Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Move to Spain 2016????

Move to Spain 2016????

Old Nov 9th 2015, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Curlygirly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Move to Spain 2016????

Hi Wayne I sent you a private message, not sure if you saw it. Only saying because I had a message and didn't see it until I went to send one to you..
Old Nov 9th 2015, 12:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St George 1974
Your not making this any easier for me! Especially with the quotes!! 🙂 Our decision has mainly been made with our daughters well being as our main motivation and we just can't gamble with that. As mentioned in one of my last posts we still plan on staying in our area of interest as much as we possibly can over the next few years so we're definitely not giving up, more of "testing the waters" I think. Seeing if we like Spain and if Spain likes us. This idea is definitely not "dead & buried" and certainly will be continued! Thankyou for your comment.
I think it's a wise decision and it's always easy for people to say go for it, if they have nothing to lose. You're still young and being in the UK will give you more time to build up credit + Spain will still be there in the next few years for early retirement. Being in the UK, you are only around the corner from Spain and can go on great holidays. Just treat yourself and book a nice 4 or 5 star hotel the next time you go. I also wouldn't be worried about property prices increasing too much, unless you really want a villa with sea view. If you want to buy now and really see a bargain you can afford, why not. Even a piece of land might be interesting for you.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

St George 1974 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Curlygirly
Hi Wayne I sent you a private message, not sure if you saw it. Only saying because I had a message and didn't see it until I went to send one to you..
Replied 🙂
Old Nov 9th 2015, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I think it's a wise decision and it's always easy for people to say go for it, if they have nothing to lose. You're still young and being in the UK will give you more time to build up credit + Spain will still be there in the next few years for early retirement. Being in the UK, you are only around the corner from Spain and can go on great holidays. Just treat yourself and book a nice 4 or 5 star hotel the next time you go. I also wouldn't be worried about property prices increasing too much, unless you really want a villa with sea view. If you want to buy now and really see a bargain you can afford, why not. Even a piece of land might be interesting for you.
Thankyou for the "your still young" comment! Made my day!
Old Nov 9th 2015, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Curlygirly is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi wayne hope that last P/message has helped in some way?
Old Nov 9th 2015, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Ecco is an unknown quantity at this point

Your not making this any easier for me! Especially with the quotes!! � ����

Our decision has mainly been made with our daughters well being as our main motivation and we just can't gamble with that.
As mentioned in one of my last posts we still plan on staying in our area of interest as much as we possibly can over the next few years so we're definitely not giving up, more of "testing the waters" I think. Seeing if we like Spain and if Spain likes us.

This idea is definitely not "dead & buried" and certainly will be continued!

Thankyou for your comment.
I don't mean to join the 'go for it camp'............well actually I do

But anyway..........obviously you're right to consider your daughter and you must know her better than anyone.
But still, they do say that any "change" is easier to do at a younger age. At junior school age they can make and break friends like the weather changes in the UK. By the time she gets to 11 she'll be (most probably) going to a new senior school and will get settled there (possibly even with an entirely new group of friends). She'll hit the moody teens (I'm not leaving NEVER NEVER EVER!) - important exam courses will start (GCSE's). Then maybe A-levels or college........then???.....

The point I'm trying to make is that it would certainly be more of an upheaval to try and move your daughter the older and more settled she gets. So conceivably you would have to wait until she became an adult (18 at the very least).

That's a whole DECADE!

2026!! - They'll probably be flying cars by then....

Ps - I've just got back to England. I'd forgotten how dark and dreary it is here - and that was at 2pm. As soon as I stepped off the plane I felt like I'd got instant arthritis.........

