Old Apr 4th 2014, 8:24 am
El Rancho Fifer

fifer1952 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Age

Hi All
Just registered as I am heading to Murcia in May to view properties.

As an introduction, I am 62 year old from Fife in Scotland and work offshore overseas. I love watching my local football team [east Fife] home and away when on my 24 days off. Reason I mention the footie is because that's the only thing I would miss!

I Own a caravan in Perthshire and use it most of my time off, had it for many years. This was our get away. We would have preferred a property in Spain but my wife was terrified to travel, hence the caravan.

I stopped asking her years ago about moving as it stressed her out as she thought she was letting me down, our son and daughter tried to coax her as well but to no avail. I brought the subject up recently and at last she has decided to try and overcome her fears and go for it.

She has really taken to the idea now and has regretted not moving years ago. She says we have missed out and quite sorry actually.

We would live in Murcia during my time off and she would go home while I go back to work. This would be the routine until I retire at 65. She hit me with a question last night!! Do you think at 62 we are too old to live in Spain now??? 62 years old now and we are both healthy but 10 years down the line?? 72?? WOMEN! What a thought to put in a mans mind! I only feel 62 when I look in the mirror

Personally, im really looking forward to moving and living in Spain and I guess when the novelty period passes the real life style change will start.

Are we too old to start now??

Have a nice day all.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Age

Some people at 62 have 3 years left, others have 30. You can say the same about people at 40. Who knows?

Regardless, i think you should spend them living where you want to live.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 8:32 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fifer1952
Hi All

As an introduction, I am 62 year old from Fife in Scotland and work offshore overseas. I love watching my local football team [east Fife] home and away when on my 24 days off. Reason I mention the footie is because that's the only thing I would miss!

I Own a caravan in Perthshire and use it most of my time off, had it for many years. This was our get away. We would have preferred a property in Spain but my wife was terrified to travel, hence the caravan.

I stopped asking her years ago about moving as it stressed her out as she thought she was letting me down, our son and daughter tried to coax her as well but to no avail. I brought the subject up recently and at last she has decided to try and overcome her fears and go for it.

She has really taken to the idea now and has regretted not moving years ago. She says we have missed out and quite sorry actually.

We would live in Murcia during my time off and she would go home while I go back to work. This would be the routine until I retire at 65. She hit me with a question last night!! Do you think at 62 we are too old to live in Spain now??? 62 years old now and we are both healthy but 10 years down the line?? 72?? WOMEN! What a thought to put in a mans mind! I only feel 62 when I look in the mirror

Personally, im really looking forward to moving and living in Spain and I guess when the novelty period passes the real life style change will start.

Have a nice day all.

There are loads of 62 year olds who come to Spain, and older.

If the day ever comes when you do feel that Spain is not right for you, for whatever reason, just go back to Fife.

It's not so complicated, at least you will be able to understand the locals there, where as I would have to do a language course, ouch aye the noo.....
Old Apr 4th 2014, 8:32 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Have a nice day all.
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Apr 4th 2014, 8:57 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

. She hit me with a question last night!! Do you think at 62 we are too old to live in Spain now??? 62 years old now and we are both healthy but 10 years down the line?? 72?? WOMEN! What a thought to put in a mans mind! I only feel 62 when I look in the mirror
It is perfectly normal to come up with all sorts of weird and wonderful questions when you are making such a huge life change.

My husband was like you regarding wanting to live in Spain and I was the person who definitely did not want to leave the UK. One evening I surprised him by saying that I wanted to give it a try on the understanding that if it did not work for me we would return.

I took to it so well that I think that most people here thought that I was the one who was keen and that my husband was the reluctant one.

We bought our house in 2004, moved here permanently in 2006 and started the renovating of our house which finished in late 2008 or early 2009. Graham was a very strong and extremely healthy man but he became ill in November 2009, operations, hospital admittances and never well again, he died in July 2012 (one month before his 67th birthday). During his illness he kept on saying that all he wanted was to get me back to the UK until I pointed out to him that I was happy here and that my support network was here.

The reason that I am telling you this is really to say that if we had known what the future held we would not have moved here and that would have meant that we did not fulfill my husbands dream. One of the things that has comforted me since he died is that by me changing my mind about moving he had done something that he had always wanted to do, by moving here we had followed his dream and that is still important to me.

Almost 2 years later I am still here, not happy without him but still content with the life that we made here, I do not know what the future holds for me but I do not regret what we did at all.

You cannot predict the future so live the life that you want to because then there are no regrets.

Rosemary
Old Apr 4th 2014, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
There are loads of 62 year olds who come to Spain, and older.

If the day ever comes when you do feel that Spain is not right for you, for whatever reason, just go back to Fife.

It's not so complicated, at least you will be able to understand the locals there, where as I would have to do a language course, ouch aye the noo.....

Welcome fifer1952!
Ye'll ken yer way aroon the forum nae bother an' soon like, neebur!

