Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

This makes grim reading

This makes grim reading

Old Aug 27th 2020, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This makes grim reading

Originally Posted by inbarcelona
The UK treats its workers far better than the Spanish do.. I agree that things like zero hours contracts are wrong but workers have far more rights in the UK than they do in Spain.
Look at the minimum wage in Spain...it is given as a monthly amount....no mention about the number of hours you have to work......could be 70 hours a week....giving you 3 or 4 euros an hour.
The Spanish ignore their labour laws....certainly in small companies anyway. In fact, they ignore most laws.
Spain treated workers bad long before the EU. At the end of the day a lot of standards improved but each country has to figure it out. You mention Ryanair: Well thanks to EU regulations how many people are actually able to claim back money if they mess up? In one way people complain about low wages but those complaining still wouldn't be willing to pay more for a flight, even after a pay rise . We still all have choices.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 4:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Spain was a fascist dictatorship ! Have we forgotten that ? State structures are still in the hands of Francoists !
Old Aug 27th 2020, 4:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I think that's very true.
But, I also think that this was maybe another aspect of the UK never fully embracing EU thinking, there was always an us and them thing getting in the way. It obeyed rules as you would obey rules imposed on you by an outside authority that you don't have a close relationship with and there is no give and take. You bite your lip and do what you're told and the resentment builds up inside. Other countries seem to feel they can take liberties and they will be forgiven, like you do with friends and relations when you don't feel you always have to be on your best behaviour. Sometimes they go too far and get sanctioned of course. But the UK seems to have a problem, and not only with the EU, with being assertive in a positive way. Either it's too passive and it does what it's told but with no enthusiasm which kind of reduces the positivity, or it kicks back too aggressively which leads to squabbles. Or maybe I'm talking rubbish.
I think that's very fair analysis.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

SteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond repute

Because there are not many of my fellow citizens left in most big cities in the UK
Could you name us just one? I've done a search and can't find one.

Bradford has 63.9% of its population defining themselves as white British for example. Manchester 67% white, Birmingham 70%, Bolton 80%, Sheffield 84%, Liverpool 91%, Newcastle 82%.

Please give us your list or stop putting racist nonsense like this on the forum. Thanks
Old Aug 27th 2020, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

inbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond repute

Birmingham 70% white? Don´t make me laugh.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

SteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond repute

Leicester....London....(most Boroughs)
So Bradford has 36% who are not white British then...
Birmingham 70% white? Don´t make me laugh.
You originally said there weren't many of your countrymen left in the big cities. I just showed you that you're talking nonsense. And as for Birmingham, here's my link to some actual evidence. https://worldpopulationreview.com/wo...ham-population

Extract: "Birmingham is even more ethnically diversethan London, the country's capital city. The 2001 census confirmed that 70.4% of the people of Birmingham were white, 19.5% were Asian, 6.1% were Black, 0.5 were Chinese, 2.5% were mixed race, and 0.6 were of another ethnic group." Now that is a fact. When you say the word FACT, you mean your "opinion". You can't even speak English properly if you don't know the difference between the two words.

How about trying to prove me wrong with some actual data rather than spewing out your nonsense. Perhaps start with that list of big cities that you mentioned that didn't have many of your fellow citizens left. " Because there are not many of my fellow citizens left in most big cities in the UK". No evidence, just a small mind. If you can give us evidence, I'll apologise. Finally, if you can't see what you said is racist, then I feel sorry for you.

Last edited by Rosemary; Aug 28th 2020 at 7:24 am. Reason: removed part of quote
Old Aug 27th 2020, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

The UK treats its workers far better than the Spanish do.. I agree that things like zero hours contracts are wrong but workers have far more rights in the UK than they do in Spain.
Look at the minimum wage in Spain...it is given as a monthly amount....no mention about the number of hours you have to work......could be 70 hours a week....giving you 3 or 4 euros an hour.
The Spanish ignore their labour laws....certainly in small companies anyway. In fact, they ignore most laws.
You have obviously never worked in a Spanish company. Getting rid of any employee is a complex process. Often ends in a court which invariably finds in favor of the employee representing a cost to the company until recently 45 days gross salary for every year worked.. Gets to be very expensive if you are trying to restructure an old workforce
Old Aug 28th 2020, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

inbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond repute

If I am a Racist then fine...I am quite happy with that.
Old Aug 28th 2020, 6:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SteveDW
Bradford has 63.9% of its population defining themselves as white British for example.
What is white British?

Gibraltar has a very diverse population, some of whom have taken up British citizenship, they are white in appearence but are not originally from the UK
Old Aug 28th 2020, 7:21 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

If I am a Racist then fine...I am quite happy with that.
Please read Rule 2. We will not tolerate posts that are racist or allow hate messages.

Rosemary
Old Aug 28th 2020, 7:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat077 is an unknown quantity at this point

They need us more than we need them.
Old Aug 28th 2020, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Exactly.
Old Aug 28th 2020, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Please read Rule 2. We will not tolerate posts that are racist or allow hate messages.

Rosemary
Rosemary, Where have I posted anything that is racist or a hate message. I´m giving my opinion that´s all. Or am I not allowed to have an opinion.?
Old Aug 28th 2020, 10:00 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Rosemary, Where have I posted anything that is racist or a hate message. I´m giving my opinion that´s all. Or am I not allowed to have an opinion.?
I was simply reminding you to tread carefully on this forum.

Rosemary
Old Aug 28th 2020, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

From the 2011 census...

Brent 36.3% white
Ealing 49% white
Harrow 42.2% white
Newham 29% white
Redbridge 42.5% white
Tower Hamlets 45.2% white

Gettting close.....
Barking and Dagenham 58.3%
Croydon 55.1%
Hackney 54.7%Hounslow 51.4%
Lambeth 57.1%
Lewisham 53.5%
Southwark 54.3%
Waltham Forest 52.2%

Will be interesting what the results of next years census will be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.