Last edited by Ecco; Nov 9th 2015 at 8:53 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 8:56 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ecco
As soon as I stepped off the plane I felt like I'd got instant arthritis.........
Is that a new disease? <ROFL>
Old Nov 10th 2015, 6:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ecco
I don't mean to join the 'go for it camp'............well actually I do But anyway..........obviously you're right to consider your daughter and you must know her better than anyone.But still, they do say that any "change" is easier to do at a younger age. At junior school age they can make and break friends like the weather changes in the UK. By the time she gets to 11 she'll be (most probably) going to a new senior school and will get settled there (possibly even with an entirely new group of friends). She'll hit the moody teens (I'm not leaving NEVER NEVER EVER!) - important exam courses will start (GCSE's). Then maybe A-levels or college........then???..... The point I'm trying to make is that it would certainly be more of an upheaval to try and move your daughter the older and more settled she gets. So conceivably you would have to wait until she became an adult (18 at the very least). That's a whole DECADE! 2026!! - They'll probably be flying cars by then.... Ps - I've just got back to England. I'd forgotten how dark and dreary it is here - and that was at 2pm. As soon as I stepped off the plane I felt like I'd got instant arthritis.........
Thinking positive, a decade in the UK will probably give them €100K more in savings and they could retire early. If they move to Spain now, they will probably have to work until they're 80 LOL. Dark & dreary in November????? Even if the sun is shining 24/7, what's the point if you have to work until 7 pm and have no money.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 8:33 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking positive, a decade in the UK will probably give them €100K more in savings and they could retire early..
The OP is currently unemployed, how is he going to save £10K per year?
Old Nov 10th 2015, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by missile
The OP is currently unemployed, how is he going to save £10K per year?
Well hopefully the OP won't be unemployed for the next 10 years and the chances of finding a better paid job are higher in the UK. If they are planning to buy and retire in Spain, they could start saving now. €10K is currently just above £7K, so not that unrealistic with a job.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Well hopefully the OP won't be unemployed for the next 10 years and the chances of finding a better paid job are higher in the UK. If they are planning to buy and retire in Spain, they could start saving now. €10K is currently just above £7K, so not that unrealistic with a job.
But maybe he wants to pay more for food and is also hoping Jamie Oliver's sugar tax gets implement, and both of those will limit the amount he can save.

While you solve that one in your typically simplistic way, could you take a quick look at world hunger and a cure for cancer before bedtime tonight?

Last edited by Horlics; Nov 10th 2015 at 9:28 am.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 9:35 am
Started off with nothing

With no disrespect intended to OP, it is very ambitious to expect him to save £7,000 per year from his employment?
Old Nov 10th 2015, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Horlics
But maybe he wants to pay more for food and is also hoping Jamie Oliver's sugar tax gets implement, and both of those will limit the amount he can save. While you solve that one in your typically simplistic way, could you take a quick look at world hunger and a cure for cancer before bedtime tonight?
Eat less sugar and if he can pay more for food, good for him. Maybe he saved on car insurance LOL. They also have a bigger sum of money coming up, so that won't be the problem.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

wilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou for your time replying.

To be more precise I am looking at properties in Bigastro as that is where my wife lived with her ex between 2001 - 2008.

She always speaks highly about living there and about how happy she was at living the Spanish lifestyle. They were only forced to return to the UK due to their marriage breakdown.

I've always considered "taking her back" to her dream life as it also appeals to me and I know should it work out we would be very happy as we have absolutely nothing to stay here for.

As for my illness, I'm suffering from severe depression since being made redundant so I also feel that a big change would be very good for me.

As for finding work I have budgeted for us to live there for a year renting (including healthcare) just to see if both me and my wife could find work. She pretty much has a job as soon as we are there through a Spanish friends who own a popular restaurant. I would hunt high and low in that year to find some sort of work.

My wife is certain that I would take to living there well, she has concerns about employment but she also knows that I am a fighter and once I snap out of this hole I'm in I am a very determined man who doesn't give up too easily.

Do you think moving nearer the coast would be a better idea?
Yes you should definately be near the coast (although its getting expensive now) its not very Spanish but its warm and dry all year round. I have a house in Cabo see you next year.....
Old Nov 10th 2015, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by missile
With no disrespect intended to OP, it is very ambitious to expect him to save £7,000 per year from his employment?
At the moment that is incredibly ambitious to nigh on galacticly impossible!!
But I'm sure when I'm ready I will find something as I always do ;-) and I shall begin the task of replacing the savings I once had. Spain is now our retirement destination so we're just going to have to be patient, crack on with life and do things the sensible way :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.