Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Learning Spanish - Your tips please :)

Learning Spanish - Your tips please :)

Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:43 pm
I have a member

Keri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really nice
Default Learning Spanish - Your tips please :)

I am trying to get to grips with the language and just wondered if any of you guys had any tips for me? As in which books to read, which courses to buy.

I know that there is probably no replacement for being there, but I dont want to order a giraffe and chips when i get there, you get my drift?

Thanks again
Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning Spanish - Your tips please :)

Try and get hold of this book.
"Madrigal's magic key to Spanish" by Margarita Madrigal.
I found this an excellent approach to learning Spanish. Allthough it is aimed at Americans learning Latin Spanish, I found it very easy to follow and learned very quickly enough to hold a conversation.

Try the publishers.
www.broadwaybooks.com
Old Apr 11th 2007, 1:11 am
I have a member

Keri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really nice

Thank you big wheels

(Never thought Id put that sentence together in my lifetime )
Old Apr 11th 2007, 5:25 am
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice

Originally Posted by Keri2323
Thank you big wheels

(Never thought Id put that sentence together in my lifetime )
we're using the roseta stone package, unfortunatly there is no easy way to learn spanish, just hard work.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 7:22 am
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm using the BBC's language book (comes with 2 cds that you use in conjunction with the book) in attempting Portugese. If the Spanish version is as good as the Portugese one is then I'd deffo recommend it.

But I don't know so I ermmm....... can't

If that makes any sense?
Old Apr 11th 2007, 7:40 am
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

I have the spanish language cds by Michele Thomas. I beleive they were actually given away in a british newspaper not so long ago. Ive had them on in the car for the last 2 - 3 months and its slowlys sinking in after replaying and replaying. Theyre very good he explains exactly how the language works so that you should actually be able to suss out how to say something if you dont actually know how to say it. I have the whole lot on MP3. So if these CDs are now deemed freeware then i 'could' host them but only if im sure its legal to do so!
Old Apr 11th 2007, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

vox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the rough

I am trying to get to grips with the language and just wondered if any of you guys had any tips for me? As in which books to read, which courses to buy.

I know that there is probably no replacement for being there, but I dont want to order a giraffe and chips when i get there, you get my drift?

Thanks again
We are using a package called LINKWORDLANGUAGES.COM, the DVD costs about £30 but this is definately the best we have tried. You can sample test on their web site it links word to a picture, try the web for a taster!
Old Apr 11th 2007, 8:36 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again
try this site, could be useful. I did have a site that listed words and gave you word games etc, but, unfortunately it seems to have disappeared from my computer, but have since been put onto this site by this forum.

http://www.spanishspanish.com/
Old Apr 11th 2007, 8:58 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tim hortons man
we're using the roseta stone package, unfortunatly there is no easy way to learn spanish, just hard work.
Is it good? I've seen it advertised on TV and done a demonstration on line and it seemed good.
Unfortunately our language learning got put on hold with the building work, but I now know how to ask for most things in a builders yard!!! You'd be suprised how appreciative they have been at the yard with me asking for everything in Spanish
Old Apr 11th 2007, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Compost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really nice

Hi Keri, Over the years, I have used a number of courses, 'Espana Viva', 'Pasos', Initially they were very helpful, had tapes with them, so you could listen to pronounciation. The language included was useful stuff that you would use on a daily basis, how to greet people, how to request and give directions, how to manage shopping, ordering food in restaurants etc. I believe you can borrow any of these from a library.

As well as those I use a little book called, 'Spanish Verbs and Essentials of Grammar' by Ina W Ramboz. It is exactly what it says it is, in a small paperback. It is easy to find the specific area of grammar that you want without wading through masses of other stuff. I find it really useful, and easy to use.

A good dictionary, I think is essential. I have a large Harraps that I use at home, and a small one that I carry around with me.

My latest aquisition is a book called, '6,000 Essential Spanish Words'. It has as the title suggests, masses of vocabulary, but unlike a dictionary, the words are grouped, so that if for example you were going to buy a car, or rent a house, or whatever, you could go straight to the relevant section.

I've also found Spanish magazines very useful. 'Prima' 'Bella' lots of others. Good for specific situations, gardening, cooking, health issues, problems, short stories. All sorts of everyday language, and some colloquial turns of phrase.

My main difficulty with the language, is in hearing and understanding what people are saying to me, particularly when they are speaking at speed. I have found it invaluable to be able to ask people to speak more slowly, or to repeat something. My experience is that people are more than willing to help, when they can see you are making an effort.

I nearly forgot, another course I have recently used is the Linguaphone All Talk course. There are 16 cd's which take you through basic language. Very helpful for developing listening and understanding. You have an opportunity to repeat items of language in the pauses that are programmed in. I guess I would recommend this as a good way to start to speak and hear, however Had I not had a fair grounding in grammar, I would have found it a bit confusing.

I hope this will help in some way. As you can see I have used and still use most of the above. I am in no way fluent, but can manage most situations at my own speed, liberally punctuated by sign language and good will.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 10:40 am
I have a member

Hey guys, thats is ALL completely helpful, will be researching now...
Old Apr 11th 2007, 10:52 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys, thats is ALL completely helpful, will be researching now...
I used to go to the carboots and buy the kids books, like "First thousand words in Spanish" and "Spanish for beginners" etc, the last one is net linked HERE and enter "Spanish for begginers"
Old Apr 11th 2007, 11:41 am
Just Joined

greenfingers is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Learning Spanish - Your tips please :)

I came across this site - www.synergyspanish.com which has helped me tremendously. You can view the course and do the first bit for free, then its 39.95 US Dollars for the whole course audio and written and its great, really easy to understand and follow. Good Luck !
Old Apr 11th 2007, 11:52 am
Aussie wannabe!!

LoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really nice

I tried a number of books and courses, even had a spanish teacher for some time but found i picked up most of my spanish by working for spanish people that spoke little english you soon catch on
Old Apr 11th 2007, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Kyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really nice

Originally Posted by kellylmc
I tried a number of books and courses, even had a spanish teacher for some time but found i picked up most of my spanish by working for spanish people that spoke little english
you soon catch on
I really hope so! My Spanish is coming along rather too slowly for my liking even though I try to study a little every day. I can recommend the BBC language course - the online version is interactive and good fun or you can buy the book with CDs. I also like the online free stuff in Learn Spanish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.