Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Move to Spain 2016????

Move to Spain 2016????

Old Nov 5th 2015, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Ecco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Move to Spain 2016????

I'm in the process of doing something similar for another family member. As it's got to ground-hog day point where nothing has changed for 3 years and isn't ever likely too. So I'm thinking that a complete change of weather and scenery might help
So from a purely psychological viewpoint I would say "just go for it"!!! You know your own situation better than anyone - is it likely to change? If not then yeah, try something different and see.

As others have said. Rent a place for a year and see. Then you haven't made a permanent commitment - hopefully you can come and go as you please and can always return back to the rainy isle permanently. That's my plan.I've been over here in the sun for a couple of weeks looking at flats to rent. Life is short, better to just do things and see rather than talk about them. Whatever you do. Good luck!

Ps - I called my mum and she said it was chucking it down all day back home - mild but wet. I was working up a sweat in 23c sunshine - and this is autumn
Old Nov 5th 2015, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

St George 1974 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ecco
I'm in the process of doing something similar for another family member. As it's got to ground-hog day point where nothing has changed for 3 years and isn't ever likely too. So I'm thinking that a complete change of weather and scenery might help
So from a purely psychological viewpoint I would say "just go for it"!!! You know your own situation better than anyone - is it likely to change? If not then yeah, try something different and see.

As others have said. Rent a place for a year and see. Then you haven't made a permanent commitment - hopefully you can come and go as you please and can always return back to the rainy isle permanently. That's my plan.I've been over here in the sun for a couple of weeks looking at flats to rent. Life is short, better to just do things and see rather than talk about them. Whatever you do. Good luck!

Ps - I called my mum and she said it was chucking it down all day back home - mild but wet. I was working up a sweat in 23c sunshine - and this is autumn
And your mum has got it very right!! We had a few friends around for a nice meal followed by a few boxes of Tesco's finest fireworks, and it was a total washout!!! The rain was hard and relentless!! Not to mention that the only firework display our kids had their focus on were 3 doors down who obviously spent a hell of a lot of money just to out do the "joneses!!"

We will be renting for a year possibly starting in March/April if all goes according to plan. We like the idea that has been mentioned of renting for a few months at a time in different areas as to get a good feel of what different places have to offer.

As crazy as it sounds we would actually save money by renting for one year in Spain and that's with no income at all!! The only sacrifice we will be making is our rented property, but, should we return we know we would have no problems finding another rented property in an area of our choice.

We have the same attitude as you as in the "you only live once" comment. It's better to die knowing you tried as to die not knowing at all.

Thankyou for your comment :-) and we wish you all the luck in the world with your new venture in Spain!! Feel free to keep us updated.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

You children will love Spain for this aspect. it seems that they need no excuse at all to let off fireworks even during the day!
Old Nov 6th 2015, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

Ecco is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by St George 1974
We had a few friends around for a nice meal followed by a few boxes of Tesco's finest fireworks, and it was a total washout!!! The rain was hard and relentless!! Not to mention that the only firework display our kids had their focus on were 3 doors down who obviously spent a hell of a lot of money just to out do the "joneses!!"
Wow! I completely forgot it was "Guy Fawkes Night" .

When you're abroad it's kind of like your home Country doesn't exist unless you want it to (i.e. - you call home or go looking for news etc. on the internet).

I was watching some Spanish TV programmes. I didn't understand too much but "aguila roja" looked interesting.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

This seems to sum it up:
Águila Roja, la primera serie que lanza en paralelo una versión cómic en Instagram
Old Nov 6th 2015, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rspltd
You children will love Spain for this aspect. it seems that they need no excuse at all to let off fireworks even during the day!
Ha ha!! My partner said the same thing when I asked if they celebrate anything similar to our Guy Fawkes Night. Her words were "the Spanish don't need an excuse to let off fireworks, they happen every other bloody night!!"
Old Nov 6th 2015, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ecco
Wow! I completely forgot it was "Guy Fawkes Night" .

