Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Licence of first occupation

Licence of first occupation

Old Mar 15th 2007, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Licence of first occupation

I completed on a new build apartment without the LFO, on the advice of my solicitor who assured me it was only a formality.

In theory it was. However, by the time the town hall came to inspect, some of the neighbours had installed winter gardens (glazed in the terraces) which contravened the planning regs. This delayed the issue of the LFO by two and a half years. It didn't make any difference to us as, although the supply was a little sporadic, we were not living there full time.

If there are delays and your supplies are cut, life could be very unpleasant. Difficult one I know.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 5:25 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SmartiesUK
Argggg now this I dont need. I cannot stay here not working I cant afford to. I need to get to Spain where its cheap Really, dont pay any money, even the 20% deposit? surely I have to pay that?

You will have to pay your next deposit as you have agreed that in your contract - otherwise you will be in breach of contract. The final payment is the one we needn't pay until the licence has been granted. That is being paid by mortgage.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 5:27 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Argggg now this I dont need. I cannot stay here not working I cant afford to. I need to get to Spain where its cheap Really, dont pay any money, even the 20% deposit? surely I have to pay that?
Smarties, what stage is the property at? When is completion due (I mean physical completion, not rubber stamps on paper completion)?

If you are just at the putting down 20% deposit stage it sounds like you still have some way to go?
Old Mar 15th 2007, 5:39 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
Same thing happening on our urbanisation. Apparently we can move into the property and use the builders electric supply for no charge until this paperwork is completed. Our bank has said they will give us a mortgage but we don't start making payments until we have the paperwork completed which means we also can live mortgage free for as long as it takes. All this has been confirmed to us by our solicitor and mortgage broker and also by a resident on the urb who moved into his property in January - he is a solicitor! We are currently waiting for confirmation from the builder that we can move in.
If you have no LFO then you are actually living in the premises illegally as its not licenced for habitation.
One day you are using the electric and the whole place catches fire and also burns out 4 or 5 other properties.
Tell me what happens next ?
Old Mar 15th 2007, 5:43 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
If you have no LFO then you are actually living in the premises illegally as its not licenced for habitation.
One day you are using the electric and the whole place catches fire and also burns out 4 or 5 other properties.
Tell me what happens next ?
Good point jdr! This is one of the things keeping me awake. We are still waiting for confirmation from the builder.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 5:59 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
Good point jdr! This is one of the things keeping me awake. We are still waiting for confirmation from the builder.
Builders confirmation wouldn`t count to the Guardia, only legal paperwork.
Anyway what is the builder confirming, that its ok to break the law cos he said so.....
I dont think people realize the actual dangers and consequences of living in a premises that is not legally habitable.
Some would say "its ok the insurance will cover any accidents etc" sure they will, lol, Have they told the insurance company they are living illegally in a place with no habitation licence.
We all know what ins companies are like if they can dodge a claim.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 6:25 pm
Mortgage Wizard

Gill Stevens is an unknown quantity at this point

We completed without our Licence after long discussions with the builders who are quite reputable and they told us they have never had any problems getting them on any development. They had already received them for phase 1 and some for Phase 2. We are Phase 3.

We decided to go ahead and got keys in April 06. We were able to get our Iberdrola supply and water even when the LFO had not come through. Our builders told us that Iberdrola and water authority will do this if the builders show them a copy of the application for the LFO for each property. They sent us a copy of the LFO application to the town hall for our property so we knew they had applied.

We got the proper supply in August last year but the LFO did not come through until December.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 6:34 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Gill Stevens
We completed without our Licence after long discussions with the builders who are quite reputable and they told us they have never had any problems getting them on any development. They had already received them for phase 1 and some for Phase 2. We are Phase 3.

We decided to go ahead and got keys in April 06. We were able to get our Iberdrola supply and water even when the LFO had not come through. Our builders told us that Iberdrola and water authority will do this if the builders show them a copy of the application for the LFO for each property. They sent us a copy of the LFO application to the town hall for our property so we knew they had applied.

We got the proper supply in August last year but the LFO did not come through until December.
Yeah but the property should not of been lived in until it was licenced, re the name of the licence. ;-)
Old Mar 15th 2007, 6:51 pm
Smarties

SmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really nice

Originally Posted by keithwalters
Smarties, what stage is the property at? When is completion due (I mean physical completion, not rubber stamps on paper completion)?

