Reload this Page >

A move to Spain ?

A move to Spain ?

Old May 15th 2019, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Debs276 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A move to Spain ?

Hi
My husband and I ,and possibly 28 yr old daughter plus two dogs are looking to buy and live on a permanent basis in Spain possibly in two years time, if not before.
We are both early 50’s and want to enjoy life and chill before we get any older and are not looking to work in Spain.
We understand quite a bit as reading plenty of info on the internet about legal procedures etc involved in setting up home in Spain .
Just a bit of advice atm as we have seen many property’s on websites that would suit us :- rural , a bit of space from neighbours and with outside space.
One really took our fancy in Benaganim but I have read somebody say that this is not a very nice place .
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
Deb
Old May 15th 2019, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A move to Spain ?

I take it you've heard of Brexit?

Short of that being called off completely (pigs might fly) then it's a near certainty that what you propose will simply not be impossibe.

Your only hope is that a deal gets done, with a transition period, and that you can move before that comes to an end which, as far as anybody knows at the moment, will be Dec 31st. 2020 or perhaps shortly thereafter.

Hope you didn't vote leave
​​​
Old May 15th 2019, 12:20 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin

Short of that being called off completely (pigs might fly) then it's a near certainty that what you propose will simply not be impossibe.

Your only hope is that a deal gets done, with a transition period, and that you can move before that comes to an end which, as far as anybody knows at the moment, will be Dec 31st. 2020 or perhaps shortly thereafter.

​​​
Simply incorrect - depending on your finances you don’t need an EU passport to retire to Spain at the moment. You also assume the Spanish government will not implement an independent visa policy to allow British retirees to continue to move to Spain post-Brexit.
Old May 15th 2019, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin

​​​
Of course I’ve heard of Brexit !!! Notdunroamin
Sarcasm not needed.
Would hope that Spain will continue to treat foreign friends who contribute to their economy as is Britain’s intention.
We would kindly appreciate positive comments about Spanish areas as we are positive about living with the Spanish enjoying their - country, weather, hospitality , culture food and way of life .
Old May 16th 2019, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute

Debs, I think you are being a little harsh on Dunroamin. He doesn't have to contribute here and I welcome any poster her who even offers a smidgen of advice. Most of us who use the forum know many of the pitfalls that await the unsuspecting. If you want nothing but positive posts, then sound, off you go, but you are leaving much truth behind.

Whether Brexit will happen or not matters little. Just an observation the situation with Brexit is slowing the price of property on the Costas. (Many won't agree with what I am saying, but deep down they know that owners are holiding off on sales to see what the horizon is like in say a year's time). The upshot for you, of course, is that property is still relatively cheap outside of the main cities. So perhaps, for you opportunity knocks?

I'm not going to get into the ifs and buts of the Brexit situation. These have been discussed on every forum from Málaga to John O'Groats. But, I bet you don't want to commit financial suicide and (a) buy a property that reduces in value and (b) somewhere where you would hate getting out of bed every morning (c) you want a decent return on your investment.

Even if the UK decides to remain in the EU the price of property on the Costas is not going to jump significantly. People have learnt tough lessons from the recession and outside of its main cities Spain is recovering slowly, but recovering nonetheless.

To reduce your risk of any of the aforementioned, I recommend you spend no fewer than 5/6 weeks in rented accommodation in whatever area you intend to buy. This short period will inform you (i) If Spain is for you (ii) You will discover if this particular area is for you.

If anybody is disputing anything I'm saying (remember I'm talking resort areas only) have a look at some of the popular real estate agent websites. Its 18 months or more on some of the properties that have been marked "Sold." To real estate agents this is better than a blank and gives the impression that there is more for sale than advertised.

Anyway, enough of my preaching, we live on-and-off in Mojacar Playa (Costa Almeria) so I walk the talk. My main advice to you is that before even a deposit is handed over is to engage a Spanish solicitor who will act solely for you and not for the vendor, estate agent, builder.
Old May 16th 2019, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Don't buy, rent for a year at least to make sure Spain is for you full time. Remember, buying is very easy over there but selling could see you waiting years for a buyer (I'm not joking) thats why I say rent for at least a year.
Old May 16th 2019, 8:52 am
Just Joined

Apologies if the comment seemed a bit harsh answering dunroaming .
However thankyou all for constructive replies .
We have already discussed renting for a while and understand the complexities of it all including brexit.
My posts have been just to find out about areas - any suggestions, yes we have noticed and understand about so called reserved and sold properties that have come back on the market .
Thanks again
Deb
Old May 16th 2019, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Debs, Spain is a huge place, and Benaganim doesnt show up on google? Where abouts are you looking at buying ? Theres plently of cheap property under 100,000 € with 4000m2 of land if you are looking a little inland, away from the coast - and this applies all over spain. Prices in the north are alot cheaper - you can get a much nicer house for the same money.
Old May 16th 2019, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Debs276
Apologies if the comment seemed a bit harsh answering dunroaming .
However thankyou all for constructive replies .
We have already discussed renting for a while and understand the complexities of it all including brexit.
My posts have been just to find out about areas - any suggestions, yes we have noticed and understand about so called reserved and sold properties that have come back on the market .
Thanks again
Deb
It also depends on your budget and living in Spain on a permanent basis will be different than spending a few weeks somewhere. As always, things can also change when you get older and you might realise that the old finca seemed nice at first but doesn't suit you later in life and can't be sold etc. Regarding areas, Spain is so huge and every area has different regulations and advantages. I suppose most Brits are mainly focused on areas they know from holiday (South), or they try and find cheap property further inland.
Old May 16th 2019, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Trouble with recommending an area is it is very personal what suits one doesn't suit another. Same with location Campo or village/town, horses for courses. Have you had holidays living in the Campo? Or have you previously stayed in resort? Both Campo and village life is very different to resort areas. As has been said and you yourself mention renting initially best idea and even before that try holiday stays in variety of areas Campo inland town/villages to both get a feel for what suits and choose an area that suits your requirements. Good luck
Old May 16th 2019, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Hi Benaganim is in the Albaida Valley Valencia
Thanks for encouraging advice.
Not important to us to make a profit if we sell in years to come , we just want to enjoy life for a good few years, not working live off some good savings , that’s another dilemma ‘ how much’ to live a simple life for 10 years .

Last edited by Debs276; May 16th 2019 at 10:37 am.
Old May 16th 2019, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

campo life? When I lived with my parents we have survived on less than 800€ a month.. over 10 years that would be 96,000 euros. If it could of been more it would of been nice, we hardly ever went out to eat, and counting pennies around Lidl is not fun.
Old May 16th 2019, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Debs276
Hi Benaganim is in the Albaida Valley Valencia
Thanks for encouraging advice.
Not important to us to make a profit if we sell in years to come , we just want to enjoy life for a good few years, not working live off some good savings , that’s another dilemma ‘ how much’ to live a simple life for 10 years .
Profit isn't the problem but some properties just don't sell at all. What made you pick Benaganim?
Old May 16th 2019, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Too true
Thankyou
Do you mean Camposol by Campo life?
I have also read other things stating campo?
Old May 16th 2019, 10:54 am
Just Joined

We looked at Benaganim as there is an ideal property that would suit us .

Any tips or honest thoughts ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.