When you're abroad it's kind of like your home Country doesn't exist unless you want it to (i.e. - you call home or go looking for news etc. on the internet).

I was watching some Spanish TV programmes. I didn't understand too much but "aguila roja" looked interesting.
Yep, I had the pleasure of being chief firework lighter last night practically watching a couple of hundred quid go up in smoke for the amusement of 2 children who wasn't even watching our cheap "flash in the pan" fireworks as next doors were much better!!!

We have mud trodden through the house dragged in on people's boots as it had been raining all day (as it is today) which turned my garden into a mud bath!!
I have woken today with a cold and chesty cough! The smell of wet mud still lingers through my house with a hint of smouldering fires wafting in from outside although my partner has been scrubbing all morning! It's cold and horrible outside, everything seems grey! Even my Labrador looks depressed!!
Think about us why your enjoying the sunshine over there :-)

Im doing my research on different areas as we speak.

Thanks
Old Nov 6th 2015, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

I'm not a great television fan, but I'm sure my missus will no doubt become hooked and tell me all about it!! 😞
Old Nov 6th 2015, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Keith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St George 1974
I was actually thinking exactly the same thing as I have done my homework on the area of interest including checking out the property market and it definitely is a buyers market right now, but although i will listen and take on board everyone's opinion it doesn't specifically mean I agree :-)
The only thing holding us back is the high unemployment statistics as this is our major concern, but this doesn't specifically mean that I will not find work. We plan to do exactly as you have advised, rent for 12 months as to "test the waters" and see where fate takes us.

We don't really have a great deal to lose as we live in rented accommodation now which although us cheap, it's no where near as cheap as the equivalent in Spain!!

Thankyou for your advice, I think we will be going for it!!
I was pretty surprised by the post regards property too, however that person could have their own story and many references for saying that. This is why making this step is so personal, there is negativity, and its best to judge your position based on the negatives than the sunny, seaside positives.

Ok, your ideal scenario is 2k sterling plus a month ( average 2,500 euros although it's more at the moment ) and a fully paid up villa with a pool and all mod cons. TV, Internet, SKY, UK phone, medical insurance, dental plan, good security and a well kept pool. All achievable in Spain for 400 euros a month for two, add your electric 65 euros ( water if you pay ) gas ( bottled ) and ancillary taxes 50-100 euros a month and all in you could have it all paid up for about 700 euros a month. This is an ideal scenario, all creature comforts and of course good gym membership and a healthy diet and exercise will mean you will live longer

You then need to factor in your food bill average is 60 euros a week for us, vehicle ( buy Spanish, insure Spanish and tax ) maybe 40 euros a month, but buy your car, factor that in. You will need to get to work if that's what you need to do.

We are at 980 euros now ...... ish, and yes, people will have their own lifestyle and affordability. I can only tell you mine.

For us, and its personal to us we need 1,000 euros to cover all the basics for living as described. Don't forget a contingency fund of 200 euros for house repairs, car repairs etc We are on 1,200 euros now.

Then there is fuel, for us 50 euros.

It's only then we can look at going out, lunches, dinners days out etc.
We put aside 400 euros a month for this and under the current exchange rate are on 1,650 euros on average for a comfortable life in Spain. We will put aside the rest of our income as savings. This is with our villa paid for, and a carefully planned move.

And yes, people will argue with my numbers, but they are my numbers, I hope it helps
Old Nov 6th 2015, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Keith1963
I was pretty surprised by the post regards property too, however that person could have their own story and many references for saying that. This is why making this step is so personal, there is negativity, and its best to judge your position based on the negatives than the sunny, seaside positives.

Ok, your ideal scenario is 2k sterling plus a month ( average 2,500 euros although it's more at the moment ) and a fully paid up villa with a pool and all mod cons. TV, Internet, SKY, UK phone, medical insurance, dental plan, good security and a well kept pool. All achievable in Spain for 400 euros a month for two, add your electric 65 euros ( water if you pay ) gas ( bottled ) and ancillary taxes 50-100 euros a month and all in you could have it all paid up for about 700 euros a month. This is an ideal scenario, all creature comforts and of course good gym membership and a healthy diet and exercise will mean you will live longer

You then need to factor in your food bill average is 60 euros a week for us, vehicle ( buy Spanish, insure Spanish and tax ) maybe 40 euros a month, but buy your car, factor that in. You will need to get to work if that's what you need to do.

