Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Move to Spain 2016????

Move to Spain 2016????

Old Nov 5th 2015, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to Spain 2016????

Originally Posted by St George 1974
Hi

This is very sound advice, thankyou. We have actually been looking into investing a portion of our money into a very secure investment that won't make us filthy rich but would give us a regular monthly income to live on. If we did manage to get the "top end" of the expected amount that would be fantastic as we would be in a perfect position to invest, buy a property in Spain outright and have a regular income of around €31000 per year to live on but we're trying to base things on the worse case scenario and not to focus on pipe dreams lol
240k euros wont get you a property in Spain and a regular income of 31k euros per year

Even at 5%, 240k euros is only 12k per year and that doesnt take into account inflation. And even 5% is hard to come back. I know of no secure investment yielding more than 4% currently

You need at least 1 million euros in the bank to yield 31k euros per year after tax. If you want to account for inflation too then you need at least 2 million euros
Old Nov 5th 2015, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

A total break from the fast paced hustle & bustle of our daily lives only to maintain a mundane existence for potentially a more slower paced, relaxed and scenic lifestyle.
A Spanish lifestyle is not slower or simpler than a UK lifestyle. That is absolute nonsense

If someone goes to live in a remote village then of course their lifestyle will be slower and more relaxed because there are few jobs and little to do all day, but that goes for any country

Spanish people work longer hours and sleep less than any other nationality in Europe. If anything, a Spanish lifestyle is more hectic and stressful than a British lifestyle. Especially if you compare jobs and benefits
Old Nov 5th 2015, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

St George 1974 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cricketman
240k euros wont get you a property in Spain and a regular income of 31k euros per year

Even at 5%, 240k euros is only 12k per year and that doesnt take into account inflation. And even 5% is hard to come back. I know of no secure investment yielding more than 4% currently

You need at least 1 million euros in the bank to yield 31k euros per year after tax. If you want to account for inflation too then you need at least 2 million euros
Thankyou for that information, noted and much appreciated :-)

Now, back to the topic up for discussion...
Old Nov 5th 2015, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

Your postings have varied with the use of partner and then wife. There is a big difference in Spain with a number of additional hoops to jump through if there is no marital relationship.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

A Spanish lifestyle is not slower or simpler than a UK lifestyle. That is absolute nonsense

If someone goes to live in a remote village then of course their lifestyle will be slower and more relaxed because there are few jobs and little to do all day, but that goes for any country

Spanish people work longer hours and sleep less than any other nationality in Europe. If anything, a Spanish lifestyle is more hectic and stressful than a British lifestyle. Especially if you compare jobs and benefits
Thanks for your feedback, this is exactly why I've posted here, to hear the hard cold facts!

Thankyou
Old Nov 5th 2015, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rspltd
Your postings have varied with the use of partner and then wife. There is a big difference in Spain with a number of additional hoops to jump through if there is no marital relationship.
Partner now, wife in January, sorry I didn't mention that. We will be married when we intend to go (March/April next year) but that's just to stay there for 4 weeks as to look at properties.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

A Spanish lifestyle is not slower or simpler than a UK lifestyle. That is absolute nonsense If someone goes to live in a remote village then of course their lifestyle will be slower and more relaxed because there are few jobs and little to do all day, but that goes for any country Spanish people work longer hours and sleep less than any other nationality in Europe. If anything, a Spanish lifestyle is more hectic and stressful than a British lifestyle. Especially if you compare jobs and benefits
Very true. People coming from a busy city in the UK who end up in a Spanish village and realise they like country living, will probably always boast how relaxing it is (especially when they are retired). We live in a quiet part of Ireland and it's a slower pace of life compared to Dublin, but many people like the buzz of the city and we're all different. In general life is the same and you either drive to work, use public transport, walk or cycle, depending where you live and where your work is.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Very true. People coming from a busy city in the UK who end up in a Spanish village and realise they like country living, will probably always boast how relaxing it is (especially when they are retired). We live in a quiet part of Ireland and it's a slower pace of life compared to Dublin, but many people like the buzz of the city and we're all different. In general life is the same and you either drive to work, use public transport, walk or cycle, depending where you live and where your work is.
Trust me I detest the "buzz" of working and living in a busy city environment. I've lived and worked in London and it was probably the most stressful time of my life! When I moved here to Colchester 2 years ago we done so as we see it as a move nearer the country and although it is quieter in the area we live Colchester as a whole is still jam packed full of fresh stress!!

We're evaluating wether to risk a move to Spain and these comments really do help. I must admit though that the lack of positivity in the comments so far has startled me as I didn't expect so much negativity from people's experiences as my "wife-to-be" has a totally different opinion but as she has admitted she's just one person out of loads of ex-expats!!
Old Nov 5th 2015, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree somewhat about not buying property (above) - prices are low, probably as low as they will ever be, it's a buyer's market. If you are determined to make the life change then having the security of a home when circumstances get rocky will be invaluable. However, you should not burn your bridges at the start. I am a great believer in try-before-you-buy. Rent for twelve months to check out the area, see if the lifestyle will suit you as well as your partner /wife, look for your lifetime home and check out the employment posibilities for your self. As many have said, the job landscape is horrendous at the moment but there are jobs and there are lucky people - sounds like it's about your turn!
Go for it and good luck.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MikeJ
I disagree somewhat about not buying property (above) - prices are low, probably as low as they will ever be, it's a buyer's market. If you are determined to make the life change then having the security of a home when circumstances get rocky will be invaluable. However, you should not burn your bridges at the start. I am a great believer in try-before-you-buy. Rent for twelve months to check out the area, see if the lifestyle will suit you as well as your partner /wife, look for your lifetime home and check out the employment posibilities for your self. As many have said, the job landscape is horrendous at the moment but there are jobs and there are lucky people - sounds like it's about your turn!
Go for it and good luck.
I was actually thinking exactly the same thing as I have done my homework on the area of interest including checking out the property market and it definitely is a buyers market right now, but although i will listen and take on board everyone's opinion it doesn't specifically mean I agree :-)
The only thing holding us back is the high unemployment statistics as this is our major concern, but this doesn't specifically mean that I will not find work. We plan to do exactly as you have advised, rent for 12 months as to "test the waters" and see where fate takes us.

