Mosquitos!!

Old Nov 27th 2011, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mosquitos!!

Originally Posted by fionamw
Oh well each to their own.... but I'm taking a wild guess that
(a) you have a modern house with possibly uPVC but certainly standard largish windows?
No, it's a quite an old house with small windows.
(b) your windows open outwards?
No, two open inwards but the rest slide sideways.

(c) you actually clean the outside of your windows?
Of course...doesn't eveyone?

I've done some considerable googling and can't see anything to tempt me - your observation about very fine mesh notwithstanding - and I don't have any problems on those rare occasions when I recall the possibility the light's been affected by dirt outside rather than mossie net, in accessing our inward-opening windows -because the net's outside of them!!!
But you can't just roll the screen up out of the way!

Last edited by megmet; Nov 27th 2011 at 10:57 am.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marqueemoon
A mosquito net is a good idea that I have suggested to her but how would the cat and dog get on the bed?
You and your partner sleep with a cat and a dog on your bed and you worry about mosquitos...............

Where's the vomit smiley ???
Old Nov 27th 2011, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

sassrafrass is an unknown quantity at this point

Are mosquitos a problem every where in Spain ? and how many months of the year are they around for ?

I have a very bad reaction to their bites here in Canada and was hoping that when we move to Spain (Moraira or Javea) that it might not be so much of a problem for me there, but it doesn't sound too good..........

Thanks......
Old Nov 27th 2011, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassrafrass
Are mosquitos a problem every where in Spain ? and how many months of the year are they around for ?

I have a very bad reaction to their bites here in Canada and was hoping that when we move to Spain (Moraira or Javea) that it might not be so much of a problem for me there, but it doesn't sound too good..........

Thanks......
To speak for everywhere in Spain would be a bit ridiculous, but certainly in the mountains behind Malaga, at over 2000 feet, in summer my OH finds them a pain in the proverbials and I am aware they're around (midges too, which are more of an issue for me) and in this autumn/winter's unseasonably mild conditions there are still some around. Of course if there's water (which is true of anywhere with an irrigation system, or a rainwater collection) you have their favourite breeding grounds.
I'd guess - nothing more - that yes, there are few places in Spain not affected to some extent by mossies.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 5:08 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks......
sorry to tell you we get mozzies in Javea - pretty much all year, although less so in the winter

this time of year it seems to get a bit chilly outside for them & they hide indoors
Old Nov 27th 2011, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
sorry to tell you we get mozzies in Javea - pretty much all year, although less so in the winter

this time of year it seems to get a bit chilly outside for them & they hide indoors
I'd forgotten/overlooked that bit
Old Nov 27th 2011, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks......
I live in Velez-Malaga (the largest town in the Axarquia region of Malaga province) and I can honestly say that we have very few problems with mosquitos here. I have no screens on my windows at all, they are left open all night in summer and this year, I got bitten a few times when the weather first got hotter (early June if I remember rightly) but not thereafter. I used an aerosol insecticide spray for a couple of nights, but that was all. And I am the kind of person that mossies and midges always seem to like to feast off, and sometimes get an allergic reaction to their bites.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 2:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I live in Velez-Malaga (the largest town in the Axarquia region of Malaga province) and I can honestly say that we have very few problems with mosquitos here. I have no screens on my windows at all, they are left open all night in summer and this year, I got bitten a few times when the weather first got hotter (early June if I remember rightly) but not thereafter. I used an aerosol insecticide spray for a couple of nights, but that was all. And I am the kind of person that mossies and midges always seem to like to feast off, and sometimes get an allergic reaction to their bites.
Well I can only say you must have a lucky hat over your house
Old Nov 28th 2011, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

I must say it's been much the same for me, only a few occasions that I've been bitten by the mossies in the hot part of summer, mostly when I've sat out at night on the terrace.

Like you I've a problem with the midges, as we have olive groves on two sides of our house we get a great number as the sun goes down!
I do react quite badly to their bites but my worst reaction is to spider bites, and we get a lot of those too including last year a black widow (a one off) which I very quickly dispatched.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
Well I can only say you must have a lucky hat over your house
Dunno, maybe it's something to do with the lack of vegetation around, living in the middle of the town. Swings and roundabouts, you get the fresh air and peace and quiet in the campo, you have to take the mossies along with them!
Old Nov 28th 2011, 6:37 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno, maybe it's something to do with the lack of vegetation around, living in the middle of the town. Swings and roundabouts, you get the fresh air and peace and quiet in the campo, you have to take the mossies along with them!
They're obviously quite intelligent critters to avoid the unhealthy smoke and pollution of town life, in favour of fresh country air and a varied tasty daily menu.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

sonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Mosquitos!!

Originally Posted by marqueemoon
They are really getting on my nerves!

There shouldn't be so many around at this time of year but down here in Nerja, or specifically in my apartment, they are causing havoc. I've not had a good night's sleep for days and its not because they are biting me. My girlfriend attracts them like bees round honey and she insists on waking me up to tell me every time she is bitten and recruits me to find and destroy the enemy!

Anyway I am not after sympathy, just a guaranteed way to either eliminate the mosquitos or to prevent them from biting my other half. She has tried everything she can think of without success and its driving me crazy! Obviously its worse for her!

Any suggestions really welcome
Many years ago there was a study made of this very problem and It was found the people with the highest sex drive were bitten the most, you told us about the down side NOW TELL US ABOUT THE OTHER.also is she waking you up for you to do the scratching ????
Old Dec 1st 2011, 4:19 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonnyc
Many years ago there was a study made of this very problem and It was found the people with the highest sex drive were bitten the most, you told us about the down side NOW TELL US ABOUT THE OTHER.also is she waking you up for you to do the scratching ????
So in view of the fact that women are by far the ones who complain most about mossie bites, we can assume that they have a much higher sex drive than their male counterparts.

Somehow I think there are a lot of very frustrated hubbies around who may not quite agree with that.

On the other hand maybe all the badly bitten women are nymphos.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 7:45 am
Banned

Perthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to all

jesus what town do you live in? every time I stay or go into the town I get bit to death
Old Dec 1st 2011, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Perthbum
jesus what town do you live in? every time I stay or go into the town I get bit to death
It must be fleas then.....
No such thing as mosquitoes in Birmingham in the winter months!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.