Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Learning Spanish - Your tips please :)

Learning Spanish - Your tips please :)

Old Dec 30th 2007, 6:12 pm
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning Spanish - Your tips please :)

Don't bother with all that malarkey!
Just watch re-runs of Miami Vice, recreate the accent of the Colombian drug dealers, and end every sentence with the words "ese" or "homes". Sorted!
Old Dec 30th 2007, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by XTreme
Don't bother with all that malarkey!
Just watch re-runs of Miami Vice, recreate the accent of the Colombian drug dealers, and end every sentence with the words "ese" or "homes". Sorted!
I think Fawlty Towers is better. Que?

Actually, there are two other methods we find that really helps boost the old lingo...

1) The kids' school books. The Spanish phonics books that the children read in 1o Primeria are great, and even the stories our 3 year old gets contain quite advanced sentences ("The red bus pulled away", "The squirrels stole the children's nuts").

2) The kids themselves. We've picked up many bizzare new words this school holiday that you just don't learn in evening class Spanish - like "sleeve". It's great for vocab building, although after four months they're already starting to overtake us and we had a 1 year head start!

Practice is the most important thing. Out of interest, how many people on the forum converse every day with a Spaniard? Our neighbours just love talking to us - and would talk all day if they could ("ah, here comes that English chap, let's all talk to him..!").

And of course booking doctors, dentists, vets and the inevitable 'my child wants to come and play at your house' that you get at school means we do get practice. And in McDonalds the other day, we even gave an impromptu English lesson to some of the staff who were on an English course!!

I wouldn't say either of us find Spanish 'easy', but we are both understanding more and querying things less.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

"Out of interest, how many people on the forum converse every day with a Spaniard?" QUOTE

I do!

As far as new vocabulary is concerned, this morning I was out walking with a group of friends and I wanted to know what a particular bird was called.
I was told it was an "AGUANIEVE" which I thought was a bit strange, because of course that literally means "water - snow", which translates to "sleet!"
As far as I know there isn't a bird called a sleet?? (Not that I know anything about birds!)

I have asked my ornithologist friend if he can identify it in English.
Here's a photo, in case anyone can help with an English identification/translation please?

PS twyntub, I think your approach to learning and life in Spain is wonderful
Attached Thumbnails Learning Spanish - Your tips please :)-bird-aguanieve.jpg  
Old Dec 30th 2007, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

sarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisca
"Out of interest, how many people on the forum converse every day with a Spaniard?" QUOTE

I do!

As far as new vocabulary is concerned, this morning I was out walking with a group of friends and I wanted to know what a particular bird was called.
I was told it was an "AGUANIEVE" which I thought was a bit strange, because of course that literally means "water - snow", which translates to "sleet!"
As far as I know there isn't a bird called a sleet?? (Not that I know anything about birds!)

Here's a photo, in case anyone can help with an English identification/translation please?

PS twyntub, I think your approach to learning and life in Spain is wonderful

I suppose it could translate to 'it comes when it is hissing down, and its bloody freezing!'
Old Dec 30th 2007, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahchirles
I suppose it could translate to 'it comes when it is hissing down, and its bloody freezing!'
Old Dec 31st 2007, 6:28 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the white on it reminds them of icecream, icecream water bird. ;-))
Old Dec 31st 2007, 7:03 am
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

"Out of interest, how many people on the forum converse every day with a Spaniard?"

I do!
And me Sam.....and I tell them all they're lazy dagos and that I deserve more respect because I'm a very important Guiri!
(Except the ladies of course....I tell them all they're the most beautiful women in the world)

If you want to break the ice with Spaniards just keep calling yourself a Guiri! At first they don't know what to do or say, cos they think we don't know what they call us. Then when they realise you find it funny they really have a good laugh about it....and will call you a Guiri at every opportunity. So you call them a Dago in response!

As a point of interest, I'm yet to find a Spaniard who knew about that slang term....and every one I've told has a good laugh about it! In fact they're quite proud that Brits have taken the time, and consider them important enough to have one!

So....make 2008 The Year of the Dago....you'll be glad you did!

(Why have I got a feeling that Babelfish boy is going to be here soon)
Old Jan 8th 2008, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi folks!

Just in case anyone was remotely interested, the bird I was trying to identify in post no: 63 was a LAPWING - or so I'm reliably informed by my 11 year old ornitholgy expert!
Nothing to do with water or snow then!
Old Jan 8th 2008, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

Elly May has a brilliant futureElly May has a brilliant futureElly May has a brilliant futureElly May has a brilliant futureElly May has a brilliant futureElly May has a brilliant futureElly May has a brilliant future

I've just realised that I haven't seen many posts from Andrew (online amiga) for a long time either??
Do you know how he's getting on?
If this is who you mean, he posted yesterday as below

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504506

Last edited by Elly May; Jan 8th 2008 at 11:52 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keri2323
I am trying to get to grips with the language and just wondered if any of you guys had any tips for me? As in which books to read, which courses to buy.

I know that there is probably no replacement for being there, but I dont want to order a giraffe and chips when i get there, you get my drift?

Thanks again
I wonder if Keri ever finished his album, he hasnt been around since 11/11/07 and doesnt go on hotmail anymore.

As for learning spanish, the best way is to find a nightschool class that teaches conversational spanish.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 8:05 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
I wonder if Keri ever finished his album, he hasnt been around since 11/11/07 and doesnt go on hotmail anymore.

As for learning spanish, the best way is to find a nightschool class that teaches conversational spanish.
I seem to remember that he was going to study law and if he has gone down that route I doubt whether he has had any time free from his studies to finish his album.

Rosemary