33+ years and still learning!
Old Apr 4th 2014, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I'm also 62, the OH is 60 and we are moving out there in a couple of months

Don't think you are to old at any age if you want to do it.

Good luck and go for it
Old Apr 4th 2014, 4:39 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

If the age of 62 was officially declared as too old for expats living in Spain, something like 700,000 British expats would have to return home tomorrow.

The provinces of Malaga and Alicante would revert back to farmland and Murcia would be returned to the desert.

(If you are going to buy in Murcia have a look in today's Costa Blanca News, the expat's bible)
Old Apr 4th 2014, 5:04 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

It is a question that concerns us and no doubt many others.
The reality of what could happen was bought home to us only a few months ago.
We were having a drink one afternoon and there were two women sat behing us. One was obviously very distressed. Later were found out that she and her husband had moved to Portugal some years before. Both healthy retirees they had enjoyed the lifestyle bought a boat and life was good.
Now the husband has alzheimers, the PT health service offers little or no help and there are very few if any other support groups. Would it be any different in Spain?
She has become a virtual 7 day. 24 hour carer with the only break coming when a friend or visiting family member takes over for a few hours.
She faces a very uncertain future as all their savings are tied up in a home that they bought at the height of the property boom and if they could sell would not allow them to purchase a decent home suitable for their needs in that part of the UK they came from.
None of us know what the future holds but this case and others we know of has made us decide to if we can retain some form of UK property and our UK connections.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 5:19 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
It is a question that concerns us and no doubt many others.
The reality of what could happen was bought home to us only a few months ago.
We were having a drink one afternoon and there were two women sat behing us. One was obviously very distressed. Later were found out that she and her husband had moved to Portugal some years before. Both healthy retirees they had enjoyed the lifestyle bought a boat and life was good.
Now the husband has alzheimers, the PT health service offers little or no help and there are very few if any other support groups. Would it be any different in Spain?
She has become a virtual 7 day. 24 hour carer with the only break coming when a friend or visiting family member takes over for a few hours.
She faces a very uncertain future as all their savings are tied up in a home that they bought at the height of the property boom and if they could sell would not allow them to purchase a decent home suitable for their needs in that part of the UK they came from.
None of us know what the future holds but this case and others we know of has made us decide to if we can retain some form of UK property and our UK connections.
By sheer weight of numbers and many caring expats among them, we now have help available for most problems encountered by expats as they get older and their health fades. That help is available in busy expatland only and sadly not in the rest of Spain - unless the expat is able to live just like a local Spaniard, starting with expert language skills.

But how many expats consider their later life health provisions when arriving in the perpetual sunshine and Sangria?
Old Apr 4th 2014, 6:22 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

Most Expats think they can return "when the time comes". Indeed many have already done so - with varying rates of success.

As has been said, "you cannot predict the future" so if you think it is worth it then do it without regret. If you don´t do it then you will never know.

So I would advise "Yes go for it - but don´t put all your eggs into the basket" leave a little for that rainy day

Davexf
Old Apr 4th 2014, 7:10 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

Most Expats think they can return "when the time comes". Indeed many have already done so - with varying rates of success.

As has been said, "you cannot predict the future" so if you think it is worth it then do it without regret. If you don´t do it then you will never know.

So I would advise "Yes go for it - but don´t put all your eggs into the basket" leave a little for that rainy day

Davexf
Good advice. The trouble is most expats sell up totally in the UK and have nothing to return to if it goes wrong in Spain. Unless they impose on family and that hurts your pride.

It know it sounds dull and unexciting, but if you're in an expat area you can find help not available if you're in a remote finca or real Spain where nobody knows what you're saying to them.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Fifer1952, Don't let anybody put you off your dream. You ain't going to get Alzheimer's or anything like that so enjoy years of sunshine and all the pleasures of Spain

Thousands of people go every year and live a very healthy life and enjoy life for many years. Sell your house if you want and live well off the money

Good luck to you and your OH.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 9:55 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by tebo53
Hi Fifer1952, Don't let anybody put you off your dream. You ain't going to get Alzheimer's or anything like that so enjoy years of sunshine and all the pleasures of Spain

Thousands of people go every year and live a very healthy life and enjoy life for many years. Sell your house if you want and live well off the money

Good luck to you and your OH.
I stand corrected. I don't know what came over me with all that cautious nonsense.

I arrived in Estepona with suitcase in the late eighties and I've been in Spain ever since.

I don't know how to measure a happiness level, but I'm still as content as can be. I could be wrong, but I don't think I would be any happier in Kirkcaldy, Edinburgh, Bromley or Bude. I'm too embarrassed to mention 30 years in Hackney.

I'm on the outskirts of Torrevieja, it's a bit rough at times, and seeing it's minutes away from midnight, I'm going to brag that I used to box for Leith.

I wasn't any good.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 8:42 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

I too would recommend keeping somewhere in UK, even a mobile home would do, just somewhere to come back to if it goes pear-shaped.

Other than that, of course you are not too old! Come and enjoy it, but be wise as well as enthusiastic.

Enjoy your new life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.