Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Legal inheritance question

Legal inheritance question

Old Mar 25th 2011, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

Sneezey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Legal inheritance question

Hi. I work for a solicitor here in Spain and I asked what an Escritura de Herencia is and told that it is NOT a Will

A Will in Spain is called a "Testamento", which states who inherits what.

An "Escritura de Herencia" is a document that you sign to say that you accept the inheritance. Which means say if you accepted a property that had more debts on it than it's value you would be liable to pay the debts, or if when the debts were paid there was a profit you would be entitled to that. So you need to check that the inheritance is worth more than what would be owed in taxes and debts. You have to take the rough with the smooth. There is a way that you can accept on condition that there are gains for you but you need to consult a solicitor for that.

The Libro de Familia is a Spanish document and is held by all Spanish Families. When you marry here you are issued with it and then register the birth of each child in it. If you are not Spanish you need your Passport to prove you are who you claim to be, and a birth certificate if you need to prove family relationships.

M

Last edited by Fred James; Mar 25th 2011 at 1:46 pm. Reason: Advertising removed