely on the other methods? That's my view.

I did mine with the OU and it was excellent. The discipline of logging on and having a on-line class each week was just what I needed to keep me going. The downside is that classes start once a year (Feb, i think) and are quite expensive compared to local colleges.

I'd also recommend a web site with which I have no connection, I just think it's good. www.notesinspanish.com.

Good luck.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies and advice.

I hope to make a trip over for a few days in around 3 weeks. I have been looking at last minute packages, but i think im going to just get flights and find somewhere to live when i get there. Good idea?

Horlics: I had a look at some private tuition in Glasgow and i think that will be the best option for the next few months until i get over full time. Thanks for the link, it is much appriciated.

mikelincs:Thanks for those two names. I will do some research into whats on offer. Do these places have large ex-pat community? Not that im bothered, just curious.
Getting a sky card from the UK will not be a problem and for my needs a 2mb connection will be good enough. What is the average speed? Does it vary from town to town?

missile: My plan was to open a Spanish bank account and have my wages placed in there. Several times a year i need to send money back to the UK. My bank would have a field day with charges if i stayed with RBS.

I work offshore for a company in Aberdeen so would stay on the UK tax system i believe.

Ja, ik Sprek klein beetje Nederlands. Mijn werkplatts is nu uit Den Helder tot 2015. Dan ik ga naar UK sector.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 5:50 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I hope to make a trip over for a few days in around 3 weeks. I have been looking at last minute packages, but i think im going to just get flights and find somewhere to live when i get there. Good idea?
missile: My plan was to open a Spanish bank account and have my wages placed in there. Several times a year i need to send money back to the UK. My bank would have a field day with charges if i stayed with RBS.

I work offshore for a company in Aberdeen so would stay on the UK tax system i believe.

Ja, ik Sprek klein beetje Nederlands. Mijn werkplatts is nu uit Den Helder tot 2015. Dan ik ga naar UK sector.

Thanks again.
Accommodation is easy to find and much cheaper than in Aberfreeze.
Seems like you are following me , I worked for Shell SIPM in Den Helder I guess you are on one of the NAM offshore platforms?
Old Apr 7th 2014, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Horlics

I did mine with the OU and it was excellent. The discipline of logging on and having a on-line class each week was just what I needed to keep me going. The downside is that classes start once a year (Feb, i think) and are quite expensive compared to local colleges.

I'd also recommend a web site with which I have no connection, I just think it's good. www.notesinspanish.com.

Good luck.
Yes, the OU course is good, but as you say, expensive. A friend of mine did it years ago, he had a grant, and he now teaches Spanish. I didn't do it, but saw all his material, En Rumbo, Viento en Popa etc it was good. Plenty of old material in NIS, Ben and Marina gave up on the site a long time ago, they just left it as it was. Ben seems to have taken the mystic route now.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 9:28 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Horlics: I had a look at some private tuition in Glasgow and i think that will be the best option for the next few months until i get over full time. Thanks for the link, it is much appriciated.

mikelincs:Thanks for those two names. I will do some research into whats on offer. Do these places have large ex-pat community? Not that im bothered, just curious.
Getting a sky card from the UK will not be a problem and for my needs a 2mb connection will be good enough. What is the average speed? Does it vary from town to town?

Thanks again.
Reasonable numbers of Expats in both, there are restaurants varying from English to Spanish, French German etc., we used Movistar with a wifi router in Albir, and the speed was reasonable, but we left 5 years ago. If you do think of moving there, then for legal use I would recommend Express Legal Cafe

http://www.expresslegalcafe.com/

I have no connection with them, but did use them when I was there. They are both English and Spanish solicitors, so are able to help with stuff from both countries.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by missile
Accommodation is easy to find and much cheaper than in Aberfreeze.
Seems like you are following me , I worked for Shell SIPM in Den Helder I guess you are on one of the NAM offshore platforms?
I am currently on an accomodation jack up rig as a Radio Operator. I used to work on NAM (Not Another Meeting) platforms many years ago in another position. I hear there is a lot of offshore workers over there.

How is accomodation to find upon arrival in 3 weeks? without having to book a package holiday. what do you recommend?
Old Apr 7th 2014, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Reasonable numbers of Expats in both, there are restaurants varying from English to Spanish, French German etc., we used Movistar with a wifi router in Albir, and the speed was reasonable, but we left 5 years ago. If you do think of moving there, then for legal use I would recommend Express Legal Cafe

I have no connection with them, but did use them when I was there. They are both English and Spanish solicitors, so are able to help with stuff from both countries.
Cheers Milclincs. Loads of places to watch TV online nowadays compared to 5 years ago. £5 a month can get a UK IP address which wont be as slow as a VPN.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
If you do think of moving there, then for legal use I would recommend Express Legal Cafe

Hi Mike, Is there any other English speaking solicitors you have used within the Benidorm area that you might recommend?

The express legal café looks excellent on the website.

Thanks
Old Apr 8th 2014, 6:00 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by tebo53
Hi Mike, Is there any other English speaking solicitors you have used within the Benidorm area that you might recommend?

The express legal café looks excellent on the website.

Thanks
No, we used them to sort out problems caused by another solicitor.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 7:16 am
Started off with nothing

I am currently on an accomodation jack up rig as a Radio Operator. I used to work on NAM (Not Another Meeting) platforms many years ago in another position. I hear there is a lot of offshore workers over there.

How is accomodation to find upon arrival in 3 weeks? without having to book a package holiday. what do you recommend?
Not Another Meeting <LOL>

Accommodation is easy and you could arrive on spec, jump a taxi and ask the driver to recommend somewhere. However I would feel more comfortable having a booking for a night or two on arrival. If you give me an idea of your budget and where you want to be, I can suggest or use booking.com.

Alicante is a large sprawling city. You really need a car if you want to explore it and Benidorm.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 12:39 am
Just Joined

Thanks for booking.com. I didn't think of that and noticed a few bargains to be had compared to travel agents rates. Some hotels are 70% cheaper that the agents in the UK can offer. I will just use that site and get flights sorted online too via skyscanner.

I am thinking along the lines of staying central to Alicante city, so will take a look around and venture outside using public transport, as that is what will be doing when living there full time.

I would only need transport to the airport once a fortnight, which is what taxis are for. Cars are too expensive to run for 6 months a year.

Excitement is kicking in.

Last edited by Glasgow Billy; Apr 9th 2014 at 12:42 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.