Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

More Leaving Than Arriving?

More Leaving Than Arriving?

Old Jun 25th 2008, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

toyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud of
Default Re: More Leaving Than Arriving?

Money DOES buy health. Poor people have on balance worse health, and a shorter lifespan. Money buys you access to the best doctors and the best treatment, and it does so very quickly.
I couldn’t agree more. If you read Roy Chubby Brown’s biography you’ll find he attributes his throat cancer survival purely to being able to throw money at the problem.

In my view, failing to integrate, and failing to learn the language = introverted attitude = the world owes me a living. That doesn’t work whatever country you live in.

Crikey, are they really going to tax bodies? I’ll probably get a rebate…
Old Jun 26th 2008, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

amberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really nice

I think people go home because of work. We bought into a dodgy franchise here in Spain. I am sure if we had done more research we could have avoided this but it took a chunk out of our savings and we are now having to go out on our own and find work which is really hard, we really don't want to go back but reality is if we cannot find work we will have to. Our lives here are not enriched with money but our family life certainly is enriched, at the weekend we get time to go to the beach, at 10pm we can go for a family swim with the kids, go to the park and not have to wait for the rain to stop, my 4 year old was very moody and grumpy back in England and he is like a new child, extremely happy in school he has a wonderful time with teacher's that enjoy their job, to hear him out playing gabbling on in spanish is wonderful, we put him in the valenciano class but at least he is only 1 of 3 English children in the class the total class is only 15, our 3 year old starts in September and she will be the only English child in her class. I have found the Spanish health system to be very good and we are the happest we have been for a long time.

We will not go home without a fight and have money for another year to make it work.

We don't want the earth, we would like to be rich but then who doesn't, we just want enough money to survive and be left with memories that will be with us forever.

Here's hoping for a successful year.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 9:33 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

How many times a year can you go for a family swim ay 10pm and aren't the kids a bit tired when they have to get up for school!
Old Jun 26th 2008, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

amberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really nice

[QUOTE=jackytoo;6507588]How many times a year can you go for a family swim ay 10pm and aren't the kids a bit tired when they have to get up for school![/QUOTE

Kid's have finished school for the summer, and go to sleep later due to the heat and yes it is only in the heat of the summer when we can swim late but it is more than we would have done in the UK.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 9:41 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Just compare the number of times a year that you can sit outside and eat a meal.

Spain wins hands down.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 10:02 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amberandjason
I think people go home because of work. We bought into a dodgy franchise here in Spain. I am sure if we had done more research we could have avoided this but it took a chunk out of our savings and we are now having to go out on our own and find work which is really hard, we really don't want to go back but reality is if we cannot find work we will have to. Our lives here are not enriched with money but our family life certainly is enriched, at the weekend we get time to go to the beach, at 10pm we can go for a family swim with the kids, go to the park and not have to wait for the rain to stop, my 4 year old was very moody and grumpy back in England and he is like a new child, extremely happy in school he has a wonderful time with teacher's that enjoy their job, to hear him out playing gabbling on in spanish is wonderful, we put him in the valenciano class but at least he is only 1 of 3 English children in the class the total class is only 15, our 3 year old starts in September and she will be the only English child in her class. I have found the Spanish health system to be very good and we are the happest we have been for a long time.

We will not go home without a fight and have money for another year to make it work.

We don't want the earth, we would like to be rich but then who doesn't, we just want enough money to survive and be left with memories that will be with us forever.

Here's hoping for a successful year.
Good luck to you and your family. You have the right attitude to succeed anywhere.

Rosemary
Old Jun 26th 2008, 10:07 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Just compare the number of times a year that you can sit outside and eat a meal.

Spain wins hands down.
We have just returned from a little holiday in Girona and only ate indoors once and that was not due to the weather but due to how popular the restaurant was in Sant Feliu.

Rosemary
Old Jun 27th 2008, 5:21 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

A number of press articles this morning 27.7.08 Paint the usual gloom.

The brochures were too good to be true. Buyers gazed in wonder at those shimmering golf courses - yet to be built; the beautiful beaches - only a short two hour drive away; the lively restaurants and bars - now abandoned; and those glorious villas - mostly unsold.

Thousands of British ex-pats, wanting to live the dream of eating a full English on their own patio gazing out over the Mediterranean, are facing up to a Spanish property nightmare. Prices have slumped by up to 65 per cent in the last year according to some websites, as the market is struck by a country-wide collapse in house values and massive over development on the Costa Del Sol. In the most acute cases, Brits who have bought off plan are now stuck with apartments in uncompleted developments they don’t want but can’t sell.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

derek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by poshnbucks
Prices have slumped by up to 65 per cent in the last year
There must be thousands queueing up to come here and snap up a bargain then?
Old Jun 27th 2008, 10:04 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by derek500
There must be thousands queueing up to come here and snap up a bargain then?
Not really, cos they can`t sell in the UK. ;-))
Old Jun 28th 2008, 9:47 am
pjj
sun lover

pjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Im not sure I'd agree Bil.
Without going too far into the story, I used to own a shipping company, and I did very well out of it. But to do that I worked all hours God sent, and although I was very well off I had no time to spend to myself apart from the once a year two week holiday, and I spent years afterwards battling with minor stress related illnesses.

So to get that money in this day and age you have to work so bloody hard ... and that in itself can make you ill. Money isn't everything.
you sound a bit like myself mitzyboy , i work roughly 60 to 70 hours a week im in motor trade sales side i earn good money but i have no time to my self or anyone else around me. i i have suffered with high blood pressure and stress and its no good for you and im only 32years of age so god knows what my health would be like if i was 50 years of age and doinging the same. but ive realized if i didnt work the the hours i have i wouldnt have my property in spain and wouldnt be able to make the move abroad ive got just 7 months left in the uk till we make the move its been a very hard long journey to get here but we can see a dream becoming a reality spain is where we want to be
Old Jun 28th 2008, 9:53 am
Just Joined

wiseman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pjj
you sound a bit like myself mitzyboy , i work roughly 60 to 70 hours a week im in motor trade sales side i earn good money but i have no time to my self or anyone else around me. i i have suffered with high blood pressure and stress and its no good for you and im only 32years of age so god knows what my health would be like if i was 50 years of age and doinging the same. but ive realized if i didnt work the the hours i have i wouldnt have my property in spain and wouldnt be able to make the move abroad ive got just 7 months left in the uk till we make the move its been a very hard long journey to get here but we can see a dream becoming a reality spain is where we want to be
all the best pjj on your new life in spain totally agree with your comments what are you going to be doing out in spain?
Old Jun 28th 2008, 11:27 am
pjj
sun lover

pjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wiseman
all the best pjj on your new life in spain totally agree with your comments what are you going to be doing out in spain?
truefully we dont know im very open minded im going to take a year off but maybe do something part time in between just so my brain dont go too mushy . a very good friend of ours owns a busy restaurant and said he would give me some work if i want it , i know quite few people in the area so i will see what comes up
Old Jun 28th 2008, 11:59 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pjj
Well mate, I hate to tell you this but you dont feel the main effects of stress when you are having the stressfull period. I had got out of the freight industry by 4 years before it caught up with me and my old business partner is feeling the same also.

I know its over stated, but stress is a more serious illness than people think
Old Jun 28th 2008, 12:31 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Stress is a killer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.