We don't really have a great deal to lose as we live in rented accommodation now which although us cheap, it's no where near as cheap as the equivalent in Spain!!

Thankyou for your advice, I think we will be going for it!!
Old Nov 5th 2015, 2:08 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou for your time replying. To be more precise I am looking at properties in Bigastro as that is where my wife lived with her ex between 2001 - 2008. She always speaks highly about living there and about how happy she was at living the Spanish lifestyle. They were only forced to return to the UK due to their marriage breakdown. I've always considered "taking her back" to her dream life as it also appeals to me and I know should it work out we would be very happy as we have absolutely nothing to stay here for. As for my illness, I'm suffering from severe depression since being made redundant so I also feel that a big change would be very good for me. As for finding work I have budgeted for us to live there for a year renting (including healthcare) just to see if both me and my wife could find work. She pretty much has a job as soon as we are there through a Spanish friends who own a popular restaurant. I would hunt high and low in that year to find some sort of work. My wife is certain that I would take to living there well, she has concerns about employment but she also knows that I am a fighter and once I snap out of this hole I'm in I am a very determined man who doesn't give up too easily. Do you think moving nearer the coast would be a better idea?
I know Bigastro well, but your wife will know it far better. Quite a nice little town. Not a lot to do there and you would need a car. There are several other towns I would choose. However what suits me, may not suit you and yours. Are you sure YOU want to live in the town where your wife and her ex lived?I can sympathise with your mental health problem. I would suggest a move to Spain could be good for you, it was for me :-)If I may suggest "snap out of depression" is not the way it works. It can be a long journey and you may benefit from professional help. Make yourself a plan and set your self realistic goals.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I was actually thinking exactly the same thing as I have done my homework on the area of interest including checking out the property market and it definitely is a buyers market right now, but although i will listen and take on board everyone's opinion it doesn't specifically mean I agree :-) The only thing holding us back is the high unemployment statistics as this is our major concern, but this doesn't specifically mean that I will not find work. We plan to do exactly as you have advised, rent for 12 months as to "test the waters" and see where fate takes us. We don't really have a great deal to lose as we live in rented accommodation now which although us cheap, it's no where near as cheap as the equivalent in Spain!! Thankyou for your advice, I think we will be going for it!!
I agree with MikeJ that it's certainly not a wrong time to buy if everything is right. I think the big issue here is that you are moving to an area with high unemployment and low wages. I know many people don't want to hear it, but many couples in their end 30's & 40's fail because they are blinded by the sun and in this the case memories they have. When you're 20 without children and something goes wrong, it's easy to start again. Your partner might have memories, but there's no point of moving to an area where you have no job prospects. If it has to be Spain, why not consider other areas?
Old Nov 5th 2015, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by missile
I know Bigastro well, but your wife will know it far better. Quite a nice little town. Not a lot to do there and you would need a car. There are several other towns I would choose. However what suits me, may not suit you and yours. Are you sure YOU want to live in the town where your wife and her ex lived?I can sympathise with your mental health problem. I would suggest a move to Spain could be good for you, it was for me :-)If I may suggest "snap out of depression" is not the way it works. It can be a long journey and you may benefit from professional help. Make yourself a plan and set your self realistic goals.
I have thought long and hard about this myself regarding moving to an area she lived with her ex husband. The strange thing about our situation is I get on very well with her ex and there are absolutely no hard feelings between us so I have not a single trust issue. I mean my 8 year old "step" daughter calls both of us Dad which we are both good with!! It's a unique situation! He has been giving me advice regarding a move to the area too!

I've just read your message to my partner and she agrees fully with you regarding your comment about other towns besides Bigastro which is why we plan to stay in the area for 4 weeks in January as to look around different towns. We would appreciate your suggestions :-)

As for my mental health problems, I have been suffering from depression for almost a year now, during this time I have been dealing with it and speaking with proffesionals who agree that a "significant move" might be best. You have actually quoted them almost word for word about planning and making goals for myself!! I feel that I am slowly crawling out and am well and truly on the road to recovery. I honestly think that a complete change will help as it would give me something to focus on as well as a challenge!
Old Nov 5th 2015, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I agree with MikeJ that it's certainly not a wrong time to buy if everything is right. I think the big issue here is that you are moving to an area with high unemployment and low wages. I know many people don't want to hear it, but many couples in their end 30's & 40's fail because they are blinded by the sun and in this the case memories they have. When you're 20 without children and something goes wrong, it's easy to start again. Your partner might have memories, but there's no point of moving to an area where you have no job prospects. If it has to be Spain, why not consider other areas?
Very fair comment, thankyou.

What area would you suggest?
Old Nov 5th 2015, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute

Property prices are not going to jump in the short term. The prices have begun to increase @ about 2% in the past year in areas which are desirable. Less desirable properties are still decreasing in value.

So, if you are buying (remember somebody rightly pointed out earlier that it is a buyer's market in Spain) take your time. Rent for several weeks in as many areas as you can for no less than 6 weeks at a time in the off season. Believe me, you will soon discover if Spain is for you. But, don't expect too much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.