We are at 980 euros now ...... ish, and yes, people will have their own lifestyle and affordability. I can only tell you mine.

For us, and its personal to us we need 1,000 euros to cover all the basics for living as described. Don't forget a contingency fund of 200 euros for house repairs, car repairs etc We are on 1,200 euros now.

Then there is fuel, for us 50 euros.

It's only then we can look at going out, lunches, dinners days out etc.
We put aside 400 euros a month for this and under the current exchange rate are on 1,650 euros on average for a comfortable life in Spain. We will put aside the rest of our income as savings. This is with our villa paid for, and a carefully planned move.

And yes, people will argue with my numbers, but they are my numbers, I hope it helps
That is very helpful indeed, thankyou.

It's very close to my estimates through research so it's good to see I'm doing a good job!!

I didn't think of a Gym so that's definitely valuable information!!

Can I ask what area you live?
Old Nov 6th 2015, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

Keith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond repute

Cadiz :-)
Old Nov 6th 2015, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Keith1963
Cadiz :-)
Ah, looks like a lovely area. We're looking around the Alicante area ourselves but obviously employment prospects will dominate our decision which is exactly what I'm researching right now, but unfortunately I only have the Internet for information hence why I'm here on the forum. Best to hear things straight from the horses mouth's no matter how brutal before making such a big move!
Old Nov 6th 2015, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

We still hop back and forth at the moment, unemployment here seems to be fairly high, crime seems lower than the UK, I have been offered a few jobs but I'm not that bothered. Retirement means retirement - well, for now !

The area over the past 18 months does seem to be getting more prosperous, other more informed locals will help with that. Transport links in Chiclana are going to be superb, fast train to Seville etc already. It all good. There isnt better area to live for me, but we did our research, it took a few years ! But it's sort of paid off. You can't have too much information.

Take your time, make YOUR best choices after much thought and you will be prosperous I'm sure. but before you do take a few days to drive the coast from Gib to Cadiz, honest, you could be swayed.
Old Nov 7th 2015, 2:05 am
Just Joined

jenny02 is an unknown quantity at this point

Spain or the UK, do you really want a fresh start following behind the foot steps of your wife an ex broken relationship, why not another area of Spain. I fear you make too many remarks on the great past, and that is what it is, then not now. Sorry if i seem hard, but honest. I wish you the best, i was having the same debate.
Old Nov 7th 2015, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jenny02
Spain or the UK, do you really want a fresh start following behind the foot steps of your wife an ex broken relationship, why not another area of Spain. I fear you make too many remarks on the great past, and that is what it is, then not now. Sorry if i seem hard, but honest. I wish you the best, i was having the same debate.
Hey, honesty is normally harsh and I absolutely respect you for that so it's really all good :-)

My only response is I am a 41 year old man with a very hard and hectic past who has learned many lessons from making very bad decisions. I have honestly thought very long and very hard about this for a very long time. I really wouldn't spend the money it will cost and drag my beautiful little 8 year old daughter and wife-to-be to a strange land to make a new life purely on the strength of a few "memories".
And as to show I respect your honesty I shall do so in return by giving you a little piece of information...

The reason the Spain move failed in the end for my partner and her ex husband was because it's very hard to make a successful life anywhere in the world when the man who supposedly loves you is beating ten bells of shit out of you at every opportunity in front of your 2 small children whilst at the same time disappearing back to the UK for weeks at a time for no reason and not even attempting to contact his then pregnant wife or kids to see if they are ok!!

You see, the difference is I WONT do that :-)

Circumstances play a big part in why one person does something that someone else may seem is a little extreme :-)

I appreciate your concerns though, thankyou.

Last edited by St George 1974; Nov 7th 2015 at 3:35 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.