Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

More Leaving Than Arriving?

More Leaving Than Arriving?

Old Jun 21st 2008, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default More Leaving Than Arriving?

Ive lived in Spain for nearly four years and from what Ive seen in the last six months Ive noticed there seems to be more foreigners leaving than arriving, guess its down to the lack of employment/state of the world wide economy,Anyone else seeing this?

Rgds Rotor
Old Jun 21st 2008, 9:48 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More Leaving Than Arriving?

Maybe its the whinging moaning feckers that are already there that is making people think twice?
Old Jun 21st 2008, 9:58 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
Ive lived in Spain for nearly four years and from what Ive seen in the last six months Ive noticed there seems to be more foreigners leaving than arriving, guess its down to the lack of employment/state of the world wide economy,Anyone else seeing this?

Rgds Rotor
The people leaving are, I think, those that arrived seeing things through rose coloured glasses, or who have no job, and expect to get one knowing no Spanish at all. We have relatives coming out at the end of July, so we will see how it goes for them, they are retired, so no jobs problems, they know NO SPANISH at all.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The people leaving are, I think, those that arrived seeing things through rose coloured glasses, or who have no job, and expect to get one knowing no Spanish at all. We have relatives coming out at the end of July, so we will see how it goes for them, they are retired, so no jobs problems, they know NO SPANISH at all.
Not learning Spanish is ususally the big issue, you may get away with it if your retired/pensioned living in an ex pat resort like Marbella but if you need an income its virtually impossible to get regular work without speaking Spanish (its bloody difficult if you do!!)

Rgds

Rotor
Old Jun 21st 2008, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

stephendutchman is on a distinguished road

were just embarking on are spanish adventure ,have a place in daya nueva ,have begun spanish lessons here in uk ,wife retires in 3 years max ,we,ll be in are early 50,s so i need to keep working just for the social side of life ,reading some of the e mails ,i get a picture of some people expecting to walk into a job straight away.i think where ever you live in the world you have to blend in with the local community .good luck to everyone embarking on thir place in the sun .viva espania tommorrow in the footy .

ps . its pissing down in manchester at present .mid june .mind you ive never seen it piss up .happy days !!!!
Old Jun 21st 2008, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

george43 will become famous soon enough

I would think this is mainly due to work problems and it will of course affect all foreigners in Spain. I cannot really think that any Brits would want to return to the UK unless it was for lack of work in Spain. Obviously there will be a few who fail to settle or have family problems but for life style Spain wins hands down IMO.
We have just spent another 2 weeks over there in an apartment and tried to live as we would if we were residents.We did our shopping at the local shops and cooked some of our meals instead of eating out every night. Our limited ( but improving) Spanish got us by and we felt really comfortable with the life style. We are both retired though and although our pensions are not great they should cover our monthly costs comfortably. We are certainly looking forward to moving to Spain.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 12:12 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Rotor
Not learning Spanish is ususally the big issue, you may get away with it if your retired/pensioned living in an ex pat resort like Marbella but if you need an income its virtually impossible to get regular work without speaking Spanish (its bloody difficult if you do!!)

Rgds

Rotor

I found that going onto E-Bay and buying all the episodes of GIVE US A CLUE worked wonders for my interaction with my Catalan shop and Restaurant keepers
I always draw quiet a crowd as I wave and gesture to the assistant or waiter as I put in my order. I never have any problem and always get what I want, I notice they seem to understand the order right away but let me go on for about 20 minutes just to make sure. They may extract the urine a little behind my back but afterwards as I draw away from the venue in my DB9 I give a little smile back as they become little spots in my rear view mirror and for a moment think hmmmmm I owe a lot to that Lionel Blair.

Last edited by poshnbucks; May 30th 2009 at 5:40 am.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

LOL ,VERY CLEVER AMIGO
Old Jun 21st 2008, 1:30 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poshnbucks
I found that going onto E-Bay and buying all the episodes of GIVE US A CLUE worked wonders for my interaction with my Catalan shop and Restaurant keepers
I always draw quiet a crowd as I wave and gesture to the assistant or waiter as I put in my order. I never have any problem and always get what I want, I notice they seem to understand the order right away but let me go on for about 20 minutes just to make sure. They may extract the urine a little behind my back but afterwards as I draw away from the venue in my DB9 I give a little smile back as they become little spots in my rear view mirror and for a moment think hmmmmm I owe a lot to that Lionel Blair.
They probably extract a little urine into your dinner too. ;-))
Old Jun 21st 2008, 1:43 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if those that can't be bothered to integrate are starting to go home, it's no great loss IMO.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 2:54 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Well, if those that can't be bothered to integrate are starting to go home, it's no great loss IMO.
Very true - we as a nation are quick to complain about everyone here who doesnt try to intergrate.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 3:35 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes. We don't like it when Muslims, for an example come here and are determined not to integrate, and then we think we can go to Spain and not bother to even learn the language.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

STAYED IN ROTA NEAR CADIZ ,LAST AUGUST .VERY SPANISH ,HAD TO MAKE A GOOD EFFORT TO COMMUNICATE .GOOD EXPERIANCE ,AND NICE PEOPLE .COULD NEVER GET THE WINE ORDER CORRECT AT THE BAR .ALWAYS ENDED UP WITH SHERRY .GREAT LOCAL SEA FOOD AT TAPAS BAR .NEAR TAXI RANK IN SQUARE
Old Jun 21st 2008, 4:07 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Steve, sorry to ask but could you please stop writing in block caps. Internet etiquette says you should not do that, as it is considered shouting.

http://www.patsabin.com/etiquette.htm
Old Jun 21st 2008, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

noted amigo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.