Mosquitos!!

Old Nov 26th 2011, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mosquitos!!

We have the roller blind type of screens on all the windows which makes it much easier when cleaning the windows, we also fitted the screening to the metal gates in front of our doors.

We have the plug-in's in every room all year round....we never get mosquitoes in the house, when outside we burn citronella candles to keep the little beasties away.

We used to get mosquitoes back in Lancashire, though my husband doesn't believe it either.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

Mosquito nets on all windows, citronella candles and cover youself with eu de cologne after washing, very inexpensive in local supermarkets....sleep under a mosquito net or spray the room with mosquito killer then close the door half an hour before sleeping, anything you can do to prevent getting bitten has to be better than the irritation and inconvenience of the bites....
Old Nov 26th 2011, 5:02 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by casa del sol
Mosquito nets on all windows, citronella candles and cover youself with eu de cologne after washing, very inexpensive in local supermarkets....sleep under a mosquito net or spray the room with mosquito killer then close the door half an hour before sleeping, anything you can do to prevent getting bitten has to be better than the irritation and inconvenience of the bites....
Doesn't sound like a very healthy option to me.
The air quality in such a room could do more damage to the O.P.than to the mossies.

There is one very useful and simple way of dealing with them that avoids chemicals,nets,screens and various other treatments and inconveniences.

Leave a small light on in the bathroom preferably over the washbasin and leave the basin half full of water.
Leave the bedroom and bathroom doors open.
The mossies will not only be attracted to the bathroom but will sit happily on the mirror above the basin until such time as you next go in, whether it be through the night or next morning, making it a very simple job to zap them and wash them away down the tubes to mossie heaven.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Fracman has a spectacular aura aboutFracman has a spectacular aura aboutFracman has a spectacular aura about

Talking about insects bites etc, did you read this tragic story in the Mail the other day, the poor lady http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ing-Spain.html
Old Nov 26th 2011, 5:53 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fracman
Talking about insects bites etc, did you read this tragic story in the Mail the other day, the poor lady http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ing-Spain.html
Crikey, I think we're all well aware of the high level of risk to dogs, but it's the first time I've heard of a person dying with it, here in Spain at least.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 8:19 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Crikey, I think we're all well aware of the high level of risk to dogs, but it's the first time I've heard of a person dying with it, here in Spain at least.
That's why the new rules for vets are so severe.

If a dog has the disease it MUST be treated otherwise it will be destroyed.

The problem is that the sand fly picks up the disease from an infected dog and then passes it on - usually to other dogs but sometimes to humans.

In this particular case the woman was on imumo-suppressant drugs which made it very difficult for her to fight the disease.

Ben Fogle, the TV presenter was nearly killed by it recently from a bite he picked up in Peru.

It's mainly a canine disease but humans should not ignore it.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

sensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud of

another prob with mozzy bites is the fake tans that some women wear,my mates sister came over a few years back and was bitten to death,after the first night she went to hospital and im not joking looked like a mummy with bandages all over her body,her husband was also bitten but only in the places their bodies had touched during the night,good job they didnt have any nookie i spose for him anyway
Old Nov 27th 2011, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

marqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to all

Thanks again for all the suggestions and I can happily report that the Bloom anti-mosquito plug in worked My girlfriend was not bitten once so that was €6 well spent! Hopefully it wasn't a one off.

I will definitely be looking at ways to keep them out too
Old Nov 27th 2011, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marqueemoon
Thanks again for all the suggestions and I can happily report that the Bloom anti-mosquito plug in worked My girlfriend was not bitten once so that was €6 well spent! Hopefully it wasn't a one off.

I will definitely be looking at ways to keep them out too
I can recommend the roller blind type of mosquito screens, they look much better than the home made kind, are less obtrusive and let in the light.

In the winter months they roll up out of the way, though we keep ours down all year to keep out flies and moths!
Old Nov 27th 2011, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
I can recommend the roller blind type of mosquito screens, they look much better than the home made kind, are less obtrusive and let in the light.

In the winter months they roll up out of the way, though we keep ours down all year to keep out flies and moths!
I know I'm probably being blonde/senior/thick or all three, but how can a roller blind be less obtrusive than something which merely attaches by tape (or staples, or glue or magnetic strip, or whatever) to the frame hence takes up no 'light space' whatever? I'm going off to google!
Old Nov 27th 2011, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fionamw
I know I'm probably being blonde/senior/thick or all three, but how can a roller blind be less obtrusive than something which merely attaches by tape (or staples, or glue or magnetic strip, or whatever) to the frame hence takes up no 'light space' whatever? I'm going off to google!
They fit neatly into the window space, there is no unsightly tape staples magnets or any other such thing to look messy!
They are made of finer mesh than we have ever seen anywhere on sale, so therefore they let in more light.
When you want to clean the outside of your windows they roll up neatly out of the way, no having to dismantle your "home made" version.
Believe me I do know the benefits... having tried both types of screens!

Hope that "enlightens" you.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 6:35 pm
On the road again.

Only problem I find with mossie screens is air flow.
When the weather is hottest, there is generally very little if any breeze and so trying to cool the house down through the night with screens in place is nigh hand impossible.
No problem for those who don't mind the cost of running aircon though I suppose.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
They fit neatly into the window space, there is no unsightly tape staples magnets or any other such thing to look messy!
They are made of finer mesh than we have ever seen anywhere on sale, so therefore they let in more light.
When you want to clean the outside of your windows they roll up neatly out of the way, no having to dismantle your "home made" version.
Believe me I do know the benefits... having tried both types of screens!

Hope that "enlightens" you.
Oh well each to their own.... but I'm taking a wild guess that (a) you have a modern house with possibly uPVC but certainly standard largish windows? (b) your windows open outwards? (c) you actually clean the outside of your windows?

I've done some considerable googling and can't see anything to tempt me - your observation about very fine mesh notwithstanding - and I don't have any problems on those rare occasions when I recall the possibility the light's been affected by dirt outside rather than mossie net, in accessing our inward-opening windows -because the net's outside of them!!!
Old Nov 27th 2011, 8:08 pm
Banned

Perthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to all

This works honestly, if you have a blow up doll rub yourself all over the doll then put it into the corner of the room where the mozzies come in, they will be attracted to the smell before they smell you and will not bother you, you will have to repair the doll in the morning as it will be deflated...worked for me
Old Nov 27th 2011, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Perthbum
This works honestly, if you have a blow up doll rub yourself all over the doll then put it into the corner of the room where the mozzies come in, they will be attracted to the smell before they smell you and will not bother you, you will have to repair the doll in the morning as it will be deflated...worked for me
Why am I not surprised that YOU have a blow up doll.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.