If you are just at the putting down 20% deposit stage it sounds like you still have some way to go?
Well the property is deemed to be key ready so we asked for May and they said okay. Having been to the property it seemed complete and just needed a good clean up after any building job. The 20% is due end of this month with rest on mortgage when I get in the property but this is now a serious concern given some of the comments on here re insurance and things. Am I able to withdraw from this at this stage if I needed to and just lose the initial 3000 euros holding fee? That has to be an option? Not saying I will but I have read something in this thread about having to pay or being in breach of contract or something like that and need to be sure of my options.

Last edited by SmartiesUK; Mar 15th 2007 at 6:59 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 6:59 pm
Popping in for a chat

Well the property is deemed to be key ready so we asked for May and they said okay. Having been to the property it seemed complete and just needed a good clean up after any building job. The 20% is due end of this month with rest on mortgage when I get in the property but this is now a serious concern given some of the comments on here re insurance and things. Am I able to withdraw from this at this stage if I needed to and just lose the initial 3000 euros holding fee? That has to be an option? Not saying I will be read something in this thread about having to pay or being in breach of contract or something like that.
Smarties have you talked with your solicitor about your concerns? Are there already others living there, if so then talk with them and hopefully put your mind at rest. We feel it will be ok moving into ours as there are lots of others who have done the same and eventually got the LFO. It's mainly a case of mañana and nothing will speed things up We still have it at the back of our minds about pulling out if it goes over contract though. Just need to clarify this with our solicitor.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 7:03 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

SmartiesUK - do you not have a lawyer (an independent lawyer) acting for you? Did they not flag up that there was no LFO before you handed over any money?
A property cannot be key ready without an LFO.
PLEASE please please visit the Spanish Property Insight forum and read about the problems people are experiencing with properties with no LFO. You are likely to have problems with utilities, insurance, mortgage, reselling.....
Find yourself one that's already legal!
Old Mar 15th 2007, 7:15 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Mortgage free how do you work that out then
I know you are asking for advice here, but we are mere mortals on a forum. You really need to speak to your abogado, and hopefully he isn't the one that the estate agent recommended.

For what its worth, the paperwork on my house wasn't complete when it was finished but we still took the keys. Told the builder I needed a mortgage, and obviously the bank wouldn't give it. So I didn't make the final payment of over 35k until it was sorted which sort of gave them some impetus to get the matter finalised
Old Mar 15th 2007, 7:23 pm
Smarties

SmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
SmartiesUK - do you not have a lawyer (an independent lawyer) acting for you? Did they not flag up that there was no LFO before you handed over any money?
A property cannot be key ready without an LFO.
PLEASE please please visit the Spanish Property Insight forum and read about the problems people are experiencing with properties with no LFO. You are likely to have problems with utilities, insurance, mortgage, reselling.....
Find yourself one that's already legal!
I am purchasing through a major developer and paying over the odds for what I thought was peace of mind. The solicitor, well they are taking care of all that though this LFO was never discussed at any stage not once.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 7:27 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I am purchasing through a major developer and paying over the odds for what I thought was peace of mind. The solicitor, well they are taking care of all that though this LFO was never discussed at any stage not once.

Change your solicitor immediately ....... using the builders or agents pet solicitor is absolute folly!!!!
Old Mar 15th 2007, 7:36 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Well the property is deemed to be key ready so we asked for May and they said okay. Having been to the property it seemed complete and just needed a good clean up after any building job. The 20% is due end of this month with rest on mortgage when I get in the property but this is now a serious concern given some of the comments on here re insurance and things. Am I able to withdraw from this at this stage if I needed to and just lose the initial 3000 euros holding fee? That has to be an option? Not saying I will but I have read something in this thread about having to pay or being in breach of contract or something like that and need to be sure of my options.
Smarties, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be very careful about how you are interpreting the advice that is being given to you here.

By the sounds of your comments, eg withdrawing from the purchase seem to suggest that you believe you have put a deposit down on an ILLEGAL PROPERTY. I have read nothing so far to suggest that you have purchased an illegally built property. Why do you think you need to pull out???????

The delay between the property being physically finished, and having all its paperwork in place is ABSOLUTELY NORMAL. I wouldn´t expect it any other way!

It is also absolutely normal for people to complete on properties that do not yet have their LFOs in place - however, the British tend to be a little more "by the book" than the Spanish and many prefer not to complete without the LFO. That is absolutely fine, and they are well within their rights not to do so.

HOWEVER, pulling out of the sale altogether because the property doesn´t have its LFO yet is LUNACY!!!!!!!!! (and breach of the contract no doubt)

When you purchase a property off-plan (which technically you have done as you are buying from a developer) there is NEVER an LFO in place. How can there be?

If you want to be super duper sure, just tell the developer you are going to delay completion until the paperwork is stamped - but for god´s sake don´t pull out of the sale just because of some crap that you have read on a forum!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.