Mosquitos!!

Old Nov 26th 2011, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

marqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to all
Default Mosquitos!!

They are really getting on my nerves!

There shouldn't be so many around at this time of year but down here in Nerja, or specifically in my apartment, they are causing havoc. I've not had a good night's sleep for days and its not because they are biting me. My girlfriend attracts them like bees round honey and she insists on waking me up to tell me every time she is bitten and recruits me to find and destroy the enemy!

Anyway I am not after sympathy, just a guaranteed way to either eliminate the mosquitos or to prevent them from biting my other half. She has tried everything she can think of without success and its driving me crazy! Obviously its worse for her!

Any suggestions really welcome
Old Nov 26th 2011, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

neilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really nice
Default Re: Mosquitos!!

Avon Skin so Soft is good ........... good for skin, no smell and keeps mosquitos away.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

marqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to all

Thanks for that tip. Unfortunately although she has a bottle next to her bed it doesn't work for her. I assume she is appplying it and not just using the bottle to scare them away!
Old Nov 26th 2011, 9:29 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Rub her over liberally with garlic salt/powder before going to bed.

There are garlic based creams and sprays but not quite so effective.

http://garlic-central.com/mosquito.html

Just to be sure give her half a tub of alioli just before bedtime.

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Nov 26th 2011 at 9:32 am.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Fantastic idea! She will never have been better smelling even if it doesn't stop the mosquitos!
Old Nov 26th 2011, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilwturner
Avon Skin so Soft is good ........... good for skin, no smell and keeps mosquitos away.
Works for me, plus lemon shower gel. Never found any here in Spain but you can get it from Morrisons or M&S if anyone is coming over. Also obviously a plug in.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 10:20 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marqueemoon
They are really getting on my nerves!

There shouldn't be so many around at this time of year but down here in Nerja, or specifically in my apartment, they are causing havoc. I've not had a good night's sleep for days and its not because they are biting me. My girlfriend attracts them like bees round honey and she insists on waking me up to tell me every time she is bitten and recruits me to find and destroy the enemy!

Anyway I am not after sympathy, just a guaranteed way to either eliminate the mosquitos or to prevent them from biting my other half. She has tried everything she can think of without success and its driving me crazy! Obviously its worse for her!

Any suggestions really welcome

Can you believe with the ridiculously warm autumn here in London we actually killed on in the kitchen last week. It had a couple of victims though before it went to the big mozzie heaven.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 10:33 am
Spanish, 40

evamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Can you believe with the ridiculously warm autumn here in London we actually killed on in the kitchen last week. It had a couple of victims though before it went to the big mozzie heaven.
Naaaaaaah... there are NO mosquitoes in England! Full stop... according to my British husband after more than 10 years trying to tell him -with proofs- that I was bitten by mosquitoes. I don't know what he calls them, but he still swears that there are no mosquitoes here. With the global warming we'll soon have malaria but, of course, no mosquitoes!!!
Old Nov 26th 2011, 10:36 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

I'm someone who seems to attract mosquitoes too - I tried Avon Skin So Soft on the recommendation of friends (bought 3 bottles of the bluddy stuff) but it doesn't work for me either. I have to use Jungle Formula, Autan or Repel 100 (deet) which you can buy off t'internet...expensive but worth it. Plus a good old mosquito net at night!
Old Nov 26th 2011, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

I'll tell her about the Autan etc - or maybe buy her some for Xmas!! A mosquito net is a good idea that I have suggested to her but how would the cat and dog get on the bed?

Maybe a hat like a beekeeper wears might work so long as the rest of her is undercover?
Old Nov 26th 2011, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evamar
Naaaaaaah... there are NO mosquitoes in England! Full stop... according to my British husband after more than 10 years trying to tell him -with proofs- that I was bitten by mosquitoes. I don't know what he calls them, but he still swears that there are no mosquitoes here. With the global warming we'll soon have malaria but, of course, no mosquitoes!!!
I'm with you girl, they find me anywhere Spain or the UK. Oddly enough this has been the first summer I have not been bitten in the UK
Old Nov 26th 2011, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

I'll tell her about the Autan etc - or maybe buy her some for Xmas!! A mosquito net is a good idea that I have suggested to her but how would the cat and dog get on the bed?

Maybe a hat like a beekeeper wears might work so long as the rest of her is undercover?
Have you got window screens?
Old Nov 26th 2011, 11:24 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

A beekeepers hat wouldn't work as the net would likely be resting on the skin when lying in bed.

The various sprays and lotions are only effective for a limited time, most of them for less than half an hour outdoors and Deet slightly longer, though lying in bed they may do better as long as there isn't too much perspiration on the skin.

I believe I've seen mossies in London before, but never yet at my place up in the N.E.

Having said that they have spread quite nicely without global warming, one of the very worst places being way up in the Arctic Circle in mid-Summer, where there are huge clouds of them.
I know ppl.up in C. Sweden who are literally prisoners in their own houses during the peak mid-Summer period.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

No window screens - good idea but our windows are old fashioned wooden things and in the bedroom they are full length doors. I suppose I could get a roll of screen and cut it to fit. Will look into that.

I have been out and bought a plug in Bloom mosquito killer. Not tried this version before so maybe it will work.

Thanks for the suggestions
Old Nov 26th 2011, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

No window screens - good idea but our windows are old fashioned wooden things and in the bedroom they are full length doors. I suppose I could get a roll of screen and cut it to fit. Will look into that.

I have been out and bought a plug in Bloom mosquito killer. Not tried this version before so maybe it will work.

Thanks for the suggestions
If you've no screens, well............. and it's eminently possible to fit them to old windows. Good tip a mate once told me, when I was muttering and puttering about the frames not being square, not knowing how to do it without recourse to six arms, etc., was to use narrow double-sided tape rather than glue, staples, et al.

fwiw, my OH attracts every flying beastie, only about 1% show any interest in me! We swear by incense, citronella candles and citronella oil. That's when sitting out, of course - there being none indoors 'cos of the screens

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.