Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The meaning of the word Guiri

The meaning of the word Guiri

Old Jul 10th 2009, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Hondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The meaning of the word Guiri

Originally Posted by hitchw
In my experience, and in the experience of family and friends, Guiri although in some cases is used in a joking manner, is an insult. Similar to black kids calling each other the n word (one of the ugliest words in existence) is used as a term of familiarity, but if used by another race is deemed an insult of an epic scale. I would never be happy to be called a guiri, i dont think it is remotely funny, and will always see it as an insult.
I was under the impression that chulo was meant as cheeky as in, que no seas chulo... sure that doesnt mean, dont be a pimp...!

Chaval, never imagined this could be used as an insult, always thought of this as lad or chap or something like that...
I agree, my 12 year old daughter has often been called a guiri by the spanish children and told to go back to where she has come from, which can be upsetting for her.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 7:20 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relampago
Depending on the context of the situation, meanings of " chulo "...

1) Something attractiveness, beautiful, superb, with charisma

2) Boastful

3) The man that " protects " and live of the prostitutes
That is a pimp. That definection makes it sound like Robin Hood and Maid Marion.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 8:10 am
Banned

Tele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
When a person who came to a village and spoke something different to Castellano
Not according to my dictionary (Spanish Royal Academy). It says "name given during 19th century civil war by the Carlistas to the Partidarios of the Christian Kingdom, and later to all Liberals and Government Soldiers".

Also an "Individual of the Guardia Civil".
Old Jul 10th 2009, 8:23 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tele Addict
Not according to my dictionary (Spanish Royal Academy). It says "name given during 19th century civil war by the Carlistas to the Partidarios of the Christian Kingdom, and later to all Liberals and Government Soldiers".

so is that respect or an insult

Old Jul 10th 2009, 8:51 am
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

But the reason the existing word of 'guiri' came to get its tourist meaning stems from Guirigay, gibberish - someone unable to speak Spanish were deemed to speaking guirigay, so they used guiri to refer to someone who was speaking guirigay.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 8:55 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

The spanish think it's an insult. When a neighbors kid used it infront of me he got a clip round the ear!
Old Jul 10th 2009, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

In the end - it's the kids (who can be the cruelest of all) who use it against the foreign kids.
As far as translations go - they can never be exact as society is different here, with different shades of meaning. The equivalent of our strongest word of all, the 'C word', is used here by all and sundry - little old ladies included - and has no negative impact. Odd, perhaps, but there you go.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 9:20 am
Banned

Tele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Lenox
little old ladies included - and has no negative impact.
That's barely a swear word. In English it only has one meaning; in Spanish it is idiomatic. I would say "el conejo" is much ruder in that respect.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Spain has some wonderful swear words and expressions. My favourite it "Me cago en la leche" (I think spelt like that) but you can replace leche with "la madre, tu madre, la puta... etc

Generally said when things go wrong.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

That's barely a swear word. In English it only has one meaning; in Spanish it is idiomatic. I would say "el conejo" is much ruder in that respect.
agreed. You cant translate swear words. They come with lots of social context baggage!
Old Jul 10th 2009, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

littlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud of

cricketman:
Yes, that's one of my favorites. Never a culture to shy away from things scatological. In Catalunya, even those little scenarios depicting the crib scene with the birth of Christ, have a little man having a crap somewhere.
For me, nothing beats, "Me cargo en Dios" and "Me cago en tus muertos".
Old Jul 10th 2009, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlelambfound
cricketman:
Yes, that's one of my favorites. Never a culture to shy away from things scatological. In Catalunya, even those little scenarios depicting the crib scene with the birth of Christ, have a little man having a crap somewhere.
For me, nothing beats, "Me cargo en Dios" and "Me cago en tus muertos".

Thought I'd heard it wasn't just Catalunya?
Old Jul 10th 2009, 11:18 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
Thought I'd heard it wasn't just Catalunya?
it's here too

It was explained to me as representing the life cycle

you live , you eat, you poo, it goes into the ground to help things grow for you to eat

they could have been lying to protect my 'british sensitivity' though
Old Jul 10th 2009, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lynnxa
it's here too

It was explained to me as representing the life cycle

you live , you eat, you poo, it goes into the ground to help things grow for you to eat

they could have been lying to protect my 'british sensitivity' though

www.caganer.com they make a good present for the person who thinks they have everything
Old Jul 10th 2009, 12:14 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by whitelinen
www.caganer.com they make a good present for the person who thinks they have everything
I brought home a 'mannequin de pis' from Brussels as a gift for my parents from a school trip (appealed to my 12 year old sense of humour)

it got hidden right at the back of a display cabinet where it couldn't be seen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.