British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   More Leaving Than Arriving? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/more-leaving-than-arriving-544296/)

Rotor Jun 21st 2008 9:23 am

More Leaving Than Arriving?

Ive lived in Spain for nearly four years and from what Ive seen in the last six months Ive noticed there seems to be more foreigners leaving than arriving, guess its down to the lack of employment/state of the world wide economy,Anyone else seeing this?

Rgds Rotor

rugbymatt Jun 21st 2008 9:48 am

Re: More Leaving Than Arriving?

Maybe its the whinging moaning feckers that are already there that is making people think twice?

mikelincs Jun 21st 2008 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Rotor (Post 6488690)
Ive lived in Spain for nearly four years and from what Ive seen in the last six months Ive noticed there seems to be more foreigners leaving than arriving, guess its down to the lack of employment/state of the world wide economy,Anyone else seeing this?

Rgds Rotor

The people leaving are, I think, those that arrived seeing things through rose coloured glasses, or who have no job, and expect to get one knowing no Spanish at all. We have relatives coming out at the end of July, so we will see how it goes for them, they are retired, so no jobs problems, they know NO SPANISH at all.

Rotor Jun 21st 2008 10:08 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 6488738)
The people leaving are, I think, those that arrived seeing things through rose coloured glasses, or who have no job, and expect to get one knowing no Spanish at all. We have relatives coming out at the end of July, so we will see how it goes for them, they are retired, so no jobs problems, they know NO SPANISH at all.

Not learning Spanish is ususally the big issue, you may get away with it if your retired/pensioned living in an ex pat resort like Marbella but if you need an income its virtually impossible to get regular work without speaking Spanish (its bloody difficult if you do!!)

Rgds

Rotor

stephendutchman Jun 21st 2008 11:27 am

were just embarking on are spanish adventure ,have a place in daya nueva ,have begun spanish lessons here in uk ,wife retires in 3 years max ,we,ll be in are early 50,s so i need to keep working just for the social side of life ,reading some of the e mails ,i get a picture of some people expecting to walk into a job straight away.i think where ever you live in the world you have to blend in with the local community .good luck to everyone embarking on thir place in the sun .viva espania tommorrow in the footy .

ps . its pissing down in manchester at present .mid june .mind you ive never seen it piss up .happy days !!!!

george43 Jun 21st 2008 11:40 am

I would think this is mainly due to work problems and it will of course affect all foreigners in Spain. I cannot really think that any Brits would want to return to the UK unless it was for lack of work in Spain. Obviously there will be a few who fail to settle or have family problems but for life style Spain wins hands down IMO.
We have just spent another 2 weeks over there in an apartment and tried to live as we would if we were residents.We did our shopping at the local shops and cooked some of our meals instead of eating out every night. Our limited ( but improving) Spanish got us by and we felt really comfortable with the life style. We are both retired though and although our pensions are not great they should cover our monthly costs comfortably. We are certainly looking forward to moving to Spain.

poshnbucks Jun 21st 2008 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Rotor (Post 6488749)
Not learning Spanish is ususally the big issue, you may get away with it if your retired/pensioned living in an ex pat resort like Marbella but if you need an income its virtually impossible to get regular work without speaking Spanish (its bloody difficult if you do!!)

Rgds

Rotor

I found that going onto E-Bay and buying all the episodes of GIVE US A CLUE worked wonders for my interaction with my Catalan shop and Restaurant keepers
I always draw quiet a crowd as I wave and gesture to the assistant or waiter as I put in my order. I never have any problem and always get what I want, I notice they seem to understand the order right away but let me go on for about 20 minutes just to make sure. They may extract the urine a little behind my back but afterwards as I draw away from the venue in my DB9 I give a little smile back as they become little spots in my rear view mirror and for a moment think hmmmmm I owe a lot to that Lionel Blair. :o

stephendutchman Jun 21st 2008 12:16 pm

LOL ,VERY CLEVER AMIGO

jdr Jun 21st 2008 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by poshnbucks (Post 6488976)
I found that going onto E-Bay and buying all the episodes of GIVE US A CLUE worked wonders for my interaction with my Catalan shop and Restaurant keepers
I always draw quiet a crowd as I wave and gesture to the assistant or waiter as I put in my order. I never have any problem and always get what I want, I notice they seem to understand the order right away but let me go on for about 20 minutes just to make sure. They may extract the urine a little behind my back but afterwards as I draw away from the venue in my DB9 I give a little smile back as they become little spots in my rear view mirror and for a moment think hmmmmm I owe a lot to that Lionel Blair. :o

They probably extract a little urine into your dinner too. ;-))

bil Jun 21st 2008 1:43 pm

Well, if those that can't be bothered to integrate are starting to go home, it's no great loss IMO.

Sam Greenfield Jun 21st 2008 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 6489131)
Well, if those that can't be bothered to integrate are starting to go home, it's no great loss IMO.

Very true - we as a nation are quick to complain about everyone here who doesnt try to intergrate.

bil Jun 21st 2008 3:35 pm

Oh yes. We don't like it when Muslims, for an example come here and are determined not to integrate, and then we think we can go to Spain and not bother to even learn the language.

stephendutchman Jun 21st 2008 3:50 pm

STAYED IN ROTA NEAR CADIZ ,LAST AUGUST .VERY SPANISH ,HAD TO MAKE A GOOD EFFORT TO COMMUNICATE .GOOD EXPERIANCE ,AND NICE PEOPLE .COULD NEVER GET THE WINE ORDER CORRECT AT THE BAR .ALWAYS ENDED UP WITH SHERRY .GREAT LOCAL SEA FOOD AT TAPAS BAR .NEAR TAXI RANK IN SQUARE

Casa Santo Estevo Jun 21st 2008 4:07 pm

Steve, sorry to ask but could you please stop writing in block caps. Internet etiquette says you should not do that, as it is considered shouting.

http://www.patsabin.com/etiquette.htm

stephendutchman Jun 21st 2008 4:09 pm

noted amigo